More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
RFS

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Postby RFS » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:53 pm

IAN1955 wrote:Well I am flabbergasted, you can buy this for about £24.99 - £ 29.99, just look at this price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby- ... Swk09eJ3kX

I suspect most of these £1000 items are just placeholders - he doesn't actually have the items. If he gets to have the item for sale, he'll alter the price accordingly. Or if he has something different to sell he'll just amend one of these items. Not sure what the benefits are of this method but there must be something ....
Last edited by RFS on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Smith

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:09 pm

IAN1955 wrote:Thought if they changed the price I would do a screenshot.

Stunned, if you look at this other sellers items they all start at a £1,000

I found that seller a couple of months ago, came up as similar items to something else I was looking at. I was tempted to send them a message, but didn’t. No surprise to find it’s all still for sale.

DonB

Postby DonB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Not on eB*y, but spotted by my partner today in an "antique" shop in Bakewell.

40 quid?
This guy makes Gostude look cheap...
Attachments
IMG-20201027-WA0000.jpg
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:34 am

I'm honestly agog this morning.
I purchase a piece of Peco flexi-track off of ebay and the seller has decided to pack it by bending the track into an almost circle breaking off many sleepers in the process!! :evil:
The stupidity of some people!!

The sellers name is alwayshobbies
AVOID so your not let down.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:14 pm

A lot of places won't post single lengths of flexi. Too easily damaged in transit. It's a problem in lockdown if you don't have a model shop in your area, but one I'll live with. Having to travel out of area to buy one length of track can be a bind, I tend to do it when I'm travelling in the vicinity of a model shop for some other reason. I have a one metre by 5cm plywood strip which has travelled with me to Manchester on occasions, so that I've returned home with a couple of yards of code 75 taped to it. 75 bends more readily than code 100 and it's easier to rip the rail from the chairs, so I'm extra careful with it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:15 pm

There must be a reason, love to know the rationale behind it :o :lol: :lol: :lol: and all the rest of his stuff is £9.999.00p

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-R422- ... Sw0kpfjfBL

DonB

Postby DonB » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:13 am

Anyone fancy a New Measurement Train?
An absolute steal...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293874095876

Edited to add:

What's with the current eBay trend with some sellers of listing their items with a four or five-figure price?
Does anyone know the rationale behind this? I'm completely baffled...
Don

Metr0Land

Postby Metr0Land » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm

DonB wrote:Anyone fancy a New Measurement Train?
An absolute steal...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293874095876

Edited to add:

What's with the current eBay trend with some sellers of listing their items with a four or five-figure price?
Does anyone know the rationale behind this? I'm completely baffled...

Free listing days. Get your stock listed quickly at some silly price then come back later and adjust it (or not if you forget it).

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:29 pm

You looked at what he says he has for sale, didn't you! I bet if there was something there that you really wanted and you queried the price, you'd be on the hook. He would know that you wanted it, could work out how much he could get from you and the price would seem reasonable by comparison. I don't like the practise and won't deal with them as a consequence. I suppose he would say that he was saving you the trouble of going looking for one in the first place. It doesn't work if a big part of your enjoyment is the looking.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:09 am

I tend to scroll past items like those. Same where the seller is obviously parting-out perfectly good locos (usually, but not limited to, Lima) for extra £££. Typical eBay MGBs.

Then there's this seller. Yes, his items are usually quite well executed, but is there really that much demand for scrapyard-condition items?
Don

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 am

Don

Judging by his feedback score there is a lot of demand for his scrapyard models. He has 1270 feedbacks in 12 months and so that is at the very least 1270 sales. Remember that not everyone leaves feedback and if someone buys two/three or more iems in one sale and leaves feedback for all of them it only increases the feedback score by one.

So I would say that this person is a very successful ebay seller with a product which is very popular.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Metr0Land wrote:Free listing days. Get your stock listed quickly at some silly price then come back later and adjust it (or not if you forget it).

On this subject, did you know members that you can SCHEDULE your items to start when you want on ebay? It's lower down on the page as your creating your listing.
I often set up sales this way so they start and end when I want rather than as I list them.
This way it gives me time to amend any listings mistakes at leisure rather than rushed as they are going or are 'live'.
Hope it helps :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:04 pm

DonB wrote:Then there's this seller. Yes, his items are usually quite well executed, but is there really that much demand for scrapyard-condition items?

I quite like the look of some of those, and if they don't go up too much by the end, they're not a bad price.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:42 am

DonB wrote:...Same where the seller is obviously parting-out perfectly good locos (usually, but not limited to, Lima) for extra £££. Typical eBay MGBs....

I would see this as a valuable service, rather then money grabbing. I only need a pair of cosmetic bogie frames, or a body, or a motor unit, or a set of wheels. etc. for a repair job or a project; and here's someone that will sell me just that required piece. With manufacturer spares supply often limited on current products, and simply 'no manufacturer supply' for past product such as Lima, Wrenn, H-D, Triang, Mainline, Airfix GMR; the 'breakers' are very helpful indeed.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Not ebay, but facebook and this could belong in the bargain section for all I know, but how about an entire Triang TT gold plated Merchant Navy and coaches for a grand? Certainly Bling and I've never seen one before

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”