More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
TimberSurf

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:20 pm

So the brass plug pins are coated with a precious metal, utterly pointless unless you buy a socket with similarly coated receptacles. Or do they sell those too? P.S. Plating on both will do nothing except improve the space available for money in your wallet! :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Why would you bid on a used Hornby Railroad A4 starting at £100 when you could get a new A4 with TTS sound for just a few pounds more from Model Railways Direct?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DCC-G ... SwmnFeU9LA

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/l ... tts-sound/

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:54 pm

TimberSurf wrote:So the brass plug pins are coated with a precious metal, utterly pointless unless you buy a socket with similarly coated receptacles ...
Of course the various mains plugs and connectors of the recording, editing and production transfer kit were likewise equipped - not! This was where the falsity of the proposition was so clear. If this was a factor that really mattered then it would be vital to use it at the recording stage. Because what's in the recording is effectively 'baked in' over multiple processing stages and cannot subsequently be removed.

TimberSurf wrote:... Or do they sell those too? ...

And there you put your finger right on it. A great many of those puffing this stuff were directly or indirectly engaged in the retail trade. And seemed to be able to discover an endless stream of necessary products that would yet further improve audio replay.

mkrob wrote:Why would you bid on a used Hornby Railroad A4 starting at £100 when you could get a new A4 with TTS sound for just a few pounds more from Model Railways Direct?...

My working hypothesis for this very frequently observed behaviour is that a fair proportion of those bidding are there first and foremost to have fun with their money. Instead of gambling on the gees or some other sport, they gamble on winning actual items against others - possibly items they are actually interested in - so that when they 'win' there's a 'trophy' to show for it.

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:17 pm

Did you also notice Bigmet,that the description -Item specifics,was incorrect/misleading. The MPN had changed to R3395TTS from R2784X (at the top of the ad) & also says it has sound function. It also says its Era 3,when it is actually Era 5 & limited edition! Don't these people read what they are selling.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184310101418

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:13 pm

This is a perfect example of what is encouraged by the likes of a certain Mr G. and others who advertise at outrageously inflated prices on the skimpiest of reasons "RARE" seeming to mean "none on the first page of my search", "Scratch or Kit built" for minor mod or slight livery change. Sellers who may have little idea of the value see those adds and think they can command the same prices too.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:26 am

Skaledale canal boat ,starting price of £49.99 and has one bid on it ,, :o

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:04 pm

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:30 am

Quite obviously the estate has sold all Model railway stock to a dealer, who is of the opinion that theses items are worth a fortune!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/German-ww2-r ... SwL7tfFAe~

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:08 am

TimberSurf wrote:Quite obviously the estate has sold all Model railway stock to a dealer, who is of the opinion that theses items are worth a fortune!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/German-ww2-r ... SwL7tfFAe~

Agree - The postage is probably more than the model is worth - £28.99. He is looking for £185.00 for the little wagon with the plane on it that can be seen behind in one of the photos. On closer inspection it looks to me like a scratch-built model of no fixed prototype, bits of various wagons stuck together to give a reasonably convincing model, but I think I'll pass.

edit - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbyboss-German-Railway-Leopold-Assembly/dp/B001A5JLLI - £34 off Amazon

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:37 pm

Seen it all now! I track these on Ebay. They were down to £300 new at one point, now no longer made, second hand regularly go for £600-800, thought they may get to £1,000, but this takes the biscuit at €2,000!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZL009-HELJAN ... SwjmpevV42

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:08 am

TimberSurf wrote:Seen it all now! I track these on Ebay. They were down to £300 new at one point, now no longer made, second hand regularly go for £600-800, thought they may get to £1,000, but this takes the biscuit at €2,000!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZL009-HELJAN ... SwjmpevV42

Especially as the description translates as "Very good condition but incomplete (the base is missing)". :D
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Especially as the description translates as "Very good condition but incomplete (the base is missing)". :D

OMG! I didn't even notice that! Yes complete rip off then!

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:36 pm

TimberSurf wrote:So the brass plug pins are coated with a precious metal, utterly pointless unless you buy a socket with similarly coated receptacles. Or do they sell those too? P.S. Plating on both will do nothing except improve the space available for money in your wallet! :lol:

I had this last time I bought a TV. It's a smart TV sir! It needs gold-plated leads for it to work properly, only £50.
Utter Twaddle. As my electronic engineer son said, it's digital either the 0s and 1s get through or they don't. The strength of the 0s and 1s is irrelevant.

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:30 pm

Well I am flabbergasted, you can buy this for about £24.99 - £ 29.99, just look at this price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby- ... Swk09eJ3kX

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Thought if they changed the price I would do a screenshot.

Stunned, if you look at this other sellers items they all start at a £1,000
Attachments
Screenshot (52).png

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”