More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
actonnorth

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Postby actonnorth » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1980 ... .l4275.c10

Check out the description to see the nonsense. It’s ‘unmarked’ apart from the missing couplers and massive burn to the side of the coach. But apparently, the burn is ‘weathering’.

It’s tragically hilarious.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Fag or soldering iron? Brave but foolhardy attempt to make it seem deliberate.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Fag or soldering iron? Brave but foolhardy attempt to make it seem deliberate.

I continue to be amazed at the apparent complete incompetence of some modellers. Examples received are not confined to inexpensive models but also to very expensive coaches that exhibit burn marks and paint splatter from overspraying in the vicinity as well as evidence of abuse or misuse. I was not aware that juvenile primates now enjoy their railway modelling along with their human relatives.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 pm

GWR_fan wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:Fag or soldering iron? Brave but foolhardy attempt to make it seem deliberate.

I continue to be amazed at the apparent complete incompetence of some modellers. Examples received are not confined to inexpensive models but also to very expensive coaches that exhibit burn marks and paint splatter from overspraying in the vicinity as well as evidence of abuse or misuse. I was not aware that juvenile primates now enjoy their railway modelling along with their human relatives.

This is exactly why you buy a knackered old relic to practice on NOT A NEW MODEL.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

lenht1951

Postby lenht1951 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:32 am

One very experienced seller who really should know better has three listed describing them as "3 DAPOL or similar BR Mk 1 CORRIDOR COACHES in BR Maroon Livery OO Gauge". In all fairness to the dealer the starting price is only £15 so he's hardly describing them as Bachmann. or attempting to make a huge profit on them, and as the old saying goes 'buyer beware'. :D

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 am

I have purchased numerous items from this seller for many years and have him on my favourites list of eBay sellers. My point is that he knows better and well knows that the items are not Dapol based. Irrespective of starting price the seller is manipulating the item listing description to create greater exposure than he would get by stating the true source of the cars.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:42 am

GWR_fan wrote: I was not aware that juvenile primates now enjoy their railway modelling along with their human relatives.

In all fairness not everyone has the same level of skills as you & we all need to start somewhere, it’s hard to know the story behind it just from an eBay listing.

Being dislexic I get this a fair bit in relation to my spelling etc, normally along the lines of ‘but it’s so easy, how could you get it wrong?’ - the answer is it may be easy for you but for me it’s really challenging, everyone’s different and some people take things for granted not realising how hard it is for others.

It’s easy enough to do, I get very fed up with people who don’t know how to use computers, normally after explaining it multiple times :lol: , but I have grown up with computers and have a knack for using them whereas others don’t and it’s easy to forget that.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 am

GWR_fan wrote:I have purchased numerous items from this seller for many years and have him on my favourites list of eBay sellers. My point is that he knows better and well knows that the items are not Dapol based. Irrespective of starting price the seller is manipulating the item listing description to create greater exposure than he would get by stating the true source of the cars.

Don't think in this case it is a deliberate attempt to mislead, more a clumsy attempt to get views for the listing, a better description would be "Mk 1 coaches, suit Dapol, Hornby, Bachmann etc" simply because statistically it seems that people will search under the brand names rather than "Mk 1 coach". It is all about getting views and if you don't describe it to be viewed you will not sell. Its not ideal but that is Ebay

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:56 am

Alex,
with the damage that I have seen done to expensive coaches and locomotives I feel it is either clumsiness, abuse or simply perhaps we are all getting old (well some of us) and maybe not as dexterous as we once were.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:21 pm

I know this stuff is the 'Dogs #ollocks' and would love to get my hands on some, but this guy is just taking the #iss!
Johnsons Klear

Cheeky blighter wants postage, for that price, surely it warrants free P&P! :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Klearly Overpriced!! (by so much I had to share it on the over places equivalent forum) :D
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:06 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Klearly Overpriced!! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have also shared on my other forum, just happened to spot and advert for an old bottle for £50, was going to share that until I saw this one! :o
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Not just this item but many of the others seem wrong;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R6561 ... %7Ciid%3A1

My honest view is that they seem to be advertising items they don't actually have. If you order something it will come from a third party (like Amazon) because no one in their right mind is going to pay more than three times what something is worth. I can see no other reason for such inflated prices.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:58 pm

looking at all his stuff for sale, I think he's just a chancer waiting for some idiot to buy something.

Postby 4472 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:43 am

Have you seen some of the prices asked for the Hornby Christmas wagon
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”