Big Delivery

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tom@Crewe

Big Delivery

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:54 am

I ordered, I paid, I waited in anticipation and Mr. Postie came while I was out!
I had to wait 24 Hrs before I could pick it up. (is the excitement building?)
I had my red card, also proof I am me and set off.
All excited at the counter, handed over the card proved I was in fact me.
I was handed the parcel and rushed home to open it (keeping to the speed limits)

I opened it and checked the contents

"Its all here...Yippy"

"Perfection"

WOW! can you ever over do packaging?????????????????
Never enough time...........

b308

Re: Big Delivery

Postby b308 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am

What idiot of a company sent that? Name and shame!

Blueberry

Postby Blueberry » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 am

Tom@Crewe wrote:
WOW! can you ever over do packaging?????????????????

Yes. Ridiculous! Trying to get to a Peco point is sooooooo difficult. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it is ridiculous the size of the boxes for small items.

The thing is, a Company can get a really cheap rate on the amount of parcels they post per year. The more they post the cheaper the postage. Using one size box (rather than different sizes) works out far cheaper for the Company, also.

It would be more expensive if they sent packets out by letter post as well.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:04 am

I got something of the same size last week. Hidden, quite successfully, in all of the packaging was a packet of 10 Dapol N gauge Easi-shunt couplings. In contrast I got a boxed Arnold n gauge DRG class 95 loco in a double wrap of cardboard which was in pristine condition.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:32 am

glencairn wrote:The thing is, a Company can get a really cheap rate on the amount of parcels they post per year. The more they post the cheaper the postage. Using one size box (rather than different sizes) works out far cheaper for the Company, also.

Perhaps they need to negotiate better with the parcel delivery company. Looking at it from a green angle, at least the cardboard is recyclable, but the plastic bubble wrap... I think time has come for change...

Who was it, though?

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Looks like Hattons given what looks like one of their catalogues still in the bubble wrap....

Overpacking doesn't hurt but that is overkill. My experience of RM includes a parcel with a vehicle tyre mark on it......
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:28 pm

b308 wrote:
glencairn wrote:The thing is, a Company can get a really cheap rate on the amount of parcels they post per year. The more they post the cheaper the postage. Using one size box (rather than different sizes) works out far cheaper for the Company, also.

Perhaps they need to negotiate better with the parcel delivery company.

It is not the parcel delivery Company at fault. The price negotiated is per parcel It can be as small as, say a letter, or over a certain size and or weight.

It is the Company that wants the parcel delivering who is at fault. Having different size boxes cost the Company more than if they used one size only.

Glencairn

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:11 pm

glencairn wrote:[ Having different size boxes cost the Company more than if they used one size only.

I'm perhaps sounding a bit thick but how is that the case? We are talking a company that sends out large numbers of all sorts of different sized goods then surely they'd have the muscle to even the cost of the boxes and as a smaller box uses less material it could work out cheaper... Parcelling them up would not cost any different either.

And they wonder why many of us are deeply sceptical about our ability to control waste and be more "green"!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:42 pm

b308 wrote:
glencairn wrote:[ Having different size boxes cost the Company more than if they used one size only.

I'm perhaps sounding a bit thick but how is that the case? We are talking a company that sends out large numbers of all sorts of different sized goods then surely they'd have the muscle to even the cost of the boxes and as a smaller box uses less material it could work out cheaper... Parcelling them up would not cost any different either.

And they wonder why many of us are deeply sceptical about our ability to control waste and be more "green"!

One wonders why, in a way, they do it, but having seen it from both sides even big Companies 'try to save money'. Whether it is false economy or not I do not know, but the purchasing of one size box is their thinking. Personally I do not think it is cheaper, but the next time you receive a large parcel with next to nothing in you will know why your recycle bin is suddenly full.

Glencairn

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:36 pm

b308 wrote:

You are right to be sceptical and ask the question. The shipping business is looking at the efficiency of its business process, and may well have made the right trade-offs in deciding on the particular 'small box' they currently use. That trade off is likely to be dependent on many factors, and better technique may offer greater efficiency in the future.

I can see an opportunity for a box making machine that makes the boxes bespoke size in response to the picking process. Potentially no less efficient to the shipping outfit as a compact card feedstock roll can supply 'all box sizes' up to the capacity of the machine, with savings in quantity of card and other packaging used. (It might be optimal to go for the nearest of a defined range of standard size boxes for considerations such as automated handling and packing into the vehicle.)

If there's a demand to up efficiency in this way 'someone' will likely come up with an economic way of doing this - for all I know it may well already exist, and is simply waiting for enough customer pressure to end the nonsense of 'tiny shipment, vast box'...

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Better than what I got the other day, I was waiting for a parcel to be delivered by Australia Post when I heard a rather loud bang at my front door, I opened the door to find that the postman had chucked the parcel onto my concrete doorstep and bolted, the parcel was a plastic bag inside was a loco without any protective packing other than the original box, I expected to open it and find the loco had been broken but thankfully it was OK, as an ex Postman myself I know how the 4ft bags of parcels get thrown off the back of a lorry/truck onto the ground and got used to hearing things like Franklin Mint plates getting smashed.
Regards
Nobby

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am

WOW :o FREE SPACE QUILT!!!! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”