Theft at GC Model Event

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
RailwayRobbo

Theft at GC Model Event

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I paid my annual visit to the GC Model Event today (Saturday).
Not long after I got there I was hanging my ear on a conversation the guy stood next to me was having with one of the traders (Digitrains).
Turns out that an opportunist theif (theives?) Had entered the main marquee sometime during Friday/Saturday night and stole all the traders locomotives he had for sale off his stand. It appears the security GCR had employed where up at the other end of the marquee having a chat at the time. The police are involved.
Later as I was leaving I heard that one of the stolen locos had been found near the turntable. I don't know how many locos in total had been stolen.
On a happier note the event was a good one as usual and was quite busy. Don't know if it was just me but there seemed to be mored N guage layouts than usual. On the full size railway they had 2 x 8Fs in steam (48305 and 48624) which was good to see and Standard tender engine 73125 plus a couple of diesels and a 4 car DMU.

Pete (RailwayRobbo).

Bufferstop

Re: Theft at GC Model Event

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 pm

From the time stuff goes in to the time it comes out again, it should never be totally unattended. If everyone brings along one bod who is assigned to being a nosey b***** you should have a useful security squad.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am

There are a few rotten apples about.
Things get stolen, usually for selling cheap for anything the thief can get.
Sometimes layouts destroyed for morbid 'fun'
I'm always anxious about my 'stuff' overnight, but tents are somewhat less secure than
school halls.
I suppose that if you're going to be a trader, or exhibitor you're prepared to take the
risk ? Certainly we have insurance for things contained in our exhibitions, but money
for layouts is not the problem. My big layout is out in July, so many years of work, the
actual value pales into insignificance in comparison to the time and emotional value.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:25 am

I used to be a member of couple of clubs in different places as we moved for reasons of work mainly. I dont remember any incidents of vandalism years ago. I do remember the odd theft but it was rare at exhibitions. I had one of my locos nicked once and it was one which was scratch built as well. You could not even get a kit version of it. And still can't far as I know. So it could have been a one off. I doubt it though because I made it from plans in the Model Railway Constructor magazine. :D So I reckon others did the same model.
It worked last time I used it..............John

thrummymalc

Postby thrummymalc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:18 am

Was at the show on the Friday and said to my brother as we left.." after what happened the other week at Stamford, the security will be tight" How wrong was I ?. At least nothing got vandalised . Some ones knuckles need rapping for this. As a GCR member I think its embarrassing .
Started out with nothing...still got most of it left.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:55 am

Was it only the one trader that lost stock, reported elsewhere as valued at £17 grand, seems odd that only one lost stock, were they in a tent on their own.

Sounds like it was very targeted if Digitrains was the only one hit?

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 am

There was stuff taken from other traders and exhibitors. Must have taken a while, whoever was on security needs a rocket, or investigation.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Sounds like an inside job 8)

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:43 pm

One of the old tricks used at some shows was for the thief or thieves to hide somewhere and wait for everyone to have left before going through the "list" of high value things they had seen through the day before retiring to their hiding place and waiting for the public to come in and leaving.

I strongly suspect that the theft was planned carefully and the above is how it was done but for the security guards to not be on regular patrol....something smells very, very rotten here. If it were me in their shoes I would be sat in the walkthrough between the marquee's and having my chat there.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Hired in security won't n know whether or no someone should be where they are, they need to be kept informed of there not being anyone at a stand or layout. Those logo T shirts are a great help, but as I said someone from the group to look after your own security, even if it's just a case of keeping the hired help informed in what's going on.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”