Insurance

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Insurance

Postby IAN1955 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:00 pm

This may have been asked before so apologies.

My home contents insurance policy is due for renewal and upon ringing them (Churchill) I asked do they insure model railways, they said is anyone item valued over £1000, no was my reply, after a long discussion which was like extracting teeth, I told them my layout was worth in excess of £3k also associated tools.
I could not get them to understand that it was in a separate building with good security locks and double glazed locking system, it is also alarmed, they could not provide the type of insurance that I wanted (bit of a jobsworth).

Now my question is, I googled model Train insurance and got all sorts of weird results, do any of the members recommend a good one who would pay out if the whole lot got robbed, if I was away from the home and the potential villains smashed into my unit.

footplate1947

Re: Insurance

Postby footplate1947 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:09 am

My policy is with my Bank through Aviva and I made the same enquiry Last year, (just to make sure all was OK) the only difference is my layout is in a spare room. When I phoned up I had a similar reply about the value of each individual item. The value of a layout and stock is often far in excess of £3000 mine would be. I have several locos alone worth more than £400 each. Let alone all the less value Items.
Yes it is all ensured no problem but I must make sure there is and inventory and values as they consider the collection to be single items. They told me.
May I suggest that you get in touch with a good Insurance agent, and he or she should be able to search around for underwriters who will offer the policy you need.
That is what I would do............
Last edited by footplate1947 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
It worked last time I used it..............John

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:15 am

Make a catalogue of all your rolling stock, as detailed as you can, then take pictures of them and the build and include raw materials and tools. It is very difficult for an insurer to argue against 'in context' pictures. Otherwise they will come up with a nominal sum and it will be woefully short of the value.
Bottom line, is it's down to you to be diligent and catalogue and document the quantity.

If you do it electronically and place it on the cloud, even if the house burns down, you will still have a copy :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:30 am

I think the majority of good insurance companies have as household items and so long as no individual item is
of greater than 1K it's covered. Remember however that you're total insured value needs to include all your railway
items as well as all other household contents, appliances, clothes, furniture, carpets, computers, cameras and so
on.
They often will require proof that you actually 'had' the items, by holding receipts, or as suggested photographic
proof.
It's reasons like this that some cheap insurances and not so secure for more obscure requirements. And tend to
sting you if you have as an added on extra.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:52 pm

IAN1955 wrote:This may have been asked before so apologies.

Yes...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54229&p=668080&hilit=layout+insurance#p668080

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”