Making life easy

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
JohnDisdle

Making life easy

Postby JohnDisdle » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Although my railway is hinged to the wall, moving everything off that isn't nailed down, can be a pain.
Having spent most of last week under the railway, propped up on one elbow, only leaves one hand free. There had to be an answer, and a little thought produced a result.

I needed a backrest, and sit on the floor. The backrest moved, so with two pieces of wood, one for the back, and one the seat, joined with two hinges, it worked. The third hinge connects the top of the back to a strip of wood to prop the backrest up. The length of the strip determines how far you need to recline, and a piece of string holds it in place.
I can now recline under the railway, and work with both hands...... Why didn't I think of that before!!!

muggins

Re: Making life easy

Postby muggins » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:32 pm

A bean bag serves the same purpose for me :)

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:47 pm

I like the bean bag idea :) Make sure you get a leather or tuff matirial shirt or apron when soldering overhead so you dont get blob of hot solder on your chest or even worse vonerable places.. And a pair of eye protector glasses as well. ..........John
It worked last time I used it..............John

Ewood

Postby Ewood » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Mine comes apart completely, luckily I've made it so you can work on every individual part and the board when it's up in the virtical position

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 am

I cut the legs off an old chair (steel legs), and using the base of the cushion, screwed four four inch rubber castors to it and I now have a mobile under layout chair.
Pete.

JohnDisdle

Postby JohnDisdle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:00 am

Certainly some variations there! Sitting upright would be difficult for me, hence the backrest. I have taken note of the solder problem, it's bad enough on the carpet...

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Soldering under the board? Er, no thanks. I used suitcase connectors. If they can survive under a car bonnet I don't see much to trouble them under a model railway baseboard.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”