Wheels

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Wheels

Postby IAN1955 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Hello again, I have just recently been given some 00 gauge wagons in various conditions and different manufacturers, some of the wagons had missing wheels or non at all, is there any type that I need to buy or are they all the same.
Thanks in advance
Ian

Bufferstop

Re: Wheels

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Wagon wheels come in various types, spoked, two hole, three hole and disc. There are various diameters but the are nominally 12mm, ie. 3feet in 4mm scale. Hornby and Bachmann use the same axle length but some Dapol wagons are shorter. I would advise buying a digital caliper gauge, less than a tenner, so you can check diameters, axle lengths, back to back settings. Then try to identify who made what and what size they usually use.
The joker in the pack is Lima, their wheels were definitely underscale, made of brass and had odd profiles. Work on the bassis of what size wheels will actually put the waggon at the same height as all the others. Places like Peter's Spares are your friends here, they usually, can supply something. I'd start by getting a pack of plain disk, and one of spoked Hornby wheels, and see how far you get with those. Then you'll know if the ones they don't fit need larger or smaller sizes.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Bufferstop has covered some of the variations ..... there are more and in some cases
there are no suitable replacements off the shelf.
Ratio kits used some rather longer axles than any current supplier.
Lima wagons again had some funny axle lengths, certainly my Horse & Groom vans had
steel (Stainless ??) wheels and being unable to change axle sets I filed the excessively deep
flanges back to a more traditional size to run on code 75 track.

Old wagons often sit too high as well, and with awful chassis designs.

The non-standard axle sets requirement is one reason I don't use old stock.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:13 pm

The worst culprits for riding high and having horrible looking couplers are the orginal Triang designs updated to one piece chassis and coupler by Triang Hornby and still turned out in the Hornby Railroad range with wagons all sitting on the brake van/4 wheeled coach chassis. You can fit new wheels to them, from the Hornby packs but then the buffer and coupling heights are too high. They also have a huge plastic apron below the buffer beam which is a pig to remove. If you can't bear to part with it, buy it a Dapol chassis.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Mind you, different axle widths is not really a problem as one can just buy some top hat type brass bearings which not only give correct adjustment (As long as they are adjusted correctly) but they make the wheels run better.
If you don't mind basic plastic wheels I have some spare. Ok, nice metal wheels are better, but hey, any wheels are better then no wheels!

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks to all, I have purchased on the advice of bufferstop a caliper gauge, arrived and put to good use, blimey there is a difference thanks again to all.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Be aware that some wheels with thicker wheelflanges may need a different back to back measurement caused by the wheel flange thickness.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”