1954 British Film Institute screening A.4 "Silver Fox" film Elizabethan Express

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Hornchurch

1954 British Film Institute screening A.4 "Silver Fox" film Elizabethan Express

Postby Hornchurch » Sat May 25, 2019 7:40 pm

'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabethan_Express

Wanted to post this "Heads Up !" for all you B.R//L.N.E.R, steam & streamlined Gresley A.4 fans out there.

This Bank Holiday Monday (27th May), tune-in to 'Talking Pictures T.V.' channel (freesat 306), at 5.05pm-5.30pm (17.05-17.30)

They're screening a repeat of the razor-sharp & SUPERB British Film Institute documentary "Elizabethan Express"

This outstanding film//footage (B&W, 1954), shows A.4, "Silver Fox", running the above, from King's Cross, London, to Edinburgh (via Durham).

I first saw it last-week & was knocked-out with razor-sharp camera-shots (at some speed) & sheer quality of the footage.

It's an absolute gem of a film & for those of you who've never seen it, most definitely worth tuning-in for, too.

H.C.

GeoFF03

Re: 1954 British Film Institute screening A.4 "Silver Fox" film Elizabethan Express

Postby GeoFF03 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:53 pm

I've seen this movie several times on YouTube and on DVD. The footage is very impressive, but some of the commentary is corny.

Hornchurch

Re: 1954 British Film Institute screening A.4 "Silver Fox" film Elizabethan Express

Postby Hornchurch » Sun May 26, 2019 2:32 am

GeoFF03 wrote:
I've seen this movie several times on YouTube and on DVD. The footage is very impressive, but some of the commentary is corny.

Yeah Geoff, I already had figured that a few of you lads had probably already seen it - (Plus I'd not gone looking for it, over on You-Tube)

However, in the last 18-moths, I've been watching "Talking Pictures T.V." an awful lot more, as it's by far one of THE best channels around.

(I mainly watch it for all of those classic British 1960's & 1950's Black & White movies, with all those old-cars & superb old aircraft)

Sprinkled in amongst the various screenings, are often shown some 'information' films, plus documentaries.

I've noticed quite a few Railway-orientated 1950's films have been screened since Feb' this year, but THIS one (thread title), is by far the best.

I only caught it for the first-time ever, last-week (getting ready for a bowls-match), so couldn't stay to watch it all, sadly.

That you consider the commentary 'corny', is perhaps quite understandable, as much as the film seems quaint//strange by 21st century standards

I'm more that happy to overlook that, for what you yourself said.... "The footage is very impressive" - Hence my initial reason for posting.

Am certain there WILL be other folks like me, who'll have not seen it before, so I figured the heads-up was worth the bother..... (hope so).

Seems pretty tragic that the splendid locomotive that's THE star of the film got scrapped (attractive name, sexy-Loco'), "Silver Fox".

Fabulous "time capsule", even for folks who hold zero interest in railways & salivating stuff for those who are & have 25-mins to spare...

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun May 26, 2019 9:53 am

For those who have not access to Freesat (or whatever!), this wonderful piece of social history is available on You Tube also. But all of the British Transport Film Unit documentaries are worth watching, especially The Farmer Moves South.

All can be bought as DVD collections, too.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”