Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
windcutter9f
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby windcutter9f » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:47 pm

Yes,a length of 1/8" sq.brass tube epoxied into the coach end & a phosphor bronze plug.

Ray.

windcutter9f
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby windcutter9f » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:01 pm

My Sir William Stanier FRS,a conversion from a Wrenn City loco hauling my rake of LMS coaches.I must get around to putting some coal in the tender.

HRCA.jpg


Ray.

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4074
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby Mountain » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:55 pm

I like your creations. They add variety to 3rail.

I am not sure, but someone mwntioned somewhere on a forum that 3 rail is being made again?

mahoganydog
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Sat looking at the computer screen

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Mountain wrote: somewhere on a forum that 3 rail is being made again?


I hope they make track to modern code 100 standards, desperately needed.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bigmet
Posts: 6923
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby Bigmet » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Peco have the track parts if flexitrack plus 'add it yourself' centre rail appeals. I have seen a layout made this way, with large radius curves and the better streamline points, between them improving the running of the H-D locos and stock to very good effect. None of the crashing about on small radius curves with no transitions between straight and curve: smooth and very realistic running, well worthwhile for anyone wanting to operate their H-D locos and stock at maximum potential.

User avatar
footplat47
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm
Location: Norham on banks of the river Tweed

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby footplat47 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:12 pm

mahoganydog wrote:
Mountain wrote: somewhere on a forum that 3 rail is being made again?


I hope they make track to modern code 100 standards, desperately needed.


Peco do all the parts for 3rd rail adition to their track. I think it has been used a lot for the Southern Railway moddellers mostly but there is no reason at all why you can't put it in the centre. But would it not be better to convert 3 rail locos to 2 rail pick ups. But I suppose it would be a faf if you have a lot of 3 rail locos but just think how much more scope you would have, being able to runs 2 and 3 rail stuff together. Hope you Dublo chaps are not all booing at reading this. Only trying to make a sugestion. :) :) ................john
Never enough time is there.........John

mahoganydog
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Sat looking at the computer screen

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:30 pm

footplat47 wrote:
Peco do all the parts for 3rd rail adition to their track. I think it has been used a lot for the Southern Railway moddellers mostly but there is no reason at all why you can't put it in the centre. But would it not be better to convert 3 rail locos to 2 rail pick ups.


They don't make the parts to convert points which is where the biggest problems lie. Converting locos is expensive circa £40 a time the last time I had one "put back" to three rail. Many wouldn't dare convert a loco with a price tag in the mid hundreds or higher because it utterly decimates what that model would be worth. Many models cannot be fitted with a two rail chassis.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

User avatar
footplat47
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm
Location: Norham on banks of the river Tweed

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby footplat47 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Hello Jim Yes I had already thought of that. The dificulty of converting points that is. That is one of the reasons I sugested converting the loco to 2 rail.
You could only put in the 3rd rail on track and not the points and have pickups wired from a trailing wagon or coach to help continuity proplems. That of course may well require alterations to circute switching as well. More comeplecated wiring required possibly.. Why not convert the locos to 2 rail and relay the track. After all Hornby did make 2 rail did they not. I think! ? I am not an expert on Hornby dublo but I have converted a couple of locos a few years ago. They worked fine.
John
Last edited by footplat47 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never enough time is there.........John

User avatar
luckymucklebackit
Posts: 3333
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:05 am
Location: Troon - where the Duchesses went to die
Contact:

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Was HD three rail and Trix Twin compatible? I was at an antique and collectors fair this morning and they had a GWR 0-6-2 loco for sale, picked it up and it had all the collector shoes in place underneath, the guy was selling for £20 which I though was a fair price.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Image

Bigmet
Posts: 6923
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby Bigmet » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:25 pm

mahoganydog wrote:
footplat47 wrote:
Peco do all the parts for 3rd rail adition to their track. I think it has been used a lot for the Southern Railway moddellers mostly but there is no reason at all why you can't put it in the centre. But would it not be better to convert 3 rail locos to 2 rail pick ups.


They don't make the parts to convert points which is where the biggest problems lie.

There you have to be prepared for DIY. It can be done, I have seen it demonstrated; but it does mean significant work inserting extra insulating sections into the points' closure rails. The running results were very good indeed, as I already mentioned above.

luckymucklebackit wrote:Was HD three rail and Trix Twin compatible?...

No. Trix Twin was AC and pretty much all on its little lonesome. Also didn't work terribly reliably. These two factors leading to pretty rapid extinction...

windcutter9f
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby windcutter9f » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:07 am

Some Trix equipment,the later stuff is quite at home on Dublo 3rail,this is my converted Trix A H Peppercorn at work on my layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9GryQxz0Yk

Some British Trix in the 60s had convertible wheels,made to run on bakelite track & by cutting off the plastic flange,would run on finescale track,the EM1 being a prime example.

I`ve happily converted Wrenn spamcans to 3 rail using Marklin skates,i like to see these locos run but are easily converted back to 2 rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZGLq48QEA

Ray.

User avatar
footplat47
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm
Location: Norham on banks of the river Tweed

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby footplat47 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:23 pm

windcutter9f wrote:Some Trix equipment,the later stuff is quite at home on Dublo 3rail,this is my converted Trix A H Peppercorn at work on my layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9GryQxz0Yk

Some British Trix in the 60s had convertible wheels,made to run on bakelite track & by cutting off the plastic flange,would run on finescale track,the EM1 being a prime example.

I`ve happily converted Wrenn spamcans to 3 rail using Marklin skates,i like to see these locos run but are easily converted back to 2 rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZGLq48QEA

Ray.

You just try and find trix and wren in that condition. I think they would be £400 to £500 a piece. Or even more. If there are any good ones around in top condition they will be in private collections and not kicking around E-bay. If you can find the models as you have just shown for sale in good condition the price would be astonomical. They are rare in poor condition let along restored or unused condition as you saw in the utube vids you showed. They make a £40 converstion sound cheap as chips.
Never enough time is there.........John

windcutter9f
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby windcutter9f » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:44 pm

The Peppercorn was about £50,The spamcans were £250-300 each from Hattons.Ilike to see them run,glass cases are not for me.

Ray.

User avatar
footplat47
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm
Location: Norham on banks of the river Tweed

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby footplat47 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:48 pm

windcutter9f wrote:The Peppercorn was about £50,The spamcans were £250-300 each from Hattons.Ilike to see them run,glass cases are not for me.

Ray.

That would have depended upon their condition. You woulld not have got a mint condition Pepper of £50 ........John
Never enough time is there.........John

windcutter9f
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: Northampton

Re: Latest model conversion from my workbench.

Postby windcutter9f » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:10 pm

Well,here it is as received,just a tweak on the handrail with a pair of tweezers & parts from the TTRCA to take it to 3 rail.You have to be in the right place at the right time.The locos in the you tube videos are mine & on my layout,they do run very well.

20180930_121156 (2).jpg




Two more on the engine change over point


20180909_232355.jpg


Ray


Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests