Mainline locos

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Taz

Mainline locos

Postby Taz » Sat May 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi does anyone know who sells wheel quartering jigs for mainline and bachmann locos? I have a quartering jig but I can't use as the wheel axles don't fit in the 3mm slots. I need one that will take a 5mm axle, as these are on the mainline and bachmann locos. Any advice please.

Bigmet

Re: Mainline locos

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am

Brief answer is that there is no hobbyist tool specifically designed to set quartering of the Mainline/Bachmann split chassis wheelsets which have a round pin* into the plastic insulating muff. Personally I have repaired these things by eye, when using Araldite to cure the inevitable fall apart syndrome.

It might be possible to use a tool such as the old Hamblings wheel press as a jig, by putting short rods into the press fit crankpin holes, for the purposes of setting quartering. But this tool is designed for the standard 4mm spacing from axle centre to crankpin centre of the old Hamblings press fit wheels, and may well not match some or all of the split chassis wheelsets' crankpin positions.

*Bachmann's design found on most of their split chassis steamers have insulators that provide a self quartering assembly with their wheels. These are not compatible with the earlier Mainline products. Bachmann still have at least some of these insulator spares by recent report, and Peter's Spares have some product too.

The bottom line with the split chassis rod coupled mechanisms in past Mainline and Bachmann product is that it is dependent throughout on bespoke parts, and when production ceased there were no alternative spares for most of the mechanism parts. I used a selection of mainly LNER origin models, and wore through the plating on the tyres, axle stubs and chassis locations in a few years (enthusiast for operation) and then wore out at least one complete replacement mechanism under most of the body shells. That was despite continuous careful maintenance, and a selection of running repairs to wheelsets, recycling parts from all the mechanisms, until I ran out of parts with enough life left in them to be worthwhile reusing.

Taz

Postby Taz » Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks Bignet for the info. I have already bought the axles from Peters spares, so may have a go at making a quartering jig as I also have a couple of more locos that need new axles. Plus I do have several bachmann b1s.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 21, 2019 2:16 pm

I rather like Mainline locos and stock. :)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”