Wanton Vandalism of layouts

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: Wanton Vandalism of layouts

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am

Just a ps. to the total generated by their "Just Giving" appeal. I was delighted to see that the group wants to share some of this unexpected wealth with other clubs who have initiatives aimed at recruiting young members, and other community schemes.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm

Well I must say Bufferstop that is nice to hear. Knowing the spare cash collected from kind donors will be passed on to help other clubs is great news and will I am sure give the donors assurance that their money donated has been used in the best possible way. Nice to hear...............John
It worked last time I used it..............John

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 pm

As everyone said the material cost of the damage done wasn't the biggest problem it was the hours of work destroyed that they would never get back. The celebs who contributed large amounts were showing their commeraderie with the modeling community, lifted the total well beyond what the club were hoping for, so spreading some of it around will bring some good of this terrible incident.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Four charged over Stamford model railway exhibition damage

Four teenagers have been charged after thousands of pounds worth of model railway exhibits were destroyed.

The display by Market Deeping Model Railway Club was hit at Welland Academy in Stamford, Lincolnshire on 18 May.

Police were called to the school early in the morning after the exhibition set up for later that day had been wrecked.

The boys, three aged 16 and one aged 15, have been charged with criminal damage and are due to appear at Lincoln Youth Court on 19 August.

The teenagers cannot be named for legal reasons.

A fundraising page, which was originally set up to raise £500 for the club, received more than £84,000 including £10,000 from pop star Sir Rod Stewart.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Not sure if this hs been posted before but I found this video of the damage done to the model railways at the hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBFc4grKqTE

Hard to believe that people could do so much damage they must have been filled with hate.
Regards
Nobby

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:25 am

It wasn't hate they were filled with, just alcohol and stupidity.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:44 am

I cannot see that I would have ever done anything like that, but I did do some pretty bloody stupid things, with others, when a drunken teenager. The combination of alcohol, the pack and wanting to be ‘big’ can be a dangerous formula.

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Postby 4472 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:48 pm

That was a slap on the wrist I don't think

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-49397838
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Lysander wrote:I cannot see that I would ever done anything like that, but I did do some pretty bloody stupid things, with others, when a drunken teenager. The combination of alcohol, the pack and wanting to be ‘big’ can be a dangerous formula.

Tony

I did plenty of daft things when I was younger. Didn't need to be drunk to do them.

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Agreed this looks like a slapped wrist however if you closer two bits of information are not really explained.
1. The parents are going to be out of pocket, this will not make them happy, if they default with the payment they will be charged.
2. One culprit is going to be sentenced on the 2nd September, normally that means a custodial sentence, (fingers crossed)

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:20 pm

What are these 'referral orders they mention? Are they like probation?
Pete.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:30 pm

Peterm wrote:What are these 'referral orders they mention? Are they like probation?

It's OK, I googled it and thought it was little more than a slap on the wrist. The spirit of it is, I think pretty good but why two warnings for non compliance? I can understand that keeping them out of prison is a good idea, but at the same time they should have every minute of spare time taken up by community work, for example cleaning public places etc and studying.

Then again, if I had my way they'd be put in the stocks every weekend.
Pete.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:51 am

Bullets only cost a few cents, ok ok im just kidding
Regards
Nobby

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 am

Other forums and social media groups have locked this subject on their threads for three main reasons:
1, The whole hobby is getting sick of reading the ramblings of the ‘hang them flog them shoot them’ brigade.
2. Why have several hundred or even several thousand responses all saying the same thing? It gets boring and doesn’t help the credibility of this forum (if there is any credibility left).
3. One defendant is still to be sentenced. That means due legal processes are still underway, it has been said before here and elsewhere that social media pages and forums (including this one) are examined by Prosecution and Defence, and things said may well prejudice findings and the legal processes.

Surely it is time to follow the others and lock this thread whilst you still have some credibility left?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:59 am

Peterm wrote:What are these 'referral orders they mention? Are they like probation?

Punishment to fit the crime? Compulsory supervised attendance at a local model railway club and make them build a layout, let them see how much time and work is needed to create something to exhibition standard.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”