Wanton Vandalism of layouts

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
TimberSurf

Wanton Vandalism of layouts

Post by TimberSurf »

All over Facebook this morning, horrendous news that 4 boys around 15 years old broke into Stamford School overnight and smashed up numerous model railways and traders stalls.

https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/ ... 0CifXw7UgU

I cannot fathom why?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Alexander Court

Re: Wanton Vandalism of layouts

Post by Alexander Court »

I will never understand this type of behaviour. I doubt they'll get what they deserve, unlikely they'll repay their damages either being youths. Sometimes at school I was called sad for liking model trains/railways, and modellers being described by people as "sad old men", but quite the opposite is true, modellers and observers are people of enthusiasm and hold a wealth of knowledge and wisdom, it is disgusting specimens like these four perpetrators who are the real sad and pathetic people and I hope that all those involved with the show are not deterred from something which gives them so much pleasure.

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Bored children of inadequate parenting.
Look out for 'Copy Cat' activity over the next few months.

They will have no respect for themselves, or anybody. Would I have known if my children
(3 sons) were creeping out around 4 AM, Damn certain I would. The sad thing is they will
receive no adequate punishment and probably think it funny
Perhaps they should have to stand and watch the modeller's smash their mobile, x Box and
tablet before their very eyes.

Geoff T.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

Dad-1 wrote: Perhaps they should have to stand and watch the modeller's smash their mobile, x Box and
tablet before their very eyes.

Geoff T.
I'd pay to see that at an exhibition!

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Corporal punishment needs to be brought back URGENTLY. The law as it is is a joke and is nothing remotely like a real punishment.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Just shoot them. Very tempting isn't it!
Last edited by Mountain on Sat May 18, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'd suggest that to avoid the possibility of copy cat raids venues ought to arrange some overnight presence, particularly school and community hall locations. One man with a compressed air horn beats the best of burglar alarms at repelling invaders.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Usually works if horn is held next to their ears.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

I agree with Bufferstop, the science says the absolute best deterrent to this sort of thing is a fear of getting caught, any subsequent punishment is completely irrelevant as far as prevention is concerned. Calls for corporal or capital punishment are merely old testament desires for revenge and do nothing to stop this kind of abhorrent thing from happening. My heart goes out to all the exhibitors though, must be awful for them.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
bruminbriz

Post by bruminbriz »

Either bring back the Cat of Nine Tails or put them on a ship and send them to Antartica.

Brumbriz
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

Very sad. In the USA it is usually expected that the club/primary host for an event like this will provide an overnight watchman (volunteer club member with an airhorn, cellphone, etc. {and being the USA,sometimes a gun}). While I don't support the gun bit, I believe it prudent for any trademen or visiting clubs to inquire as to security before comitttng to attend.. Locked at night doesn't cut it. Overnight watchman is essential these sad days.

George
North Carolina
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Not only hit then with the total bill for the damage (though I can't fathom how much you'd factor in for all the hours of work) but also every weekend in the stocks for the next year or so. I'd even supply the tomato's... tinned of course. :x
Pete.
dan8400

Post by dan8400 »

I hope they get some kind of punishment. Seems unlikely these days.

I just hope the layouts can be made to at least run in some form. It may galvanise the community and they may have a bumper turn out. I know that doesn’t fix the vandalism but some goodwill and well wishes from the punters may take the edge off

Thanks
Dan

EDIT: I have just seen the pictures. So sad. Doesn’t look like anything is salvageable
brit-in-bama

Post by brit-in-bama »

I personally think this is down to bad parenting, soooooooooo, add it all up, including time spent building the models, and then split the bill between the 4 scumbags parents, and then put the youths in the army for 3 years, and teach them discipline which they obviously have never had, and again why were 4 15 year old youths out at 4 am, wandering the streets?, yes I am old school, with strict parents.

Post by 4472 »

link to BBC pictures and article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-48326572

4 youths arrested
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)