Matching Factory Finish

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Firefly16

Matching Factory Finish

Postby Firefly16 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:39 pm

I am building a Urie bogie tender to run as an alternative to the six wheeled version supplied with the Hornby weathered NI5 'Sir Ironside'. I want as close a match as possible with the Hornby finish but don't want to waste paint in experimenting to mix the right shade of green. One solution might be a trip to see what the local War Games shop has to offer, but has anyone had any experience of this problem?

Bigmet

Re: Matching Factory Finish

Postby Bigmet » Sat May 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I would look at the Phoenix precision paints range. No clue which of the Southern greens it might be from your post because what I know about the Southern is very limited, but this business will have it. Of course, their's being accurate may not match Hornby's paint, but that is another story...

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Yes, I should have mentioned that the livery is BR green. I take your point about Phoenix's accuracy, Bigmet but Hornby's BR green is what I have to work with and I want to do justice to what is still an attractive model in its own right.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat May 18, 2019 6:34 pm

To be frank, this is a very big ask. Hornby's renditions of various company liveries can be variable at best: GWR Brunswick Green in particular. Railmatch and Phoenix will give you the correct paint, but whether it'll match your loco is another thing, as Bigmet suggested.

I think you have two options: go for a complete repaint [easy enough with a Railmatch aerosol] or take the loco to one of those places that digitally scan colours to make up aerosols which match. Before agreeing the final selection, ask for a couple of swatches of their mix to check against your loco.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 18, 2019 6:54 pm

I have a slightly different take on things. I repaint any ready painted stock to match my standards of painting.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:05 pm

Hornby BR green is suspect at best, and given you say the locomotive is weathered too I'd say it would be virtually impossible to get a decent match unless you go down the digital paint matching route, and even then it's not going to be perfect. Definitely none of the proper BR green railway paint colours; phoenix, railmatch etc. will match, they're both a much deeper green. If it were me I'd buy wither of those two and repaint the loco and tender at once as that's the only true way of getting an accurate match, including finish. Beyond that you're into mixing paint yourself I should think, as you say, buying a few wargame colours and getting as close as you can.

Don't forget that tenders and locos weren't necessarily always the same shade, or even the same colour, especially in BR days, they were often swapped round according to requirement, so an exact match isn't necessary to be prototypical, and indeed it still happens occasionally in preservation - but whilst that is true there aren't many people I've met who'd be satisfied with that!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

21C1

Postby 21C1 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Take your model to your nearest Dulux paint centre which has a shade scanner. If you want enamels, make sure they sell Dulux trade solvent based paint. They should scan the model and match the colour. If you need enamel paint you will have to buy at least 1 litre and should be available in matt or satin finish, at whatever cost. If you want acrylic, ask for a tester pot, which is about 250mL . This will normally be matt. I believe Valspar has the same service (B&Q stores).

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Thank you for your replies Gentlemen. There's no doubting the accuracy of the Phoenix Precision range - when varnished, their BR Southern green is spot on. Interestingly, a tin of Humbrol labelled 'Red' and bearing the then reference HR 144 I bought some years ago proved to be a perfect match for the maroon finish of contemporary Hornby coaches. But, to get back to the subject, no such luck with any of that maker's greens so far as my present project is concerned, so at the moment it looks like a choice between 'Warboss Green' and 'Waaagh! Flesh' (!) in the Citadel range.

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:14 pm

POSTING CORRECTION
In my final post of 20. May responding to the discussion following my raising this subject, I referred to Precision Paints' BR Southern Green in connection with accuracy of finish. While I have always found this maker's products excellent in this respect and would certainly recommend them, I should in fact have referred to Railmatch's 314 BR Southern Stock Green in this instance. Apologies!

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 pm

I have been in the hobby nearly 60 years and I have never been able to match a Hornby paint colour yet.........John
It worked last time I used it..............John

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:55 pm

I agree Precision Paints are the best in my opinion have used them for years but match Hornby colours never.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Sorry posted that twice

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:00 am

Yes, there's something elusive about Hornby's colours. I've settled for Revel sea green for the project in question - a few matt grey washes tinged with a touch of frame dirt should bring the tender more or less into line with my loco.

footplate1947

Postby footplate1947 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 am

21C1 wrote:Take your model to your nearest Dulux paint centre which has a shade scanner. If you want enamels, make sure they sell Dulux trade solvent based paint. They should scan the model and match the colour. If you need enamel paint you will have to buy at least 1 litre and should be available in matt or satin finish, at whatever cost. If you want acrylic, ask for a tester pot, which is about 250mL . This will normally be matt. I believe Valspar has the same service (B&Q stores).

Do they do it 14ML tin lets. I don't think that would be very cost effective would it. ....... :)

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:31 am

Was there not a match in Hornbys Humbrol Rail Colour range, I know their GWR/BR loco green is a good match for the BR green that Bachmann and Graham Farish use, never owned anything in Hornby BR green do can't comment on if it matches their own green.

Paul

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”