Glue 'n' Glaze

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Lysander

Glue 'n' Glaze

Postby Lysander » Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 am

I would be interested in views on the efficacy/realism of this material for glazing smallish windows - that's glazing as in simulating glass rather than use as a glue to hold perspex windows in place.

Thanks

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Pennine MC

Re: Glue 'n' Glaze

Postby Pennine MC » Wed May 15, 2019 11:56 am

Presuming it's one of those PVA type substances, I've used a similar one the name of which escapes me. OKish if you have no alternative or in an area that's not highly visible, but can be milky/cloudy compared to actual glazing

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed May 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Thanks for that Ian.

I think G'n'G is a sort of PVA-type mixture. I tried it on a Dinky Dublo Morris pick-up as an experiment: the dried window was more than translucent but not wholly transparent [as in perspex for eg]. It also seemed to bow inwards slightly.

I have a white metal Ford Pop ['53] in OO that I need to glaze and cutting perspex to fit isn't really an option for this one.

Any more views out there?

Tony

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I decided to give it a go recently and it worked ok, particularly on spectacle plate round windows, and diesel cab side windows. I used Evostick Resin W, (woodworking glue) getting it as thin as possible helped, and I was impressed by how clear it was. It's difficult to see much detail through the window as although it's transparent getting a uniform thickness is difficult so things are distorted when viewed through it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed May 15, 2019 3:47 pm

What about sticking plastic windows in? Is it worth the expense?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Cutting clear plastic to glaze windows is generally easy enough as long as a] there aren't too many to do and b] the apertures are fairly regular in shape. In this case, none of the windows are regular and all are quite complex curves, too. It just isn't feasible. Further, there is no way in which the plastic could be traced or scored to mimic the outline.

I have decided to use G'n'G for want of any alternative. The biggest problem with it is that it is not self-levelling:far from it. It is extremely difficult to apply evenly too, and starts to skin-over very quickly. However, the rear window is done and about the best that I can say for the stuff is that it fills the aperture. If it dried flat, I'd be quite happy with it: it doesn't though. But it's probably better than nothing, which, frankly, isn't much of a recommendation.

Tony

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 pm

There was a product used for model car windows and it has been out for quite a few years now. I have never had any myself.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”