Hornby couplings

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Daddystig

Hornby couplings

Postby Daddystig » Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 pm

My son has recently joined a model railway club, so we bought him a Flying scotsman loco , it is a newer one not the tender powered one. I was doing a little bit of work on the tender/loco drawbar when I managed to drop it onto a worktop.
The tender had the newer slot in type of couplings and naturally this one went flying into the abyss never to be seen again.
Does anyone happen to know what the hornby part number is for these couplings along with the detail pack for the front of the engine. I Also need to replace the front buffers with brass ones but that is for another day
Thanks
Chris

Mountain

Re: Hornby couplings

Postby Mountain » Fri May 03, 2019 1:44 pm

I don't know the part number, but thw slot in couplings are normally easily purchased. Try Peters Spares as they have loads of different spares.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri May 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi Chris,

Define slot in because Hornby have two different kinds like this. One is NEM the other is the old Airfix/Dapol type. I advise that you look up the service sheet on Hornby's site to ensure you get the correct ones. There have been so many different Flying Scotsman's it is almost guaranteed that different types of coupling have been used.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri May 03, 2019 4:20 pm

If you can't make your mind up which version you need, they are the sort of item you will always find use for and not that expensive that buying two or more types breaks the bank. If anyone asked me what should they have in their spares box various types of coupler would be very high on the list. Probably followed by crank pins/screws. I always deem to end up using twice as many as the loco is fitted with. One day many years in the future someone demolishing this house is going to come across their secret hiding place and wonder what they were part of.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

6C

Postby 6C » Sat May 04, 2019 11:49 am

What's the Hornby reference for the Scotsman? - normally an 'R' followed by a 3 or 4 figure number - e.g. R2054 or suchlike.
I have most of the relevant service sheets mentioned for business use - and will probably have the answer and a recommendation of what you need !.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”