Weathering track ,what to use ,advice please ,,

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mjb1961

Weathering track ,what to use ,advice please ,,

Postby mjb1961 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi,,,,I'm in the process of laying track and I want to give the rails a rusty appearance,what would be the best product and method to do it ,,,,I've never done it before but I know a lot of you guys have ,,look forward to hearing from you ,,thanks in advance ,,mjb :D

Richard Lee

Re: Weathering track ,what to use ,advice please ,,

Postby Richard Lee » Thu May 02, 2019 6:05 am

I used rust-coloured matt enamel Humbrol paint. Where I ran out of enamel and it wasn't convenient to get more enamel I used brown acrylic paint. It was a lot easier to use the enamel for this job, and gave a better result in my opinion, despite needing to use white spirit/turps substitute to clean the brush.

Take time to mix the enamel very well, as there have been issues with Humbrol enamel quality in recent years. On the good side, you can get away with using paint that isn't perfect to paint the sides of rails.

I think the Humbrol enamel colour that I used was number 84. The acrylic was whatever I had spare of a reasonable colour.

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu May 02, 2019 6:48 am

For painting track (and just about everything else, come to that) I use Tamiya acrylics. I go over it all with a mix of light grey/brown, then paint the rail sides in a different mix of brown, grey and a touch of orange. For reference, I use good colour pictures of real track taken in the appropriate period - not pictures of model railways.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 am

Thankyou for your replies,,,,mjb

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu May 02, 2019 7:51 am

I forgot to say that for weathering the track (after painting it and ballasting), I use a very weak wash of browns, greys or blacks as required, then I tweak the end result by a very light application of Vallejo pigments. That works for me, and FWIW I've never had an adhesion problem with Tamiya acrylics on Peco track and points. I was brought up on Humbrol enamels, but I wouldn't use the current production of them if you paid me.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 am

Top tip on the practical side: if possible paint the rail sides of points before laying them, so much easier on the blades, crossings and check rails when you can get at them from all sides.

Strongly second 'muggins' advice: look at the prototype. Rail sides are very rarely bright orange rust. Tones of grey-brown filth liberally 'misted' over the whole formation are more the usual thing, with variation by local soil and rock colouration. (Except GWR, on which the company servants voluntarily stayed up all night washing the ballast, relaquering the sleepers piano black, and polishing the rails.)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu May 02, 2019 9:49 am

I have used a couple of variations of the methods described above. The best results I have had was the most tedious to apply and would only really work on smaller layouts. This method is to first give the rail sides a coat of red oxide primer and allowed to thoroughly dry, I don't worry about point blades as I bridge them out (see here for method https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33932&start=270#p643736) I would recommend this if painting the rails at all. I then paint over with a matt brown acrylic, varying it slightly to break up the uniformity as previously suggested.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 am

Bigmet wrote:(Except GWR, on which the company servants voluntarily stayed up all night... polishing the rails.)

Ah, but they only polished the sides of the top of the rail: the running surface itself was loving scuffed crosswise with a wet Brunello abrasive stone, the better for the mighty wheels to grip so as to keep the trains running on time.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu May 02, 2019 11:34 am

The most unusual ballasting that I ever did (And it actually looked great) was with a small N gauge layout I made. I ballasted by rubbing a peco track cleaning rubber on the sleepers and the bits went in the glue. The wierd thing was that it worked. I only did it to experiment as I had no N gauge ballast at the time.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:29 pm

I dunno if it'll help, but I've attached a couple of pictures.
I tended to use Humbrol H113 rust, but that's only the base.
Then depending on what uses the route dirty up with watered
down matt black H33.
I usually paint on full strength and wash into my well stuck down
ballast with loads of white spirit.
I say about what uses the route, if nothing with outside cylinders
runs then don't dirty too much outside the rails.

Sorry about the big picture I forgot to re-size !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Dad1 ,,,that is the effect I'm after ,it looks great ,thankyou for showing me the photos of your layout ,,,and again thankyou all for your advice ,,,,mjb
I'll go with the H113 and the H33 ,,,,

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu May 02, 2019 8:28 pm

It does look good. Quite a nice layout coming along there. Unusual train controller.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”