Backscene blending

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Ewood

Backscene blending

Postby Ewood » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 pm

A walm welcome to you all from a new member.
I've recently been blending my road into a backscene and want people's honesty as to the results. I do think the white lines need moving slightly to the right but constructive criticism is welcomed.
IMG_6097.JPG

End2end

Re: Backscene blending

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi Ewood and welcome to the forum. :)
I think that perspective looks really good. Once the white lines are lined up properly it'll make a difference.
You might need a reason for the cars to be stationary. Perhaps traffic lights permantently on red. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Hello Emwood.
I think you have it right there once you have softened out the white lines. I agree with End2 that a set of traffic lights or a crossing would be good. Lovely church is it a kit ?

Ewood

Postby Ewood » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:10 pm

The church is a metcalf kit, I bought it used along with most of the buildings on the layout the irony is where it’s positioned as it hides the right side of the road..this was purely by chance :lol:

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi Ewood. Welcome to the forum.

I do like the photograph. The road looks to be going somewhere.

As End2end has already mentioned, once the white lines are matched up it will make a big difference. Another thing to remember, as the view goes further away the white lines become non-existant and 'fade away'. Also white lines in the country tend to be a lot less white; almost grey.

Why not have a car or other vehicle on the road in the distance. You can get pictures of tiny cars within another general photograph.

A further point about roads. They are not all one colour. Parts are darker where road works have taken place. If you darken the road on the backscene and the baseboard, giving the impression of a staggered road repair you will find that the line will disappear. On modern roads potholes have been filled in, or worse, they haven't.

A lovely looking church. Well done

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi Ewood, welcome to the forum. Pretty good job on the perspective. A great way to hide joins on roads is a reinstatement scar, where they've put a cable or pipe in. The new infill is usually a touch darker than the original surface. The other thing you can use is a zebra crossing, the white patches are a sort of rubber mat stuck on the surface. If your time period is 60s or earlier there was often a strip of stone setts across side turnings in line with the pavements.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Hi Ewood, welcome to the forum. Pretty good job on the perspective. A great way to hide joins on roads is a reinstatement scar, where they've put a cable or pipe in. The new infill is usually a touch darker than the original surface. The other thing you can use is a zebra crossing, the white patches are a sort of rubber mat stuck on the surface. If your time period is 60s or earlier there was often a strip of stone setts across side turnings in line with the pavements.

Prehaps a speed bump?
Actually at that location if it is a reltively modern layout, I would make the left lane a cycle path with the rest of the traffic waiting for an "Oncoming traffic has priority" section of roadway. This will also hide the join as a raised curb and bollard or sign can hide the join.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:42 am

That's nicely done! One word of caution, though, be careful about putting anything too close to the backscene itself such as those cars. In certain lighting an object can cast a strong shadow which when projected onto the backscene can spoil the effect. It's better as some have said to use some sort of low thing to transition into the backscene, crossroads which a white line right against the edge would work. It is also worth looking at the viewing angle, that scene is good because it's very narrow therefore difficult to view from other angles so making it easier.

Ewood

Postby Ewood » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Thanks to everyone for their comments on my post. Fortunately the cars don't reflect on the backscene so will probably stay there, the idea of road colour variation and a road repair is good however I think where it would be would make it obvious that it's hiding a join. I should have made a gradient on the actual road to blend the photo better but sadly it's a bit late for that.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm

I like Dublo's suggestion. A level / zebra crossing. :)
The two contrasting colours of black and white would distract the eye away from the join as well as hide it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Ewood

Postby Ewood » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Losing the white lines was a more difficult job than I thought. I've ended up painting the photo of the road, it does match better and I might not even bother adding more lines?
IMG_6111.JPG

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:58 pm

That looks brilliant. :)

heda

Postby heda » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Excellent job there.
Dave

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Yes that works Emwood well done. Any chance of some more pictures of your railway.

Ewood

Postby Ewood » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:52 pm

IMG_5425.JPG

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”