Getting started

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
TimberSurf

Re: Getting started

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 pm

If you intend to 'move/upend/split' the layout, you need something much more robust than 2x1! If you intend to 'hang' from above, then you need the next level of strength! Read my Construction Guide and take away some some good principles.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Spike

Postby Spike » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks again Mountain for all the advice

I think I will stick with new track, it is a new build a new hobby and a lot to learn so I want as little problems as I can at the start.

I have decided I will be buying this set at the weekend, it seems to tick all the boxes to get me started then I can get some idea of how things work and get things clear in my head as to how to proceed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R1126-Mixed-Freight-00-Gauge-Digital-Train-Set/323638181984?epid=2255203983&hash=item4b5a56c060:g:w1YAAOSw2kZZb233

Spike

Postby Spike » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 pm

TimberSurf wrote:If you intend to 'move/upend/split' the layout, you need something much more robust than 2x1! If you intend to 'hang' from above, then you need the next level of strength! Read my Construction Guide and take away some some good principles.

WOW Lovely how to page you have. I sure i will be visiting that a few times during my project.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:41 pm

A nice set but it seems expensive for what it is. WhileI am not sure as I have not been keeping track of prices, but I am almost sure the same set can be found much cheaper then that. It wasn't long ago that around £125 came to mind, though prices may have risen slightly since then. I would not pay more then around £175 for the set. For £250 you should be able to buy a decent DCC train controller, and I mean quite a good one.
I will take a look at DCC sets and see what is good for the money.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:52 pm

I have to agree with Mountain. £250 is too much.
It's here for £225 https://www.petersspares.com/hornby-r11 ... o-gauge.ir
I'd make an offer at £200 then see what the seller comes back to you with.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Look at Hattons. They have six DCC sets. One has the normal DCC controller and the others have the elink controller which works via a PC. If you have aPC you can get a bargain in comparison as for £199 there is a set with a DCC sound Hall class loco with three Pullman coaches. The loco even has DCC sound. It is a much nicer loco. R1184 Western Express Digital Train Set
The elink system does offer something rather nice and special though I would upgrade to the option of a 4 amp transformer when you can as 1 amp with DCC is a little limiting. 4 amp will be ample for even large layouts. (I can push out 8 amps with my system if I wanted to with the boosters I have but that is overkill :lol: )

Also worth a look for value for money with a conventional DCC controller is R1125 Somerset Belle Trainset which Hattons are selling for £130 which is a very attractive price. You can always get a second loco later.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Spike wrote:
TimberSurf wrote:If you intend to 'move/upend/split' the layout, you need something much more robust than 2x1! If you intend to 'hang' from above, then you need the next level of strength! Read my Construction Guide and take away some some good principles.

WOW Lovely how to page you have. I sure i will be visiting that a few times during my project.

My website is not a comprehensive beginners guide (I am working on it) but is constantly being updated with useful nuggets for beginners and and non beginners alike. It makes a good starting point for advice in the first instance and an excellent launch point for suppliers search in thelinks page, but if what you want, is not there, then just ask in forums for construction :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:20 pm

TimberSurf wrote:
Spike wrote:

My website is not a comprehensive beginners guide (I am working on it) but is constantly being updated with useful nuggets for beginners and and non beginners alike. It makes a good starting point for advice in the first instance and an excellent launch point for suppliers search in the links page, but if what you want, is not there, then just ask in forums for construction :D
Last edited by TimberSurf on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Double post
Last edited by TimberSurf on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Here's the same set you were looking at starting at £100 with £5 pnp NEW.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R1126 ... SwtEBctNuP
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:03 pm

End2end wrote:Here's the same set you were looking at starting at £100 with £5 pnp NEW.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R1126 ... SwtEBctNuP
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end

That seller has no previous sales to his name. Beware

heda

Postby heda » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:18 pm

Shop around, as said previously £250 is overprices, you can get a starter set for half of that and add to i.
Dave

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/100 ... dlist.aspx

Spike

Postby Spike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 pm

I only posted that link as it I could not figure out how to post a pic.

My local shop has it in for £220 but I think now this set is much better value

https://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=25701

That way I can put the rest to more track etc etc

Loving this site more and more you guys are saving me money left right and center

Spike

Postby Spike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:54 pm

I love America specially the wild west era, cowboys, gun slingers, stage coaches.

Soooo..... is there much options on trains from that era, I think it would be a great layout idea as everything would be built from wood and would probably have to be built from scratch which is the route I was going to take anyways. I am visiting America again in May so going to pay particular attention to detail in a few of the old towns I am going to be visiting along the road trip specially Deadwood in South Dakota.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Bachmann have a good selection of old time American in HO. Might ge expensive to get hold of here... so perhaps fill your boots while you're over there!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”