what do you hope to achieve from your model railway?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Michaelaface

what do you hope to achieve from your model railway?

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 am

so I happened to watch Hornby's latest video on youtube, and I couldn't help but think "everything in this video looks rubbish" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8j4NxIz18)

obviously that's just my opinion and is ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it made me wonder about who the video is aimed at

my personal goal for model railways is to build something that looks as good, if not better than, the layouts that continually inspire me, to then sit back, look at it and think "that looks great and I made it" and then run some trains round it

but looking at some of the big manufacturers' (mostly hornby) promotional stuff, I often find it really uninspiring

so what are your goals with this hobby? is this stuff genuinely uninspiring or am I just a miserable *word censored*? :lol: :lol:

End2end

Re: what do you hope to achieve from your model railway?

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm

I'm with you 100%. Looks like a crap train set. Even the so called weathering is sh*t!
How can you make a promotional video where the cameras so close to the tracks you can't even see what the trains are? :roll:
If I wanted to watch a load of over-clean plastic going round...I'd stand in a supermarket. :!:
Come on Kohler, you have the reins now lets see some improvements. :mrgreen:
As to what do I hope to acheive? Entertainment and perhaps even a hint at reality. Something SERIOUSLY lacking in that video.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:25 pm

essentially something i am happy with :lol: i am not bothered by 'historical accuracy' or making it super realistic my aim is just something that looks good to me.

I went to a local show at the weekend and one of the layouts really stood out for me, not because it was super detailed but because it was 'achievable', it had a mix of ready to run items and scratch built and they combined them well. The finish wasn't perfect but it worked well and the operators seemed to be enjoying it - it certainly got a good crowed around it :lol:

minipix

Postby minipix » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:29 pm

I guess the distinction is between "model railways" and "train sets". From that video, it seems that Hornby are pitching "train sets" at folks who just want a simple bit of fun. And there's nothing wrong with those sorts of people, and it's great that Hornby are providing for them (even if it's not exactly 'cheap'). Other manufacturers perhaps aim more squarely at modellers who strive for detailed accurate representations of reality, "model railways". Again, nothing wrong with those sorts of people, and many have taken the simplified Hornby "train sets" and transformed them into "model railways" through dedication and perseverance (and yes, probably money too).

Personally, I think both camps need to exist, and need each other. The "train set" crowd need something to aspire to one day when they've got more time and money, but they also need something for the here and now. The "model railway" crowd need cheap stuff they can transform without worrying about spoiling a masterpiece, but they also need quality suppliers so that their goal of perfection is actually achievable in their lifetime.
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:30 pm

The less said about 'the tripe', (sorry, promotion video) the better imho.

My personal goal for model railways is to have trains running through scenery that I like. Scenery that is a little different from what I have seen or read. As my modelling skills improve (hopefully) I am forever trying to make things look better than before. Like Alex, i am not bothered by 'historical accuracy' or making it super realistic my aim is something that looks good to me. Trains have to run for a reason and purpose. That brings enjoyment to me.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

61xx

Postby 61xx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:46 pm

I agree also with what you say.. What I hope to achieve is a certain degree of realism. For example I cannot bear to see enormous gaps between coaches and wagons, Ultra tight curves with coaches overhanging the track on the inside of the curve, Coaches that are a scale 2 or three feet out of line with each other as they negotiate tight reverse curves. It looks ghastly ! I can't watch a layout like that at an exhibition or on a video.
I don't want to be an over pedantic rivet counter either. I don't see the sense in reproducing tiny details that can't be seen at a normal viewing distance.
Because I don't have an enormous amount of space my layout , which have started the base boards for will be end to end , and avoiding ultra sharp curves. It will oo gauge but finescale using Peco code 75 bullhead track and points. etc etc . I don't want to see trains running round in little circles, but we are all different , other people like the things I don't like. That's great, I don't want to push my likes and dislikes on to others, but as I said 'a certain amount of realism' is all that I want, without going over the top...
I hope that makes some sense...

Rob

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Hello all

I agree with you that the latest Hornby advert is absolute tosh. It seems to me that it has been all been produced on the rush. From the layout construction to the filming.I have seen far better videos of layouts on this forum. It appears to me that the current company is relying very heavily purely upon its name.
The Hornby tv adverts that had the biggest impact upon me were those with a OO scale Bernard Cribbens. A little humour was injected into that series of ads too.

Like others who have posted here my layout is not a perfect miniature representation of a reality. My interests lie elsewhere, however I certainly appreciate the models that others have created with this objective. I to like to sit back and look around my layout and "think that looks great and I made it, and then run some trains around it".
A question also arises from this and that is what do I run a train set or a model railway?

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:18 pm

I think the main difference between the "train set crowd" and a railway modeller (no matter the skill level) is that the former play with it for a while then it goes back in it's box and stuck in the loft for years whereas the latter always have the layout out to enjoy, work on and improve.
My comment earlier of a "hint at reality" doesn't mean to say, running to timetable, rivet counting or any of that lark. I meant more the look of the layout as a whole including rolling stock, buildings, lineside items, population, vehicles etc.
I'm not one for historical accuracy either, but I do want mine to look "the part" as it were to ME.
(Although all your great comments and replies on what I have created to date have been not only motivational but also give me a sense of achivement...even though the layout is not fully built yet.)

When a newcomer decides on wanting either the former or the latter one immediatly thinks of Hornby but only because of it's past proliferation of being the only (to the man on the street) train set / railway model manufacturer. It wasn't until I looked a bit deeper I found better from other manufacturers.
Even during my modelling journey of the past 5 years I have seen many others join the fray wether as loco manufacturers or items for your layout.
3D printing, laser cutting, heck I even seen a company that will scan YOU and make a model of you for your layout!
How crazy is that! :mrgreen:

With all that said I must reiterate RULE NUMBER 1.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm

These days I have my 00 as a trainset, its a thing to set up, change round, run stuff, its mostly about seeing models running, its a fun thing (when its all working properly....a plain baseboard for mounting it to would be of an advantage though).

I use N gauge for modelling because I can create fictional places and model them as if they were real, incorporating pieces of actual reality, or references to it, into the layout. With N I also prefer how the viewing of the layout is to 00, within my own home that is, itS not a preference that affects my appreciation of anyone elses work, I like how I can create more of a landscape in the space I've got,, important in rented accommodation. I do set out though to model an impression of real world settings I have enjoyed seeing, my next layout part being a quayside, drawing inspiration from the many I have had the pleasure of visiting in Ireland.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm

In fairness I think it all comes down to ability.

Some of us have visions in our minds eye what our layout is supposed to look like, but have neither the time, means, or talent to make it look like we want it too.

The video has no excuse, it IS terrible as a promotional tool, and is quite frankly a joke, should it be targeting new railway modelers to the hobby. (It looks like a train set, rather than a model railway, if you get my drift)

Personally I would like my layout to be "realistic" to a point where I could take some sepia photos and have non hobbyists guessing if it was real or not - that would be a giggle. Whether or not it is prototypical and realistic, in as much as it is looking like the real thing, I think for me that is going a step too far for my talents.

You should know your limitations, however strive to push your boundaries.

I would also like to think that it is after all a hobby, and to treat it as such. It's not the be all and end all of the world if things go wrong, or your layout does not live up to your expectations. It is a learning curve, and a time consuming thing, that should give you pleasure whilst challenging your creativeness.
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Phat Controller wrote:It is a learning curve, and a time consuming thing, that should give you pleasure whilst challenging your creativeness.

Now that my good sir, is a great comment and perspective! :mrgreen:
It's the same with making music.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Everyone wants something different from the hobby, and Hornby wants to sell its products to as many as possible. What would be wrong with them asking the owners of acknowledged first class layouts if a particular model could be filmed on their layout. I'm sure a little appearance money would be cheaper and quicker than having their own people put together a layout. If they are pitching at collectors there's no need for a layout, just some close ups of the model running against a suitable backdrop. They've freed themselves from the purveyors of toys, they can now choose for themselves who to aim for, there's a market for the cheap (relatively) and cheerful toy market, but it needs any advertising aimed at it, whilst the collectors and modellers are paying out good money for their products and deserve approaching with appropriate advertising. They are hoping to be everything to all men but they have to make separate communication which are relevant. Full page ads for their Junior and starter products in the likes of Railway Modeller are a waste of their budget
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Bufferstop wrote:What would be wrong with them asking the owners of acknowledged first class layouts if a particular model could be filmed on their layout.
They do, but then bundle all of them together and try to sell it to us for nigh on £6 every month in the form of a magazine. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Railway modelling to me means five things.

1/ It needs to look reasonably realistic.
2/ I am not going to loose any sleep if it doesn't turn out perfect.
3/ Most of all I need to enjoy building and running trains.
4/ I don't care if things are not spot on perfect as I treat for what it is "an enjoyable pastime"
5/ The way I see it is that its my railway and I couldn't give a toss what others think about it.
Regards
Nobby

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 pm

From the look of the promotional film they are aiming it at the toy end of the hobby to attract the younger generation. It does not have to attract those already in the hobby. The thing that I find a bit of a "No" is running locos with a single 4 wheel coach which is not a brake coach (As real railways had to have a brake coach in the formation) and with those 4 wheel coaches they are easy to convert to a form of brake coach by pinting some windows to look like wooden panels to form a part brake and part passenger coach. I am surprized this has not been done in the past by Hornby as it would generate an extra product to run with the other 4 wheel coaches without costing too much to convert as all one is is painting certain window areas and printing the word "Guard" on the door. If Hornby read this, go for it Hornby!
The other wierd thing is watching short trains passing. It doesn't really look right. The lyout itself maybe a bit basic and trainsetty but it actually looks good and does well to promote the brand in a positive way.

What I hope to achieve from a model railway maybe a little different from most as for me I want a believeable little world in freelance form where prototypical operation can be carried out to give a real railway operating atmosphere. (Scenery does not need to be that realistic to provide a realistic feel). To me, a hand from the sky is more realistic to couple and uncouple then an automatic uncoupling as the concept of my narrow gauge railway is in its operation rather then its looks. Real narrow gauge along with the majority of standard gauge railways are coupled and uncoupled by hand (And a difficult ad messy task it is too! Been there and done that). Also real railways have ground frames and signal boxes etc. Now as my models do not have real passengers I do not need to have interlocking, but to try to get a realistic feel I do want point and signal levers to work points and signals. It is things like this that can bring a model railway to life even if the scenery itself may not be anywhere near realistic.
As far as looks go, consistency gives better results then accuracy. My locos are brushpainted in gloss to highlight the look of well looked after locos, as are my coaches. Waggons are in matt to give the used and less cared for look, and look like this even if they are freshly painted.
While I may not be anywhere near the stage where I would like to be, that is the type of railway I aim for. An ideal situation would be to have a railway that starts from a terminus and keeps going up and up to a final destination on a multi level layout which is a fair modelling distance from the start point, but until I know that I am settled, a small layout for me has to be an oval as for me small end to end layouts would bore me as the trains hardly have a chance to move.
Last edited by Mountain on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”