Wagon Wheels

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
heda

Wagon Wheels

Postby heda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:43 am

Not the chocolate covered marshmallow and biscuit kind (thought I'd get that in before anyone else).
I'm getting together some rolling stock nearly all which has plastic wheels that I intend to change to metal, there will be Various wagons, era 1940's should I use spoked wheels, 3 hole disc wheels, or a mix of both.
Dave

NickH

Re: Wagon Wheels

Postby NickH » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:52 am

An indication of scale and gauge might be useful.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:22 am

heda wrote:... Various wagons, era 1940's should I use spoked wheels, 3 hole disc wheels, or a mix of both.

Very definitely a mix. Broadest of broad overviews: the three hole disc was the 'new' wheel introduced well before WWII, and was what the railway companies were using as standard. But they and the private wagon builders would also recycle used spoked wheelsets, retyred if necessary, to keep costs down. Older railway company wagons and most of the former private owner vehicles (wooden body and frame construction coal wagons) would have spoked wheels, and there was variety here: usually eight spokes, with a 'split spoke' variant. (There's more variation yet...)

heda

Postby heda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 am

It will be OO

Bigmet has answered it for me, thanks, I was thinking of a mix just to add a little bit of interest. I'll likely go mainly for the 3 hold disc, but buy a pack of spoked and add to a few wagons.

Daev

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:23 am

Did wagons ever run with different style wheels at either end?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:56 am

Definitely! It happened often enough for it not to be commented on.There's also disc with 0,2 or 3 holes, but I think disc without holes was more likely to be the larger diameter coach wheels. Remember that some Dapol wagons have shorter axles than the Hornby and Bachmann ones. if you are going to be changing many you are certain to upset the back to back dimension on a few so a back to back gauge or better an electronic caliper gauge, is an essential tool, if you don't posses either. About a tenner for either.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

heda

Postby heda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks for the good advice Bufferstop
Almost all my stock is oldish Triang or Hornby, didn't want to buy expensive stuff as I intend to re-paint most of it. so I'll go for Hornby wheels, got a caliper gauge on order.
Dave

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:25 am

I can only echo what Bufferstop posted.
Get yourself a back to back gauge. It's an essential tool if your going to be changing wheelsets and much easier to use than a set of calipers. :idea:
Every rail modellor should have one in thier tool kit. I've used mine hundreds of times.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

heda

Postby heda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:25 pm

I shall add that to my list, I did have one for the N gauge and must admit when I came to check my stock was surprised at how far out a lot of it was.
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:31 pm

I should buy a back to back gauge tool. Though with different wheels the tool itself may not be ideal. I mean... Take some older wheels with a thicker flange design and the tool will set them too wide, so allowances have to be taken. I have always done it by eye from newish wheels that I know run well as a guide. I once saw one at a show about two years ago for £5 but didn't really have the funds to spend so I didn't buy it. A very useful tool though.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Thats a good point Mountain although personally I have removed all older wheelsets and replaced them with new ones.
It's the only Hornby product I buy regularly. Those older wider flanged wheels look terrible imo.
I will add 2 caveats...
I check ALL new rolling stocks back to backs as a good 80% of them are out.
I am only talking about wagon wheels not any locos. I have not replaced any loco wheels before so cannot comment on them.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

6C

Postby 6C » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Some wagons that were built new - with 3 hole discs - such as the 'modern' LMS 16t Minerals could receive a pair of spoked wheels at the time of overhaul - just to complicate it even further...
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

61xx

Postby 61xx » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:44 pm

I have a small Unimat lathe, and am able to re profile wagon and coach wheels to get pretty much the same profile on all of them. I have made a means of holding wheelsets between the chuck and tailstock.
I have even managed to re profile Lima pizza cutter coach wheels to an acceptable profile for wagons. They started as grossly undersize for coaches, and are even slightly undersize for wagons, but just about ok.....
Some people on another forum have complained that Dapol 6 wheel milk tanks can rock on the centre axle causing derailments. I haven't experienced this myself, but if I ever do I will remove the centre set of wheels and reduce the diameter by a miniscule amount.

It is very useful having a lathe, It gets used to remedy a lot of manufacturers overscale faults. Chimneys, smokebox doors etc etc

Rob

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”