How to sell N-guage railway?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
PFB

How to sell N-guage railway?

Postby PFB » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi - hoping someone might have some thoughts on the best way to sell my N-Guage railway. In essence, would I be best selling everything I've got as a job lot, or am I best selling everything individually?
I know it all probably depends on what I've got. so in case it helps, I made a 4'x3' layout (decades ago now) - and it's been sitting idle since. Obviously showing some signs of age but nothing that couldn't be tidied up and dusted off! There's at least one working engine (Graham Farish I think), several passenger carriages, and probably around 10 goods trucks - eg coal, Ford truck, etc. I spent quite a lots of time on the scenery so there's lots of buildings, several holes of a golf course etc two platforms/stations etc. Got lots of spare scenery things as well I never used.
Decided it's time to get rid, but do you think someone would be more likely to want to buy everything as separate items, or would an 'all in one' deal be a better and more attractive option?
Obviously the individual items easy to post, but the 4x3 layout made of chipboard *not* possible to post!!
I was thinking ebay, but if there are better options would be good to know about them!
Thanks for any thoughts.

heda

Re: How to sell N-guage railway?

Postby heda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:09 am

I have just sold my N gauge layout (oval in the countryside) the buyer is hopefully collecting today. I listed the layout itself and a couple of loco's on ebay. A buyer contacted me regarding the layout, I told him I had lots of other bits, in short he bought the layout through ebay and is buying all my rolling stock and a couple of loco's privately, leaving me with just a couple of loco's and odds and ends to list. I'm quite happy with the money I have recovered.
You will receive more selling separate than a job lot but it is more time consuming, listing, packing and taking to the post office etc.
A few days after my layout was listed I got an e-mail from Hattons telling me they buy second hand railway items, I ignored it as I didn't expect them to offer very much.
Dave

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:49 am

Ebay prices continue to amaze. Selling individually on such a site is likely to be time consuming, but ultimately likely to maximise the income. Selling to a large dealer is fast, we did it when my dad died some 33 years ago, and it all goes in one lump. This suited mam.

I'd work on the assumption that Hattons, Rails and the like are looking for at least 100% profit on bulk bought second hand items. So if a used loco is on sale for 75% of the new cost, expect 37.5% of new, at the most, from them when they buy. It could be a lot less!

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:20 am

Keeping a constant eye on ebay, I've noticed most sell thier layouts "bald" or bereft of any rolling stock or buildings.
Some will also list their other items as individual seperate items.

This will give you the biggest finanacial return. Dealers will give you a pittance.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Postby 4472 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:08 pm

Try the sales board on this site in the first instance, you never know and it's free
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

PFB

Postby PFB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies - I'll check out the sales board here then, but first of course I need to actually work out *exactly* what I've got!
Selling the layout on it's own, then all the stock separately sounds like good advice. I'd be happy to post smaller items too of course.
From checking ebay I've got a decent idea of what the stock might be worth - but not got a clue on the layout.
I'll do a bit more research maybe on that :-)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”