JAMES MAY'S BIG TROUBLE IN MODEL BRITAIN 06/03/19

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Ex-Pat

Re: JAMES MAY'S BIG TROUBLE IN MODEL BRITAIN 06/03/19

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am

Does anybody know exactly what Pete (Sandwich not Leamington!) said that was bleeped out?!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:15 am

Ex-Pat wrote:Does anybody know exactly what Pete (Sandwich not Leamington!) said that was bleeped out?!

I think the words "asset strippers" may have been used (subject to the usual caveats) :o
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:I think the words "asset strippers" may have been used (subject to the usual caveats) :o

I didn't realise caveats were so colourful!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Colourful? That was in gloss paint! ;)
Actually I can see the big concern when all the moulds were scrapped. What were the other guys thinking? They could have sold them on instead as a going concern, even if it was to sell on some of the bery old Triang moulds... Crazy scrapping them.
Where I used to work a similar thing happened where my old boss had purchased stock from a store which last traded around 30 years before, and had many new items that had to be 50 years old! We used to get museums and enthusiasts who somehow heard what we had (We didn't advertize) and would come from right round the country to buy stuff.
I had left the shop and eventually the boss retired and sold the business. The new owner hired a skip and all the old stock including many items that customers used to travel miles to buy were thrown. If he had sold them to the highest bidder he would have earned himself some money as well as saving rare parts. Ah well...
Anyway, I was impressed by that man who assembled the aircraft. It didn't look easy to get it to look like that. And to keep it a secret for so long! Well done that man!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Mountain wrote:Colourful? That was in gloss paint! ;)
Actually I can see the big concern when all the moulds were scrapped. What were the other guys thinking? They could have sold them on instead as a going concern, even if it was to sell on some of the bery old Triang moulds... Crazy scrapping them.
Where I used to work a similar thing happened where my old boss had purchased stock from a store which last traded around 30 years before, and had many new items that had to be 50 years old! We used to get museums and enthusiasts who somehow heard what we had (We didn't advertize) and would come from right round the country to buy stuff.
I had left the shop and eventually the boss retired and sold the business. The new owner hired a skip and all the old stock including many items that customers used to travel miles to buy were thrown. If he had sold them to the highest bidder he would have earned himself some money as well as saving rare parts. Ah well...
Anyway, I was impressed by that man who assembled the aircraft. It didn't look easy to get it to look like that. And to keep it a secret for so long! Well done that man!

Hang on - we are not talking about some surplus stock in a store that could be sold on Ebay, we are talking about injection moulding tooling, which requires expensive machines for them to be in any way useful, the tooling may also be designed to fit old IM machines which themselves have been scrapped. Most certainly old tooling will be worn and would probably require refurbishment before it can be used or else the parts produced will be affected by flash. The decision was probably correct.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Meister

Postby Meister » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:10 pm

Rather disappointed with this programme overall. Too much filler material and the message seemed to be that the previous management is entirely responsible for Hornby's current woes. There should have been more of a focus on the long-term issues that the company has faced and turning around the 'toy mentality' that persevered at Hornby for many years and resulted in the brand falling behind the curve as the market changed. Also a lot of time devoted to Airfix kits yet not a single mention of Corgi, which was very successful in the 1990s and has declined to almost nothing over the last decade or so.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 pm

Peterm wrote:I'd have a propergander if it aired out here. :wink:

LOL. For a proper gander in AU, the ever so naughty t******t word is the means old bean.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 am

4472 wrote:There is a following program at 22.00 (Timeshift) about the British love of model railways.

I actually liked this more than James May's show. Nice potted history of model railways and few clever bits of photography, a bit too much talking heads though as it seems you can't tell a story without hearing how people feel about it!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Got back from a short sojourn abroad, and watched it on the iPlayer, The disposal of that tooling may do everyone a favour in the end. Anything that has been produced in China will have the tools available, in China, what was left that was up to present day standards? I would guess that most of the remaining tooling was early Triang/Triang Hornby stuff that would really need new tooling to be used again. They've just retooled the Terrier which was one of the products they bought from Dapol because the Triang-Hornby stuff was so outdated. There could be a bit of benefit to anyone who has Triang stuff in a decent condition, it's value has just gone up a notch or two.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I enjoyed watching it, the tool scrapping was rather sad as you never know when they could be useful - it’s not as if they are short of space! But it’s probably as others have said tools that wouldn’t have been reusable anyway

The only bit that got to me was the seemingly 20 minutes they filmed the chap drinking his tea :lol: (well that’s what it felt like)

Looking forward to part 2

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Bufferstop wrote:...They've just retooled the Terrier...

And the first releases are now on sale. Wonder when development started, they managed to keep it very quiet.

muggins

Postby muggins » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:45 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hang on - we are not talking about some surplus stock in a store that could be sold on Ebay, we are talking about injection moulding tooling, which requires expensive machines for them to be in any way useful, the tooling may also be designed to fit old IM machines which themselves have been scrapped. Most certainly old tooling will be worn and would probably require refurbishment before it can be used or else the parts produced will be affected by flash. The decision was probably correct.

Nail on head. As an ex-toolmaker and ex-moulding shop manager, I can assure you that few things caused more groaning all round than some bright spark wanting an old mould tool refurbishing and converting to fit a machine it wasn't intended for. Yes, it is usually possible, but rarely does it make much sense. It's invariably a major PITA all round.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Meister wrote: Also a lot of time devoted to Airfix kits yet not a single mention of Corgi, which was very successful in the 1990s and has declined to almost nothing over the last decade or so.

Scalextric features in part 2 but no mention of Corgi in the previews of the show I have read

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Bigmet wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:...They've just retooled the Terrier...

And the first releases are now on sale. Wonder when development started, they managed to keep it very quiet.

Easier too keep the Terrier under wraps when they have been producing one on and off until very recently. To the casual observer it would just look like some tooling for the Terrier, or some bits of extra detail.
Having the ex boss of Oxford on board should see Corgi sorted one way or another. I suspect he'll either resurrect it, or bury it for good.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:26 am

An enjoyable programme that could have emphasised the business aspects of Hornby's troubles a little more but then, perhaps, the key players were in no position to tell all they knew. Gerrard, Catford, touched a chord when he mentioned Beattie's Southgate shop - my first faint stirrings of fascination began with looking in their window while waiting for the bus home from outings in Grovelands Park. This was about the time when Triang Hornby as was was just beginning to realise that people wanted something more than toy trains. Their first tentative steps towards greater realism took the form of LNER 'Thompson' and 'Caledoniam' coaches that utilised their then BR Mk1 tooling. A feature of those models was that they could be stripped down, a feature that, applied to their latest offerings could, if viable do a lot to restore Hornby's fortune. I for one would be a taker - the sides of their Maunsells could with a little surgery go into the making of a credible EMU.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”