Do the increasing prices of model railways effect how much you spend?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.

Do you find yourself spending :-

More then you used to?
13%
Or less then you used to?
60%
About the same?
27%

Total votes: 45

Mountain

Re: Do the increasing prices of model railways effect how much you spend?

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:28 am

The results actually surprized me a little. (To be honest I just made this as an excuse to try out the pole option. I was going to put an average yearly spend catagory but then it seems to commercial so I thought the above was better). I assumed there were not many that felt the same way as I feel. I know I am an exceptional case in some respects due to mostly having no income or limited income (I have a supportive mum).

This does show that the model railway industry tends to be trying to concentrate on high end models in more limited numbers assuming that they will still sell in future years and perhaps they will. The masses may have to rely on cheaper items and secondhand with the occasional big spend when they can. Hornby do cater for budget modellers as long as they still keep a cap on their lower end prices which do seem to be about £5 a loco more then I would have expected on the lower end, but still, they do make some acceptable and actually good stuff depending on what one is looking at. Bachmann I have not kept up with, but in the past they tend to assume budget means a childs toy, and while in many cases this is correct in the past, in present time and future times this is changing actually quite fast.
Secondhand prices are actually low compared to how things once were, but secondhand is very much a popular choice. I do see a big gap in the market to provide running chassis to sell for some of the older models. These have been tried in the past (E.g. Bachmann chassis upgrades for suitable Mainline locos that have expired but are still loved). but I think this market does have great potential as things progress. Maybe general chassis which are adaptable is a good idea, as some of us don't mind slightly smaller wheels or a slightly shorter wheelbase as long as the overall look is ok.
The other thoughts that I have is that in future years budget and medium range models do have a large market which does seem to be almost neglected. I don't say it is neglected by any means, but if one sees the model railway magazines one would assume that everything is high end, where it is more likely that those who can't aford high end have just stopped spending.
Many thanks to all those who voted and replied. Feel free to vote if one has not voted. It is quite interesting to see how things pan out. I origionally assumed that the majority would be in the spending more catagory due to the increasing costs of models, so the pole is rather exciting to see how it all ends up.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:27 pm

A factor to keep in mind is that a vast pile of the better RTR OO has been sold these past twenty years. Much of it will re-emerge on the s/h market, just as s/h Margate Hornby and Lima is now in ready supply. This 'pile' what I am looking at as my mid to longer term supply of mechanism spares in particular: I don't believe anyone will leap in with running chassis spares. (At least not if they recollect Bachmann's experience with the split chassis spares that they were uneconomic to manufacture and for stockists to hold; and left Bachmann saddled with the expectation that they would continue to provide chassis spares for all their post-split chassis productions.)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm

I bought one of them to get a loco working and it ran lovely. The only strange thing was that the con rods were upsideown and as to correct the issue would take messing with delicate valve gear I left them as they were.
I did want to buy three or four other chassis (As Mainline upgrades. I didn't mind they were split chassis types) but I found that they were hard to get, as no sooner had shops my way had them they were selling out and couldn't get any more.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:36 pm

I have a budget for recreational use. So as my fancy takes me I buy what I want, roughly within the limit. If Brexit doubles the price of everything I'd buy half as many things as I do now. If prices halved I may well spend less, as srorage would start to run out.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:49 pm

I usually buy what I want when I want it, the price is considered but not the deciding factor.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:15 pm

I answered NO.
There is a reason though. When first setting out on my modelling adventure I didn't have the proper tools and this made the spend sky rocket.
Now that I have most of what I need my spending has dropped off considerably. There is only about 3 more items of rolling stock I want unless something is produced for the area I am modelling plus some point motors and perhaps a few bits of track. Everything beyond that will be scenics.
As an advocate of the LINKA system and modelling with it, this has really thinned down what I need to buy in the way of generic buildings.
I even built my station building with LINKA :)
The pre-made buildings I did want, I have already bought.

MY PERSONAL CAVEAT! - The caveat being that I only own a Bachmann EZ Command controller that can only run 9/10 trains. This has helped me in not going overboard buying loco's, albiet once I have all the loco's I want (around 12) I will need a larger controller IF and only IF I want to run ALL loco's / have ALL loco's on track, at the same time.
I'm not in any rush to buy a new controller in any case.

I increase my modelling budget by buying single items or items in large lots then reselling them (as single items in the case of a lot bought).
This has helped my buy items that I may not have otherwise had the cash for.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Increasing prices? Went to Model Rail Scotland today (excellent show) Bachmann green class 40 £70, Hornby green class 40 (full DDC TTS sound etc) £55 whistling happily all the way home :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 am

It's a fact that waiting for the right price usually pays off. For me this is typically by purchase of s/h items, followed by retailer clearances. The s/h, all I can say is that there appear to be lots of purchasers who never get much closer to using the model than opening the box and maybe running it on track for a few minutes. Fine models that are unused or nearly so for less cash.

While I very much enjoy the RTR manufacturers bringing models of never previously touched classes to market (c'mon Oxford, where are the reasonably priced N7/3's?) there is a plenitude of choice already available to keep me busy for at least the next 20 years, should I be spared.

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 pm

There was a time when I would try to get every variant sold for my particular era, but now there are too many for me to still be a 'collector' so I am a lot more selective. I've decided that I will now 'self-fund', ie only buy new from a paypal balance funded by selling some of my unused stuff, with no 'new money'.

What I have discovered in testing some of this stock before selling it is how many have suffered the dreaded split-gears. I have gone through every loco I have and have even found some relatively recent purchases have suffered this fate, even though they have only run one metre in each direction when they were bought to check running and working lights (bought within a year of now). Circumstances have meant I haven't always had much time to play trains, but I bought new releases that fitted my era before they sold out. For these recent and essentially non-run models to have split gears in storage in such a short timespan makes me very reluctant to want to spend £130+ on buying a new loco. :evil:
Question: is this more an N-gauge problem or do OO-gauge models also suffer this issue?

This is a bigger reason for me to no longer want to make any new purchases. I'm not so sure that spares can be obtained for the newer releases (BR-Lines is good for old stuff, but where to get spares for current locos?)

So in answer to your initial question - both cost and perceived quality have meant I now spend a LOT less :(

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:28 pm

While you can certainly get split gears with 00 gauge models, they tend to be with models which are around 20 years old and older, and then even with the few (Not many) models which are known for a few to split, it is more like one in six or one in ten that do split of those mentioned.
Is the area where you store them warm or hot? Also, is there a dehumidifier present? (I once purchased a very nice vintage car where the window seals had cracked and they had only been replaced a few years before, solely due to the previous owner running a dehumidifier. It keeps the rust off though!) It could be an N gauge thing.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:45 am

so I put yes to this, even though I only really buy stuff when they're on offer or bargain packs or similar, the reason being though, in the past I'd always put off buying stuff because I'd seen it cheaper in offers before and I'd be waiting for the offers to return, but they never did return and the average prices only increased, so recently my mindset has been more, if I find something I want at a good price, I may as well just get it rather than put it off and have to spend more in the future

so basically what I'm saying is, I'm not necessarily spending more per item, more I'm buying more items while all these sales are on, for example I don't think we'll be seeing a super detailed hornby black 5 plus 3 detailed stanier coaches for £150 again

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am

Not in the slightest.

I rarely buy new, or even r-t-r for that matter. I decided a long time ago that there was absolutely no point in buying stock that would never even come out of the box let alone be run. It’s just collecting for collecting’s sake.

The pleasure that I get comes out of building or bashing these days, and it’s a lot cheaper too!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 am

Increased prices HAVE been a worry for me, and I have passed over many a loco as I've deemed it too expensive, I then search for a 2nd hand version, or wait a few years for the prices to come down, other than that, my spending is about the same.

I say that cos I have ups and downs in spending. Some months I'll spend money on buildings landscaping etc, and no Loco's or running stock at all. Then I'll not spend a penny for maybe 3 to 8 months, as I've bought what I need at the time to use on the layout. Once I've finish making the buildings or run out of flock, trees, or whatever than I start on my spending again. So I would say in the long run I'm about the same.

I do have a nasty habit of "wide-eyed-blindness", where I see a very attractive loco,coach or vehicle, and just can't help myself! that's the downside of living alone, and having no-one to control my urges (ummm that sounded very suggestive! sorry :oops: :shock: )

I have bought some really expensive items, "because I can", and I do a little happy dance that I've got it, and then after 3 months I'll look at it and say, "why the hell did I buy that for?" - buyers remorse I spose, but I also sell some of my excess stock, so all in all its evens out.

As for budgets ......ummmmmmmmm I don't have one, just my sense of what is affordable for me, on a single disposable income.
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

bobsson

Postby bobsson » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:06 am

The only thing I can see myselt buying in the future is glue, paint, card, scatter, trees, people and printer cartridges, as for locos and rolling stock I have no intention of encouraging Dick Turpin or Jesse James, Hattons 2nd hand stuff is looking pretty good, when buying a new loco costs more than buying a fortnights groceries for my wife and I they can arrange their locos where the sun dont shine, its not a case of money I just cant see the value at todays prices.

Dave

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:22 am

The increasing cost, complexity and fragility of new models, along with my desire to recycle, reuse and reduce waste means that it is now very rare that I buy brand new rolling stock. I also enjoy fixing and restoring pre-used items :) . Some the the design practices on new models also put me off including semi permanently coupled tenders, flangeless wheels on trailing trucks and hard to access mechanisms (e.g. DJ models). I'm not against all progress, replaceable brass bearings, flywheels, weighty metal loco bodies, brake shoes in line with wheels, properly fitted NEM sockets and all wheel pickup are great :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”