Do the increasing prices of model railways effect how much you spend?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.

Do you find yourself spending :-

More then you used to?
13%
Or less then you used to?
60%
About the same?
27%

Total votes: 45

Mountain

Do the increasing prices of model railways effect how much you spend?

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Just out of interest.

Mountain

Re: Do the increasing prices of model railways effect how much you spend?

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:57 pm

I don't spend as much as I used to due to a change of income and a move to 7mm narrow gauge, though I have spent a bit this year on an Unimat!
Anyway. See the pole thing above.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm

I'll be buying fewer items but, sadly, spending the same. And I do hope Mr Bank Manager doesn't read this!

Bigmet

Re: Do the increasing prices of model railways affect how much you spend?

Postby Bigmet » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:51 pm

Happily, I have most everything that my modelling interest requires already. My budget is set 'whatever'.

In short I will purchase what goes on sale that is a fit for my modelling, and in 2019 that looks like being a couple of round top boiler N7s from Oxford Rail, probably a couple more of the newly tooled LNER and LMS brakes from Hornby, some kits and drawings, and whatever useful s/h turns up.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:20 pm

I don't actually spend that often these days. Maybe once or twice a year or something like that, but my spending is more on tools these days rather then model railway items, or cheaply bought non model railway items to use as scratchbuilding projects. Every now and then (Maybe once every other year if an average is to be told) I buy a lovely little 0-4-0 ready for a narrow gauge conversion.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:32 pm

As per others I have virtually everything that I need.

Prices now are ridiculously high so the chances of me buying more than the bare essentials are minimal.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:07 pm

I simply will not spend top drawer if I can get it second hand, I have a ceiling of £100 for locos that I only breached for the J36 so as the £100+ loc becomes the norm rather than the exception my purchase power diminishes rapidly, I am even considering cancelling my order for the Rails Caley 0-6-0. Unfortunately second hand prices seem to be spiraling as well. Thankfully I have more than I can cope with, all I really needed was a couple of Hornby class 40 chassis to replace the Lima ones, but non-TTS 40s are not common. Even these are not a priority, seem to have more fun building stuff now.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:29 pm

less, like Jim i have a rough ceiling of £100 for locos that moves them from being 'impulse buys' to more exceptions and even then they are reaching the point of too expensive to consider, a few quid extra for something i really like is OK but some are now double this!

coupled with everyday life getting in the way my spending has been reduced significantly, excluding a bit of a splurge in the Christmas sales :wink:

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:48 pm

The same as I used to. I just finish up with less stuff.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Less. It is only something to do with scenery that interests me when purchasing.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:51 pm

I've spent more lately but there have been a few years where nothing that interested me or I thought worth the price, even at the then lower prices. Rubber. Tyres and tender drives, the BR standardwns or blue diesels, none of them had the charm of individuality that I looked for. I may have to impose my own spending controls if many more "small and or quirky" models are produced.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:57 pm

About the same, why? Well I'd say it's because my spending is more down to the rare occasions of having money to spend,I'll spend how I would normally spend, what I acquire is down to the price, but its not like i can really afford brand new stuff anyways, what I do invest in doesn't change much in price,

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:13 am

I stopped spending a lot on the hobby about four years ago, during that time I learned that small locos and short trains are just as much fun as big locos and long trains, to be honest I found them to be more realistic on my 10ft x 5ft layout, I do use DCC I also have fun scratch building so save money there, having been in the hobby for nearly sixty years I do believe that the cost has blown out to a stage where a you could buy a half decent second hand car for the same outlay as a model locomotive., like so many others I will only buy second hand.
Regards
Nobby

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:33 am

I've had a budget of £50 per month for many years now plus some extra for birthday,fathers day,Christmas,probably in total @ £900 a year ,I've recently over spent ,bought 2 Locos ,18ct gold plated things that I don't need but wanted ,cost me £240 ,so I've spent up my budget for a few months now ,,,,

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:40 am

Interesting thoughts on loco 'ceiling' price. I don't have one of those. Possibly because when we at last started to see decent RTR OO - which for me was defined by Bachmann's WD 2-8-0 released in 1999 - the price was £80. (Same money was asked for Hornby's MN and Heljan's class 47, released 2000 and 2001 respectively.) That didn't seem outrageous, since all of them offered real improvement over both UK made Hornby and Lima for about £25 more. If you wanted to build equivalents from a kit, in the case of the steamers it was easily double the money of this 'new standard' RTR.
(In my opinion, the price perception got distorted by the loony discounting phase from about 2005 - 2010. The latest pacific models as £40 'giveaways' was never going to last. I could see that and filled my boots, seize the day and all that!)

Twenty years on, and it is still the case that a RTR OO loco is cheaper than the build a kit route, and unless you are very gifted, the RTR item will be superior in appearance especially if it has a fully lined out livery (black I can do!). I only buy what fits my modelling subject, if 'they' make it and I haven't yet achieved a good DIY result, I will buy. (Fourteen loco classes left!) Wagons and coaches now, I can beat on price with kits and DIY, and since these are brown and grey and maroon under BR, I can paint them adequately too. (Now the Pullman coaches essential for East Coast services, those are a bargain even at full price: I cannot match the livery application, crests and lettering, and 'brass' bits and pieces.)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”