Latest Arrival!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Latest Arrival!

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:11 am

It arrived yesterday, this is it straight from the box and trundling around the layout.
20190213_171038.jpg

It will be interesting to see if the recommended running in can make any improvement, it's silky smooth already. There's a bagful of bits to attach, cowcatchers without a hole, doors (choice of open or closed), windows ditto, chains for holding up side skirts, coupling hook, shedplates for every shed or district. If the price is the new reality then this is what I expect for my money. I'm practising my withering look for the first adult to ask if it's called T..... :evil:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Re: Latest Arrival!

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 am

Bufferstop wrote:It arrived yesterday, this is it straight from the box and trundling around the layout.
20190213_171038.jpg
It will be interesting to see if the recommended running in can make any improvement, it's silky smooth already. There's a bagful of bits to attach, cowcatchers without a hole, doors (choice of open or closed), windows ditto, chains for holding up side skirts, coupling hook, shedplates for every shed or district. If the price is the new reality then this is what I expect for my money. I'm practising my withering look for the first adult to ask if it's called T..... :evil:

And I was just going to say is one of the bits to attach a face! :lol:

Ducks down and finds cover......
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Having had some time exploring this model and the contents of the box, there is one item which was unexpected but most welcome. A booklet the same footprint as the box which as well as telling you who made it and who to contact, plus a gentle warning about using the modern coreless motor with older heavyweight power unit, gives a short history of the class, details of it's deployment, and a comprehensive how to for fitting a decoder, the fitting of the optional parts even down to suitable adhesives and where to get them. All written in a friendly style. Whether this booklet was the idea of Model Rail or Rapido Trains I don't know, but who ever it was, well done, there's some bigger names who could learn something here. The only omission I think is a warning about using these motors on address 0, they will burn out rapidly if left standing with the DCC power on, but this is not a problem specific to this model, just something that may be overlooked in the excitement to see it running.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Saw one running at Club on Tuesday.
Expensive, but somehow they've given so much detail and
information that you don't feel robbed. Not my loco by the
way !
I wonder if a Bachmann USA face would fit ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 pm

It puts Hornby's oversized effort to shame, face or no face. A predilection for small locos has one advantage, when they arrive there's no enquiry as to what it cost just oooh's and aaahs. With quite a pool of small locos of various types I can see my "Santa Special" diorama being revamped and perhaps connected end to end with another of similar size, fishing port, quarry, same track plan two points back to back with a short spur off each leg, then see what you can make of it.

Third attempt to post this without Google's helpful last second word substitutions

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 am

Very nice, what coach is it pulling? It looks very Henrietta like...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:11 am

Bufferstop wrote:...It will be interesting to see if the recommended running in can make any improvement, it's silky smooth already. There's a bagful of bits to attach, cowcatchers without a hole, doors (choice of open or closed), windows ditto, chains for holding up side skirts, coupling hook, shedplates for every shed or district. If the price is the new reality then this is what I expect for my money...

On the basis of your photo and description, Rapido have definitely delivered for Model Rail. Your photo blown up on screen to 1/24 scale, the model still looked good and crisp, and nice detail like the subtle arches at the top of the side openings could be better appreciated. Incidentally it also revealed the well observed ballasting and vegetation in the foreground of the layout, which all adds to the general perception of the model.

I support your observations on value for money. It's got to be good to command the price. Now the big question: are you going to weather it, even if only subtly, 'just returned from works overhaul and repaint' style. I am tempted, but this loco really isn't fit for my modelling and would require a large fictional 'adjustment' to the layout. But there is an exquisite detailing opportunity based on one of these locos in service. Someone's boots had presumably got wet, and were hanging by their laces to dry in the small end door (where Toby's face happily isn't...).

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 pm

I think it's very mean of everyone teasing him. It's a lovely model and any passing resemblance to a certain children's character is toby ignored.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Bufferstop,,,,for us less knowledgeable could you please tell us what it is ? And where could one get one ? ,,I do like the look of it and I'm always interested in items that perhaps are exclusive,,,,thanks,,mjb

Hi Bufferstop ,,,,you don't need to reply,after posting the question I used my loaf and found it ,,J70 ,very nice indeed :D :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Hymirl wrote:Very nice, what coach is it pulling? It looks very Henrietta like...

It was the Bachmanns' Henrietta, I got it on line from Tootally Thomas. True to the model used on TV it had deep battens, a scale 3" * 3" along its sides, where it should have two lines of beading. I trimmed them off and put on a new panel of ten thou plastic. I'm not too sure on its scaling as Bachmanns' say they produce the Thomas range to 00 standards but it matches up reasonably well to the 4mm scale drawings I have of the coaches. They came fitted with Mainline style couplers and plastic wheels on stainless steel axles, I swapped the couplers for the narrow ones and found some brass wheels to replace the plastic ones retaining the non magnetic axles. For the bogie coach you'd need two Henrietta's which is exactly how they made the originals even down to retaining the steps and ironwork at the ends.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:23 pm

I recently got my youngest (2 years old), a Bachmann Toby, and that was described in the packaging as HO scale, but looks fine going around with the Hornby Edward, Thomas and Percy, and looks equally fine pulling a Hornby Annie and Clarabel.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:00 pm

@Bigmet, the ballasting was done in my usual manner, "don't try too hard", later I wiped a brush with some PVA on it, and hovered the electric tea strainer over it just long enough for some sparse grass to take root. Nature usually does things in a seemingly haphazard way, you just have to find your own way of imitating it.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 am

I have a Hornby Toby and it runs fine. :)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Nowt wrong with Hornby's Toby's running It's just too darned tall. Many of their smaller locos are the same, Nellie, Polly and co were, and so is Smokey Joe. Which is probably all the better for your conversions.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”