Recent changes to RMWeb

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mike Parkes

Re: Recent changes to RMWeb

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:04 pm

I was hoping they would split topics up - threads on specific loco types are enormous and could be broken up to sub threads
Announcement
Speculation
The prototype
Reviews
DCC issues

Is usually the last two topics that I am interested it - is the model decent and what issues are their fitting a dcc decoder.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:37 pm

The Layouts section needs to be split up into defined sections, at the moment there are far too many projects competing for space, unlike NRM which has 50 slots on each page RMweb has only 25 with a much higher volume of traffic and as a result you can miss good layouts as they will be away down off page 1 in a matter of hours, on here it takes over a month to be relegated from page 1 so you can catch up with all the new developments.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:49 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:The Layouts section needs to be split up into defined sections, at the moment there are far too many projects competing for space, unlike NRM which has 50 slots on each page RMweb has only 25 with a much higher volume of traffic and as a result you can miss good layouts as they will be away down off page 1 in a matter of hours, on here it takes over a month to be relegated from page 1 so you can catch up with all the new developments.

Jim

I am a member on a shipping forum. A little while back they ‘modernised things’. Before the change one could keep track of postings, but now because they have grouped certain sections keeping track has become a nightmare.

If RM Web have done the same I can see members becoming disenchanted, leave and join another Forum.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 pm

I know from time to time I'll mutter about pspBB's ideosyncracies, but it does have some useful touches like "New Posts" and "Active Topics" the search facility is extremely powerful, but it does take some learning to use if you want to make use of the advanced features. We do take note of comments, perhaps it's a good thing that there's a split in the team between the Amin's and More, and the owners who have control of major updates, nothing happens too guick :D
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Lysander wrote:but I was left wondering what other users of RMWeb thought.

I think that the whole new scheme is awful

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Lysander wrote:..., I find that the overall governance of the place has mellowed somewhat.

Probably depends where you look; IMO it's as charmless as ever. I read the first page of the thread about the changes and one poor bloke who said the brightness was hurting his eyes and could there be anything put in place to alter it was curtly told to get sunglasses. Anyone who uses a PC a lot for work will know that eye strain isn't something to be treated with flippancy

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Lysander wrote: ...I was left wondering what other regular users of RMWeb thought...

It is just a machine for collating information. Being a borg I don't use any features, just remember every thread title and location of interest, so for me nothing functional has changed. If a thread is of great potential future interest I may seed it with a very unusual word to assist in a later search. It's a little more bulky on screen than the nice simple board s/w this site uses, but that's life.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 pm

I think the deal with Google, for bits of advertising on index pages, some or most of which can be filtered off if you really object, treats us well. It looked to me as though content was being invaded by ads on their new format, some thing that would get me moaning for sure. When some ads started bursting out of the space in the header, I reported them to Google who knew straight away what was wrong and made the advertisers fix it promptly. I've tried several different page templates, (my little RAID box has phpBB server on it) I haven't found one yet that I would rather use.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 am

Today I've been pestered by alerts of replies to threads, some of which I haven't even looked at. After turning off that feature in google I wait to see if they come back. Frankly they've taken a decent enough forum and beggared it about to the point where I'm considering letting my account go.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 am

Whatever users think the answer will either be "it's for your own good" or "if you don't like it, leave".

Funnily enough Britmodeller uses exactly the same software and somehow manages to not fall over every time it's updated. And they still have "View New Content".
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:45 pm

stuartp wrote:Whatever users think the answer will either be "it's for your own good" or "if you don't like it, leave".

Sounds like the EU. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm

It does but then they can't hide behind being POLITICAL! (just about)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”