Recent changes to RMWeb

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Lysander

Recent changes to RMWeb

Postby Lysander » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:01 am

I understand that the current software upgrade was necessary and it must be hugely frustrating for those involved in its implementation that it appears to have been beset with multiple problems.

I use RMWeb a lot, it is an invaluable source of detailed, often arcane, information and whilst it does have its detractors, I find that the overall governance of the place has mellowed somewhat. Whilst there seem to have been one or two high-profile departures in the recent past, the membership appears far more relaxed and the explosive hissy-fits of the old days are just that, the old days.

So, an upgrade wasn't feared, by me anyway. However, I find the new outer structure of the site extremely difficult to manage: there just seems to be too much on the screen to easily assimilate. Of course, the upgrade is not completely installed yet and maybe all will become clear in due course. I find currently that the effort required to find what I'm looking for extremely frustrating however, almost a disincentive to visit. I know, some of this will be down to me simply not understanding what is there, but I was left wondering what other regular users of RMWeb thought.

Please keep replies constructive: this query is not about knocking RMWeb or rubbishing the changes.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

trainlover23

Re: Recent changes to RMWeb

Postby trainlover23 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 am

Strange I find it an improvement

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 am

It's seems better once you find your way.
Never enough time...........

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:34 am

I use tablets and phones to access fora and now, even in condensed view rmweb shows far fewer topics to a single screen than other fora, including this one. So scrolling is becoming an issue

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am

Tom@Crewe wrote:It's seems better once you find your way.

That may be the issue Tom. However I still get 'page not found' and other issues when I do get in.

Tony

RFS

Postby RFS » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:04 am

I found it a bit overwhelming at first, as normally when I access forums the first thing I go to is "New Content". It wasn't easy to see how to do this with RMWeb at first, but I've now cracked it.

If you're on a PC full screen then "activity" appears in a bar at the top. Hover over that, select "my activity content" and then "new stream". I've created one for new content since last visit, have restricted it to topics only, and also compressed display. So now I get one line per topic and you can go direct to the last post by clicking on the time.

If you have a smaller display - and this includes a PC with the screen split - then you access activity via the 3 bars at the top right.
Robert Smith

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:59 am

Might just be the change, but i've found the mobile version a little difficult. I guess like many of these things its a matter of getting used to something that is different to how you remember it. It seems to be in transition at the moment.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Currently unable to find my Blog, but it asks for titles
and I've always make them up to suit each posting and can't
actually remember any.
It'll take time to settle and be fully updated so really just
living with it as is.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:43 pm

RFS wrote:I found it a bit overwhelming at first, as normally when I access forums the first thing I go to is "New Content". It wasn't easy to see how to do this with RMWeb at first, but I've now cracked it.

If you're on a PC full screen then "activity" appears in a bar at the top. Hover over that, select "my activity content" and then "new stream". I've created one for new content since last visit, have restricted it to topics only, and also compressed display. So now I get one line per topic and you can go direct to the last post by clicking on the time.

If you have a smaller display - and this includes a PC with the screen split - then you access activity via the 3 bars at the top right.

That's exactly what I did, once I'd sussed that, I'm pretty much back to browsing the forum as I did before. You can even set the new stream you create as the default one so it replaces the "unread content" button in the top right of the screen which is really useful, and you can set it to go immediately to first unread post which is great too.

I think whichever way you used to browse the forum, it's still possible to do so, and probably easier, but only once you set up the right activity stream. Once you've sussed that, you're away.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Currently unable to find my Blog, but it asks for titles
and I've always make them up to suit each posting and can't
actually remember any.
It'll take time to settle and be fully updated so really just
living with it as is.

Geoff T.

Can't you just look in your profile for blog posts? That's what I did anyway, here it is Geoff: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/blog/608-dad-1s-blog/ :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:33 pm

I am not currently on the RMWeb site so can't comment, but I like the way how this site is friendly to other sites. It makes a real difference.
I am on one site which is not related to model railways and though that site is farly good (I was grafted in as a partial moderator to assist) on some other sites relating to the same subject one can get banned just by mentioning their competitors. On one such site I was muted and temporarily kicked because I said the word "Coca cola" incase I was promoting the product. That site closed a few years ago as most members left.

On sites there can be difficulties between members and often some may take offense where others don't have a clue what they have said. It can be difficult as we are all different and all have our own ways of doing things. We can say things in humour when others dont find it funny, or we can say things just to guide when other may consider it a heavy handed criticism. I can just imagine the difficulties the EU have with all those different people with different thoughts, ideas and ways come together and don't really understand where oters are coming from as every country is different and has people who act and react in different ways. It can't be an easy job at the best of times to keep things in order.

Back to RM Web. I have on occasions seen some lovely layouts and articles in there. I am on four model railway sites but use three. This is about the limit to how much I can cope with. I rarely look at the fourth site, even though it is a nice site. I am one who tends to stay with just a few sites and not explore too much further. I think I rarely go outside of looking at more then six or seven sites in my whole internet experience other then rare times of research, but that is me. Is rather like life. It has a whole lot of subjects to explore but we tend to immerse ourselves in two or three and let others enjoy the rest. Is not that we don't appreciate others, but we specialize. Why ones schooling can be a difficult time as they seek to teach a broad range of subjects to get ones mind to think outside the box.
Anyway. Ignore my ramblings... Back to RM Web. :)

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:10 pm

RFS wrote:If you're on a PC full screen then "activity" appears in a bar at the top. Hover over that, select "my activity content" and then "new stream". I've created one for new content since last visit, have restricted it to topics only, and also compressed display. So now I get one line per topic and you can go direct to the last post by clicking on the time.

Robert, that was extremely helpful. Thank you.

Tony

GreenBR

Postby GreenBR » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Hello,
Had a quick look the other day - will give it a week then try to get back into it
Stephen

Apparently my memory has been degraded - so i am not stupid after all - what a relief!

http://www.mainline-railways.co.uk http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk

6C

Postby 6C » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Unlike this site topics veer off topic within 3 comments usually - so I'll not rejoin - especially as one 'moderator' offered to come up north and "sort me out" - I said fine, but felt I should mention that I was ex-Forces and rejected by the Para's because ~I was too tall and big - funnily enough 'sort out' never happened :lol: :lol:

BTW - topic was about a certain manufacturers split chassis locos...my feeling was that they had a 'special relationship' with that manufacturer, that was at least unhealthy...
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:56 pm

6C wrote:Unlike this site topics veer off topic within 3 comments usually - so I'll not rejoin - especially as one 'moderator' offered to come up north and "sort me out" - I said fine, but felt I should mention that I was ex-Forces and rejected by the Para's because ~I was too tall and big - funnily enough 'sort out' never happened :lol: :lol:

BTW - topic was about a certain manufacturers split chassis locos...my feeling was that they had a 'special relationship' with that manufacturer, that was at least unhealthy...

I never go near any of the manufacturer's sub-forums because I have no interest, there's very rarely anything RTR that interests me,. A happy by-product of this is that most of the bitching and sniping is contained within those pages too!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”