Brake Tender For Diesel Locomotives

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mjb1961

Brake Tender For Diesel Locomotives

Postby mjb1961 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:59 pm

I had an email from key publishing advertising this offer of a brake tender ,never heard of it / one untill now,apparently they were built back in the early days of diesels to help them stop because there stopping ability was poor when hauling heavy freight,anyway it is produced by Dapol for a joint venture between Hornby magazine and Key Publishing,,may well be in the latest Hornby mag or you can go to key publishing website ,,,I've ordered the plain green one £35 inc post ,,, :D :D take a look ,see what you think ,,,,mjb

Bigmet

Re: Brake Tender For Diesel Locomotives

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 pm

This model will be a reissue. The first batch were produced two or three years ago.

They didn't last long in service, as BR got busy replacing the unbraked freight stock that made them necessary. It wasn't so much that the diesels that replaced steam had significantly less brake force than the steamers formerly on the work, but that there was often significantly greater power output effortlessly on tap (no breaking the fireman's back). So it was all too easy to work up to rather greater speed than had previously been attained. And then stopping could become a problem.

The rather muddled thinking behind these devices was very typical of BR at the time, and part of what makes it so fascinating to model. It doesn't need the brain of Britain to realise that the effort put into getting these built and then managing their operation, would have been better invested in fitting revenue wagons with continuous brakes, and then managing these wagons in 'fitted head' blocks to serve the same purpose of increasing the brake force, and also available for carrying a revenue earning load.

(Other cheaper and simple solutions for more brake force were available too, such as running diesels in multiple (BR had built more than it needed) and deploying underused or redundant vac. braked wagons such as cattle wagons as fitted heads. But there we are, it's always more fun to build something...)

D0260

Postby D0260 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Never heard of a Brake Tender .... try Google....

https://www.google.com/search?q=brake+t ... 42&bih=912

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm

The one with small yellow panels is already sold out! Suspect if you want one of the others you better move fast, only 500 of each were made.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:53 pm

There are resin models of these out there somewhere, too.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 am

I remember them in use in 1960s in the Tees area. Usually, but not always, propelled, sometimes used in pairs they were a feature of the slowly disappearing unfitted freights. They were made using old carriage bogies under a prefabricated box which was then filled with scrap metal and a top fitted. Almost any green diesel could be seen with them, I remember class 20s and 37s [as they became] using them but suspect many other classes used them too.

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:51 am

Lysander wrote:There are resin models of these out there somewhere, too.

Tony

Also white metal kits from Genesis Models, with a couple of different designs. This one is basically the same design as the magazine one, but I also have one of the girder-based type to build.

Genesis Diesel Brake Tender Under Construction - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Edit: Correction, they do three different kinds (short round, long round, and the girder type design), and also have several different bogies on offer too (LMS, BR 1, and Gresley types).
Last edited by SRman on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:47 am

I always thought that the ones with Gresley coach bogies looked particularly odd.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm

I bought a plain green one when this batch was first advertised.
It was a 'nostalgia' buy. It reminded me of the Peaks on the parcels trains through Chesterfield in the early to mid 60s. They always seemed to have a brake tender on the front.
I don't think many would have found there way up a branch line like PETERSDALE so not really prototypical.
There's a picture of it on my PETERSDALE thread on page 22 aftrr I'd had it weathered.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”