Hattons Pre-owned - whats your experience?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
alex3410

Hattons Pre-owned - whats your experience?

Postby alex3410 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Hey guys,

Thought i would pick your brains a bit, I had a few bad experiences in a row buying second hand locos (not from hattons but from ebay, shows etc) which really put me off - my thought process was to buy less overall but get something new i knew would be OK. I still buy rolling stock etc second hand, its cheaper so if something is duff its not as much of a hit, its easier to asses beforehand and issues can be tackled easier then locos.

Anyway I was looking at prices for a new loco and did the usual rounds, while doing so i noticed Hattons have it at a relatively decent price pre-owned.

It got me wondering what their pre owned items are like and how you have all got on with them? are they generally well described? what is their returns policy like? has anyone had to use it? how well do they 'test' the items?

Any thoughts comments would be appreciated

D605Eagle

Re: Hattons Pre-owned - whats your experience?

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Tim has a thread about Hattons Pre owned. clicky He's bought hundreds down the years, got some real bargains as things have been badly described as been much worse condition than they actually are. As for the undamaged stuff, personally I think Hattons is very expensive. I have bough hundreds off ebay and consider that the best place to buy online. Read the description carefully, look at the pictures, and if it doesn't live up to the sellers description, it's easy to get all your money back. Probably had to do that once every 40 odd models, but whats most importantly, I've never been left out of pocket. The last one was a real toxic seller who sold me a model described as brand new, also charged for next day delivery and took 8 days to send it. Ebay totally agreed with me about it being second hand and the postage being over priced and sent me a pre paid returns label and instantly refunded me everything as soon as it had arrived back. That was by far the worst seller I've had in 24 years of buying on ebay!

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:40 pm

They aren't good at using their eyes. I bought a MK1 off them and the bogies were hacked around. This is the only secondhand item from that that had a problem, I've had duds from them new including damaged in box items.

The only thing I don't like is they will only refund you £4 in postage on returns; some diesels are heavy and you can't send these back for £4. Mercifully I haven't lost on this but I bet others have.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:58 pm

I`ve had no nasty experiences with Hattons pre owned.I have bought three Wrenn Spamcans & two Wrenn Royal scots + a damaged Dublo EMU driving car with a faulty armature which i knew about as i messaged them.The only cause i had to complain about was a very expensive Spamcan sliding about in its box,the outer box was packaged well but no packing around the loco,Luckily,no damage to the paint finish.They did apologise & now,i ask them to pack the locos securely.

Ray.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 pm

My only experience of Hatton's pre-owned was when my son bought me a Bachmann V2 for my birthday a couple of years ago.

After one slightly "jerky" circuit I could smell the motor burning out (or already burnt out). So it had to go back.

There was no problem in his getting a refund of postage.

The trouble is that the seller to Hattons knows what they are getting rid of, and I am surprised that Hattons were not more savvy when accepting an obviously clapped-out loco. A simple test on the track in their shop would have revealed the give-away smell.

Personally I stay clear of second-hand stuff - you just don't know where it's been! (I do accept of course that not all such purchases turn out to be rotten apples.)

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Writing from the USA. My general experience with Hattons has been excellent. My experience with Hattons wrt Previously Owned has likewise been excellent. For a recent Previously Owned locomotive, I wrote to Hattons with specific questions which they answered promptly and accurately. Bought loco and am quite satisfied. I believe they do their best but if they have been deceived by the seller and something hidden shows up, I'm confident they will make it right.

On a slightly different topic. After purchasing a bunch of stuff on the recent "Sale of the Millenium," I have the impression looking now at their site ( and other major on-line shops) that there has been a significant jump in basic prices!! I.m wondering if Sterling 15 for a Bachmann rtr wagon with Hornby prices following closely is a "sign of things to come." In the USA at least, our on-again/off-again trade disputes with China are going to result in much higher tariff / import duties on China-made hobby supplies. Couldn't begin to speculate on whatever form Brexit might take would impact UK hobby market.

So, at this point, I'm becoming a bigger fan of Previously Owned than in the past.

George
North Carolina

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 pm

My experience with their pre-owned sales is all positive. I have been steadily purchasing a few items that are really useful for me, when they appear marked down in price because either there is no box or a damaged/incorrect box, (I don't run boxes on my model railway!) or where they report the item itself is damaged in some way, or not running.

The good photos they put up tell me all I need to know about the exterior condition of the model, and I have not had a disappointment, but the reverse. The 'damage' is typically trivial, like a detached part that is easy to restore. Recently introduced loco productions sold as non-runners have been gems for the money. In 2018 bought three non-runners: one detached wire, two with decoder socket blanking plugs removed (one completely missing, the other one loose and rattling around in the tender).

I will be going back for more when the right pieces appear, marked down in price for 'defects'. Generally I find their regular pre-owned price top end for most items, the further quarter or so off the price for one with a defect feels more like it.

6C

Postby 6C » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Recently had a pre-owned ROD 2-8-0 - described as 'as new' - it is and looks to be unrun - so accurate description certainly.

I am also awaiting for spares - 'Class 9F 2-10-0 92166 in BR Black - Pre-owned - noisy runner - worn lining on smoke deflectors - imperfect box' - so will comment on this one when it arrives.

Look out for excellent non-runners is my advice - had an L1 and K3 from them - both described as 'poor and erratic runners' - removed the DCC chip and both were then superb runners....

It seems they have too much turnover of stock to perform exhaustive diagnostic testing - if it runs poorly they say so - even if the fix is simple.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input.

I might give Hattons another look, they are more expensive then ebay but if the returns is easier might be worth paying a little more.

My main worry is not wanting to get stuck with something thats more hassle then its worth and by the time i get it sorted I could have spent just as much on a new one. I don't trust my repair skills enough to take the risk on something that looks OK but is listed as a non runner, i do enjoy reading about how others manage it however.

According to Hattons website they offer a 6-month warranty on all products (including pre-owned items) as standard which is reassuring

Chops

Postby Chops » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:51 am

I've had good luck with them!
Nessie rocks!

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 am

They're pretty good at answering questions too. I've asked specific questions and bought on the answer being what I expected, and not been disappointed with the item on delivery. I did buy one described as a good runner which very definitely wasn't and got a full refund on return.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:24 am

You do have to put up with the odd frustration. There's currently an item with minor cosmetic damage that I would like to purchase (It will be heavily weathered on the visibly affected area easily seen in the photos so that's no problem). BUT, a previous owner has fitted sound - which works intermittently - so the price includes an element for the poor sound fit which I wouldn't want even if working perfectly! I am going to watch this one and hope that it hangs around unsold until the price collapses properly.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:32 pm

Internationally, I avoid.

Different if resident in the UK, but from AU airmail return costs are prohibitive & are not covered under (Hattons) return T&C.

Price of most described "as new" in the case of wagons or coaches is too high for second hand. e.g. Bachmann brake van £15, now plus GST as well as inflated Int postage.

Risk. If not described "as new", then it's buying a pig in a poke. Photos don't show up cosmetic faults adequately, or other than non-runner, any indication of material or mech flaw. A case of caveat emptor. Hornby and Bach spares are nowhere near as available locally here as from the plethoria of UK sources rendering it expensive & difficult to impossible to source what's needed to fix cosmetic issues of missing bits, broken bits if they can't be easily fabricated and finished, and a PITA where they can.

Unless sweating the site 24/7 for bargain take a punt listings where the good has to be taken with the bad or something not really wanted. i.e. train pack with a dodgy (T9) loco to get the coaches, the prices are too high for second hand exacerbated by as per paragraph two.

Sure, one can have an occasional win, (people tend not to boast about their losses) but to me I don't like the high disatisfaction odds when no viable easy, affordable, quick no argument return option exists, so I avoid second hand. Life's too short for dealing with the aggravation involved in the maybe saving a few pennies, or maybe ending up with a packet of grief.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:36 pm

What you need is somebody here in the UK who can receive the items for you to check and then post on to you. I take it it's just businesses that are subject to GST, or does it cover person to person items too?

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 pm

No. Now, thanks to our never elected back stabbing ex-PM - since disposed of the same way by an equally traitorous party collegue, AU GST is currently levied on all goods & services (which of course includes P&P as a service in the total) irrespective of value. It applies to personal or private individual transactions, and is exacted at the point of sale by the business on behalf of the AU government. There is a minimum sales volume requirement set for the offshore business prerequisite to comply, but Hattons have to, or not sell into AU. Unlike in the UK VAT instance, books aren't exempt from AU GST either.

I take on board your point, but it does involve lot of rigamarole and either a very good friend or accomodating relative in trying to bypass it if not using a professional remailing service, an additional expense. One of the former benefits, and which accompanies buying new still, is amortisation of the cost of postage over multiple items within any shipment, and which of course was previously further offset with the reduction in price by UK VAT on the item offsetting the international postage impost and risk of return occasionally exercised costs. Buying second hand opportunistically tends to single item purchases which doesn't amortise postage on a deal additionally impacted by GST on both. Couple in return risk costs and rigamarole perpetually pushes my caveat emptor "no sale" button.

With the observed age of a majority of currently active railway modellers, there must be considerable volume of ill health and deceased estate disposal sales which Hattons can facilitate. I know that when that time comes for me, there'll be many mint pre-loved bargains to be had. I just wish my wife should she survive me, had such a convenient means to sell my subsequent surplus to requirement collection locally. Potentially win-win-win selling, dealing, or buying Hattons preowned from within the UK.

I think it's is advantageous for those of you in the UK who can take advantage of it as buyers without the same concerns for return if necessary. Just not an attractive proposition from here.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”