How Did You Start In Model Railways.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
luckymucklebackit

Re: How Did You Start In Model Railways.

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am

Mountain wrote:Space... It can be fun to make things in a smaller space. It all depends on what one needs out of a model railway.

Freezers Second Law! - A layout can be too big! C.J. fairly accurately estimated that the maximum size of layout that can be built, operated and maintained by one individual as about 24ft by 12ft. I can endorse that, as one of my previous incarnations of Gateside and Northbridge was to be built in a loft that was a generous 25ft by 10ft, it never got completed as it was just too large to cope with!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Mountain wrote:Space... It can be fun to make things in a smaller space. It all depends on what one needs out of a model railway.

Freezers Second Law! - A layout can be too big! C.J. fairly accurately estimated that the maximum size of layout that can be built, operated and maintained by one individual as about 24ft by 12ft. I can endorse that, as one of my previous incarnations of Gateside and Northbridge was to be built in a loft that was a generous 25ft by 10ft, it never got completed as it was just too large to cope with!

Sounds about right, I've got ca. 10ft x 3ft (305cm x 90cm to be precise) + a small shelf jutting off it, which is quite a lot of space in N gauge, though not quite enough for what I really want to do, but it will suffice. I have previously considered, on the basis of the experience to date, what my ideal layout size would be, if space/time was not an issue, and something about twice the area in an L-shape would be the most I'd really want - probably about the maximum size which would be comfortable to view from a central position, and about as much as I could build and maintain without spending all my time cleaning the track.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:14 pm

Dublo wrote:An observation here gentlemen we all seem to have to many locomotives and stock. Or is it that our layouts are just not big enough.

I suspect that's not true. :D :D Given 100' by 100' and as many points as I could use, I calculate it would take a few months to be back into a too much stock situation! Maybe that's a character flaw on my part.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:10 pm

I ended up with too much in 00 gauge as I tried to have at least one example of the rarer locos or rolling stock seen in my area and time period and for the more popular examples seen on the prototype I wanted a few examples. If thw exact class wasn't available then an item from a class which looked similar was substituted. For example, as several classes of DMU were seen passing on the prototype which all looked similar to the untrained eye, I purchased several different classes of DMU in model form which looked the part. In this way I had purchased a Hornby class 110 which was not seen down here, but had the frontal shape similar to a DMU class that I did see in these parts on occasions (Which are still not yet availablein RTR form though I did see one as a kit).
By doing the above (And having a good income at the time) I had amassed quite a collection of models. I was then faced with the issue of where to run them. I have started to build three garden railways but each time they were abandoned before they were completed due to unforseen circumstances. The plan was that the garden offered the space available to run my collection.

In more recent years common sense has prevailed, especially as with todays new prices I was not in a financial position to fill the few gaps I had in my collection. With no income at times and limited income at other times scratchbuilding and kit building in 7mm narrow gauge came to the rescue. I have abandoned the origional plan in 00 gauge. I actually found so much time was taken to clean and test each loco to ensure they were kept in good condition even before I had anywhere to run the things that it dawned on me what a task it would be to maintain the things if I did have somewhere to run them! I therefore am slowly selling them as I need the funds for other projects.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:50 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:C.J. fairly accurately estimated that the maximum size of layout that can be built, operated and maintained by one individual as about 24ft by 12ft.

If I had 24' x 12' I wouldn't fill it with track but instead I'd fulfil a long-held ambition of mine which would be to build a really large townscape with the railway running through it (as opposed to lots of railway with a bit of scenery round the edges). Can't see it happening any time soon. :(

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Why not get a Brian Sheriff backscene? It can give a similar effect. They now seem to be sold by http://www.freestonemodel.co.uk as far as I can gather. They are beautiful backscenes which are full of character. Click on the part labelled "Townscene".

I have just been enjoying myself looking at the Freestone website. Well worth a look.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:16 pm

CJF had a plan for how to go about building a layout that size. He said put down the track for one station/yard/whatever and lay the loop(s) all the way round, but not pinned down too tightly. Ballast your station area, and put in the beginnings of some scenery, platforms road surfaces etc. then move on to another section, splitting the loop and putting in the points. Once you've ballasted that bit go back to your first area and do a bit more to the scenery. That way you don't have a mountainous monotonous task to do at any stage, and you can see something running most of the time.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Bufferstop wrote:CJF had a plan for how to go about building a layout that size. He said put down the track for one station/yard/whatever and lay the loop(s) all the way round, but not pinned down too tightly. Ballast your station area, and put in the beginnings of some scenery, platforms road surfaces etc. then move on to another section, splitting the loop and putting in the points. Once you've ballasted that bit go back to your first area and do a bit more to the scenery. That way you don't have a mountainous monotonous task to do at any stage, and you can see something running most of the time.

That's actually not too far off how I'm making my layout now. Bit by bit while the trains run. Well obviously they're not running while I work on the baseboard, but the scenery is detachable so I can work on it in the comfort of my own workbench. And none of the track is fixed in place at all.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 pm

It is true that running trains enspires you to do more. At the moment my layout is approaching an order where I can't wire it yet as my control panel needs to be built, and I can't do the panel until I sort the back scenes, and I can't sort the back scenes until I drill a few more holes and cut some small areas of the board, and then make some wood blocks to mount in just the right places so the back scenes will fix to them. My back scenes are best made removable. So I'd better get on with things so I can watch the trains go! Umm. Then comes making various tweaks to the track as though things run well when I push them, running on their own power is another thing.

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:43 am

I had a small oval of track with a spur and 2 x 0-6-0 shunters and some rolling stock, when I was just a lad. It was assembled when it was a rainy day in the school holidays, and I had to pack it up when the dinner table was to be laid. The locos were destroyed by my neanderthal, knuckle dragging, entitled cousin, and that was the end of that!

Several decades later I suffered a catastrophic relationship failure, and the psychologist recommended I "take up a hobby I enjoyed". I thought long and hard about it, "what was I interested in?" Motor cycles (I bought one), Fishing (I already had rods & tackle), Music (I was a part-time sound tech at that time), ....................... trains!!! Model Trains! Yeah!! "I'd like to play trains!!!"

And that is what I did :wink:

One more catastrophic relationship failure, where her demonised kids totally ruined my layout with my own spray paint and my hammer, I eventually started my layout, recuperating from my surgery. It's been a welcome (however somewhat expensive) distraction from the medical dramas I've had to endure.
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

I had no interest until I was 8, then one day a mate brought the 1980 Hornby catalogue into school and I was hooked . The next year I received a Airfix 4F for my birthday , which was followed at Christmas by a rack of wagons , a H&M clipper controller (still in use) and a small loop of radius 1 track nailed to a 4ft by 3ft board. There was never any points. although there was a small Superquick town in the middle of the loop with a high street full of badly repainted Lesney cars. More stock was bought and work started on a larger board and a proper branch line terminus.
That was a far as it went , because I became interested in music and girls and the Railway Modeller was swopped for the NME.
I came back to the hobby 10 years ago, although I have just had 6 months off after a pretty difficult time which robbed me of any interest in doing any thing at all. However I'm now back and continuing to enjoy the hobby and bulding my layout at a snail's pace.
Ken

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Phat Controller wrote:I had a small oval of track with a spur and 2 x 0-6-0 shunters and some rolling stock, when I was just a lad. It was assembled when it was a rainy day in the school holidays, and I had to pack it up when the dinner table was to be laid. The locos were destroyed by my neanderthal, knuckle dragging, entitled cousin, and that was the end of that!

Several decades later I suffered a catastrophic relationship failure, and the psychologist recommended I "take up a hobby I enjoyed". I thought long and hard about it, "what was I interested in?" Motor cycles (I bought one), Fishing (I already had rods & tackle), Music (I was a part-time sound tech at that time), ....................... trains!!! Model Trains! Yeah!! "I'd like to play trains!!!"

And that is what I did :wink:

One more catastrophic relationship failure, where her demonised kids totally ruined my layout with my own spray paint and my hammer, I eventually started my layout, recuperating from my surgery. It's been a welcome (however somewhat expensive) distraction from the medical dramas I've had to endure.

Lets hope you don't have to endure any more dramas and have the peace to enjoy your trains.
Ken Shabby wrote:I had no interest until I was 8, then one day a mate brought the 1980 Hornby catalogue into school and I was hooked . The next year I received a Airfix 4F for my birthday , which was followed at Christmas by a rack of wagons , a H&M clipper controller (still in use) and a small loop of radius 1 track nailed to a 4ft by 3ft board. There was never any points. although there was a small Superquick town in the middle of the loop with a high street full of badly repainted Lesney cars. More stock was bought and work started on a larger board and a proper branch line terminus.
That was a far as it went , because I became interested in music and girls and the Railway Modeller was swopped for the NME.
I came back to the hobby 10 years ago, although I have just had 6 months off after a pretty difficult time which robbed me of any interest in doing any thing at all. However I'm now back and continuing to enjoy the hobby and bulding my layout at a snail's pace.
Ken

Snails pace is fast enough. You should see how quickly those snails can move if the want to! :D I find I feel at a loose end without my trains, even though I may not do much with them for a month or two. Yet the rare odd day or two away that I've had in the past, or the times I've not had access to my trains (E.g. trains packed away when moving house or expecting to move house) seem to be the very times when the urge to do some modelling begins.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 pm

I started with an O gauge clockwork set when I was about seven, by the age of ten I became a fanatical transpotter even playing the wag from school so I could get to our trainline, I got my first Hornby Dubllo train set aged 12 that was 63 years ago, at the age of about eighteen I found that girls were more fun than trains became a Husband and Dad at twenty three then built my first real layout at twenty five, I have been in and out of the hobby all my life but never lost interest in railways and can never remember not having a decent collection of railway books.
Over the years I have built N, HO and OO gauge layouts including American, British, Australian and Japanese, I retired in 2004 spent a small fortune on the hobby then over the past three years decided to pull my head in and continue modelling on a small budget, I now have many 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 locomotives all DCC which suits my purpose of being a fan of small engines and short trains, the rest is history.
Regards
Nobby

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:40 pm

If only my memory went back that far??? Where i lived in Sidcup our parents with my 2 sisters lived downstairs whilst my grandmother and i were upstairs.THe kitchen downstairs housed a New world range,coke boiler in an alcove ,stone sink with a wooden slatted draining board and on the side counter were a Myford ML7 lathe, pillar drill and double grinding wheel.MY father was building a 3 1/2inch model called Juliet a 0-4-0 tank using info from the model engineer book and plans.We had a quite large garden where a railway ,raised on concrete pillars went down on side ,across and up the other side until it was stopped by a Hornets nest in the middle of the track.Due to my interest the plans for a similar gauge *Canterbury Bell* was obtained and I began building my 1st loco.Frames and other parts were made mainly by me but with fathers help.Then girls were discovered and I must admit I lost interest in locos.It was never finished. On being retired at an early age (47) I decided to have a model railway in the loft.Its still having work to complete.I have made many 00 gauge locos EMU,s both from kits scratch built and *adapting*bought kits into a variation of something mainly applied to EMU<s I'm afraid injuries do hamper me somewhat and it aint getting better but with the wife watching *soaps* I go to Margate ,Dover or Ramsgate from Victoria,Cannon Street or Charing Cross or watch the freight locos at Hither Green with its J50,s 8F,s black 5,s C class and many others.All the best Ron

rb277170

Re: How Did You Start In Model Railways

Postby rb277170 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 pm

Christmas 1965 . A Tri-ang Freightmaster trainset with Brush Type 2 (class 31) and 7 trucks . My Gran and papa, obviously alerted by Santa, bought two Pullman’s and my Aunt and Uncle bought a town station. On reflection there must have been more track and I did have a working TPO sidings and Engine Shed. Instant layout set up on dining room table. It was magical. That’s where it started . It had to be packed up after Christmas , but reappeared as I was recuperating having had my tonsils out . A black Jinty also appeared , then Christmas 66 a blue Tri-ang Hornby AL1 because it looked like the Blue Class 303s then appearing on the newly electrified south Glasgow lines!

Models appeared every Christmas. A 6*4 train layout was replaced by 8*4 when the Hornby Track Plans book edition 3 appeared in 75.a lot of inspiring ideas for layouts. Lots of time was spent constantly looking at Hornby catalogues and dreaming of the ultimate layout. Sadly the recent catalogues although very professional, lack the same excitement now .

I still have all the models and they are cherished , mainly because of memories of who gave them to me , who are sadly no longer with us. That’s why I still like running my old Hornby 9F even though I’ve got a later more detailed Bachmann one that I bought myself. I should actually sell the Bachmann one as it’s hardly ever on the layout. Trains never left me and they took me through exams, times of joy and times of sadness . I built a loft layout in “the new house” 25 years ago! I actually can’t remember the dimensions now but it must be about 18ft by 12. I had resisted going the full size of the loft and as others have said that’s probably large enough to be manageable . These days there’s nothing more relaxing than going up the loft for an hour or two and watching the trains go round . I’ve been embarking on a program of buying locos I always wanted as a boy but could never afford/expect my family to give me . So Wrenn locos have been appearing as well as filling in gaps from the Triang range. So I now run everything from the initial Brush Type 2 to the latest J36, with Voyagers, sprinters and everything in between. Saturation point really .

A great hobby and love hearing how others got started

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”