How Did You Start In Model Railways.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

How Did You Start In Model Railways.

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:15 pm

I can hardly remember not enjoying the hobby from some of my earliest memories onwards. I remember my dad bringing out his Hornby Dublo 3 rail set which I now have. I remember when I was in my pram seeing a Western diesel come into our local station. I can't have been older then a year and a half according to my mum as after this she had a pushchair instead. The pram needed to go in the guards van, hence we were right at the end of the platform. (The pushchair was more flexible. Also to see a Western it has to be in the early 1970's so is quite an early memory for me).
Then I had red plastic track and push along trains and also a battery train for it bought from the CO-OP.
Then I ventured into electric trains at the age of five or six and the rest is history!

Bufferstop

Re: How Did You Start In Model Railways.

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Started with Hornby 0 gauge, progressed to Dublo three rail at the age of nine. Swapped the 6x4 for a straightened out line around three walls of my bedroom (God bless the old Parker Morris housing standards) That kept me busy until Triang introduced TT3. What a shock two rail was, the old three rail locos, all die-cast with six wheels plus sliding pick up shoes just worked. Getting anything similar out of two rail with non plated wheels on galvanised steel rail was hard work. My next move let me in for even more hard work, making 009 work, at all.
A contract with a company introducing vehicle building to South Africa forced a break for a few years,. After returning to the UK getting married and gaining a son, it was back to 00, by this time Triang had bought HORNBY's name and fortunately given up fitting steamroller wheels. Several layouts later I finally cracked it, a dedicated space within the house no more lofts for me.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm

For me it was through my dad. I come from a bit of a railway family on both sides (dad did his apprenticeship at Derby works, and a lot of mum's family worked at Trent station), so have been brought up with trips to railway events and railway-themed holidays abroad all my life.
My dad is heavily into American 3-rail 0 gauge (Lionel), and had built an exhibition layout in our loft, which would go out to a couple of shows a year. Eventually he built a 20'x20' building in the garden, migrated there, and I inherited the loft, where a large 00-gauge layout developed, helped by a few Christmases and birthdays worth of presents. Eventually, teenagerhood appeared and I learned about computers, so the layout languished then, but only four or five years later, I rediscovered my interest, started buying stock again, joined a local railway club, and 10 years later here I am!
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:03 pm

There were several model railways in our family when I was small. My Grandad had a TT layout in his shed (which he later changed to 00), an Uncle had a large 00 system in his garage and it seemed like every male family member we visited had a train set of some sort knocking about, so I guess it was only a matter of time before I had my own layout. It was a terminus - fiddleyard set-up which ran round three walls of my bedroom. The original stock came from another uncle who had emigrated to Australia and was an assortment of old Triang rolling stock and a 'Princess Elizabeth' 4-6-2. There was also an American outline 2-8-2 which ran like a dream (I think it may have been Fleishmann). Where this came from I have no idea. I added to the stock as time went by, and I still distinctly remember buying my first loco with saved up pocket money - a Hornby Pannier Tank, brand new for £5.00! The layout developed over a few years until the usual teenage interests took over and the railway was dismantled. When I got the railway bug back I had nowhere to construct a layout so had to content myself with reading the mags, going to exhibitions and dreaming. I have now finally got a (small) space to build another layout and I am loving every minute of it.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:46 am

Hello
Ever since I can remember I've always had a railway of some description. My father had a passing interest in trains, he encouraged me. Indeed he was a ten quid Aussie who worked on New South Wales railways as a coach builder, obviously he returned home.

My earliest locomotive was a clockwork Playcraft 0-4-0 which looked continental in origin but had the British Railways logo on the tanks. A collection of freight stock also went along with it. I can remember playing with this Sunday afternoons on the living room floor initially. My bedroom floor later. Inevitably one dreadful day the spring broke, sadly my parents casually put it in the bin. I have since found another one at the Car Boot which occasionally has a spirited run round the layout.

The next chapter begins when I was seven or eight when on Christmas morning I opened up a Triang Hornby Princess Elizabeth and another box contained a Jinty. Both of these locomotives were fitted with Syncrosmoke the princess made authentic chuff, chuff noises. Well that's what the box said. Initially these two locomotives travelled around various floor layouts. My Dad took me up to the exhibition at the Horticultural Hall one year and from there he made me a baseboard which folded up against my bedroom wall. It didn't spend much time against the wall.

As a teenager I met a couple of other modellers and we built a few layouts together.
I was around twenty when I discovered Hornby Dublo and was immediately hooked. As the collection grew I made a 8 x 4 layout in three sections which was shown a couple of times at local events. This was dismantled and everything was packed away until this time last year when I was able to make a start on my current layout. I am finally producing the layout that I dreamt of.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Mountain wrote:I can hardly remember not enjoying the hobby from some of my earliest memories onwards. I remember my dad bringing out his Hornby Dublo 3 rail set which I now have. I remember when I was in my pram seeing a Western diesel come into our local station. I can't have been older then a year and a half according to my mum as after this she had a pushchair instead. The pram needed to go in the guards van, hence we were right at the end of the platform. (The pushchair was more flexible. Also to see a Western it has to be in the early 1970's so is quite an early memory for me).
Then I had red plastic track and push along trains and also a battery train for it bought from the CO-OP.
Then I ventured into electric trains at the age of five or six and the rest is history!

To add to that, I first started in 00 gauge and ended up with a mix of GWR, B.R. green and B.R. blue along with an LNER J72... Then I put some for sale to concentrate on GWR. I ended up with mostly GWR and a few B.R. blue items. I'm my late teens I put the whole lot for sale and sold anything left in B.R. green and nearly all my GWR. The B.R. blue hardly sold so I decided to collect that as it was cheap at the time and various Lima diesels were exciting.... They made many different numbers of the same class. Plenty to keep me going. I also had at the age of around nine been given my dads old Hornsby Dublo 3 rail collection.
I collected B.R. blue for some time but just before I tried a few other avenues. I tried briefly SM32 and 0-16.5. As I wanted to keep 00 gauge, funds didn't stretch to SM32 as well so I didn't go further. The brief venture back then into 0-16.5 was with an idea of a cheap and cheerful garden railway. However, I then had plans for a 00 gauge garden railway instead (Which wasn't finished as weeds grow quicker then my actual work (Daydreaming does not clear weeds!)).
Then I had my own house for a few years and the indoor layout was taken up with the view to use the whole upstairs of my house for trains. Also a large outdoor line was in construction. I also bought a H0 monorail and Called car system, along with quite a quantity of H0e (£500 pounds worth... New locos and mostly secondhand waggons as a mix of new and secondhand coaches. New coaches cost £37.95 each when the new Bachmann Mk1's were £17.95! One H0e loco cost me more then a Bachmann sound equipped DCC class 37 cost me when they were new out).
However quitting a decent job meant I then needed to sell the house. All 00 gauge has been in storage since. H0e was given to a friend. I found I could model in 0-16.5 with hardly spending any cash and it had such character so I went for it. Initially it was to use up the odd spare 00 gauge scrappy stuff. However things quickly progressed. The idea to head for 0-16.5 had first come in one of those one off buys. A Small brook Studio Clio kit... Just because I liked the look of it!
I now have a collection of 00 which I am slowly selling as I don't need it and can't really see me going back to 00. (Just having too much fun in 0-16.5... :D ). I may one day sell the 3-rail as well, but concentrating on selling my 00 first. Over half of my 00 collection has hardly been used other then a test to convert them to DCC as I didn't have a layout to run the things when I bought them. I converted to DCC at the tail end of the year 2000 onwards. However I missed DC so when I decided to go into 0-16.5 I decided to go for a simple life and use DC.
I have learnt that the spare time to model with and space etc. One gauge and scale is enough to concentrate on at a time!

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:19 pm

At 3 or so I was given an old 0 gauge clockwork set. two 0-4-0T locos, one LMS, the other LNER, both identical boxes on wheels, plus some rolling stock and a few points. I must have looked after it as at 5yr 6 months Father Xmas brought me an Hornby-Dublo Duchess of Montrose with a couple of Blood and Custard coaches and a short goods train of stock. Apparently Dad had hours of fun in November and December after laying the track on two put away boards [which bolted together when in use] 'testing' the layout until Mam made him put it away until Xmas. That layout grew as I invested pocket money and other income in additional stock and a 4MT tank loco.

That lasted in use until girls became of interest. Mam scrapped it all without asking me if I wanted to keep it.

After marrying in 1973 I had no room for OO so bought into the then relatively new N gauge. Several layouts followed then divorce saw me sell up. After remarrying some years later I returned to N gauge and after building a portable layout scrapped after a house move I now have a permanent N gauge layout and far more stock than I'll ever use.

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:02 pm

OO clockwork trainset (probably Hornby) when I was 3, and an actual Lima HO trainset complete with track nailed to a board when I was 4 (still have most of the stock from that). Drifted away in my teens, and fell into N gauge accidentally a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I too have far more stock than I'll ever use...

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:44 pm

At the age of two and three quarters, for Christmas, I received a Hornby clockwork goods train set. The engine was red. About eighteen months later my uncle bought me a point, some straight pieces of track and a green clockwork engine. I was in seventh heaven as I played with the engines on the living room carpet.

My first electric train set was 'The Princess Elizabeth' in 00 gauge, complete with two coaches.
That lasted a number of years without any additions.

After a number of false starts in various gauges and house moves, I built a 00 gauge layout in the attic of the house we now live in.
Over time, running of trains became less frequent; then Lady G suggested a layout in the spare bedroom. Although it is the smallest bedroom in the house, 'bless her'. Now trains are running more frequent and fun has returned.
Yes! I have far too many engines now, (there was 'enough' when the layout was in the attic. :lol: ) but I like them so much and cannot part with them.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:50 pm

An observation here gentlemen we all seem to have to many locomotives and stock. Or is it that our layouts are just not big enough.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Dublo wrote:An observation here gentlemen we all seem to have to many locomotives and stock. Or is it that our layouts are just not big enough.

The room is too small. :( :lol:

Glencairn

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm

The room is too small. :( :lol:

Glencairn[/quote]

That's it when I was discussing the building of a layout with my wife, she asked me which of the two empty bedrooms I would prefer. I said the smaller 11'4" x 5'10" as it would be do-able. Now however. ........

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 pm

Dublo wrote:An observation here gentlemen we all seem to have to many locomotives and stock. Or is it that our layouts are just not big enough.

Freezers First Law - Every modeller has twice as many locomotives as he needs, and half as many as he would like!

Personally I have had four modelling "episodes"
Episode one - Age 5 and my first board was a square of chipboard with Hornby Dublo two rail stock and locomotives - 31337 and the plain green Co-Co Diesel that was loosely based on a deltic, this lasted until I was about nine when it had to be dismantled due to lack of space
Episode two - Aged 12 and a 6 x 4 board was provided with Peco Streamline track added to the Hornby and some Triang Hornby Super 4 (complete with "convertor tracks"). The old stock was brought out of storage and augmented by a M7 tank and some coaches, but when I was 17 the desire for an electric guitar resulted in the whole lot being sold, I was disillusioned by the incompatible track and couplings anyway.
Episode three - aged 25 and married with a loft, so a complete fresh start with the aforesaid guitars being sold to finance fresh track and stock, Gateside and Northbridge version 1 was built and much fun was had, however a divorce followed by a house move and the start of a family when I was 39 saw everything stored once again. There also was a period of Club membership and I helped build a couple of layouts for Cumbernauld Model Group
Episode four - With the kids a bit older, about ten years ago permission was given for the current version of Gateside and Northbridge to be started, and that brings me right up to date!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Dublo wrote:The room is too small. :( :lol:

Glencairn

That's it when I was discussing the building of a layout with my wife, she asked me which of the two empty bedrooms I would prefer. I said the smaller 11'4" x 5'10" as it would be do-able. Now however. ........[/quote]

Tut. Tut. :o :lol:

I know what you mean though.

How I wish I had a larger room. My option was the one room. No matter, I am grateful. :lol:

Glencairn

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Space... It can be fun to make things in a smaller space. It all depends on what one needs out of a model railway.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”