Decision time - the sale of the century

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

Decision time - the sale of the century

Post by GWR_fan »

With less than a week to go are the bargains really bargains or just another sale. Many of the items have been reduced in price for a long time prior the sale and yet stock numbers are seemingly constant, This reflects that either stock levels were very high and/or little buyer interest even at the bargain basement price. I doubt these prices will reduce further once the sale is over and yet one poor soul on another site is contemplating the disappointment should he purchase now only to see a lower price after the sale ends. I do lament though not taking advantage some years ago when new Bachmann 4-CEP were on sale for GBP69.00.

Of all the items listed very few attract my attention but then do I simply want them because they are relatively cheap or because I really need them? From Heljan the Metropolitan bo-bo, class 05 and class 128 are genuine discounts but I have several class 128 and am not a fan of little diesels (or steam locomotives) and while very, very nice what would I do with a Metro?

From Bachmann the class 30XX ROD are highly desirable at the price and nice runners and are actually the only items that I have purchased from the sale. Do I buy a spare as a replacement chassis for the future? From Hornby the Hall class is a bargain but as I already have a few do I really need another at any price? The D16/3 is another choice loco for the price and does have merit for me but do I really, really need it. I do not need a Radial no matter how inexpensive. The class 700 black motor is another possibility however the bargain price for the model I want is the same as it has been for the past year or two so hardly likely to reduce further.

As regards Oxford Rails, well even if half the current bargain price, I would possibly not even be swayed into buying any. The brand carries way too much baggage for me. Such a pity and a missed opportunity for the manufacturer not to have sorted out its assembly issues from the start.

Basically then decision time as past experience with the store has seen sales end followed by massive increases in the post sale prices. I do lament not buying more of the Hornby Western Pullman trainsets from about two years ago when suddenly the sale price of GBP125.00 jumped to GBP199.00 and not surprisingly stock is still available. I do though wonder how one can raise prices even though the item did not sell out when on sale. I understand that falling stock levels would cause a price increase however, it seems that many of the long time sale items still reflect more than ten items instock. If the items are slow sellers at the bargain price then little interest would be shown in the post sale price.

For those scrooges out there who think that the items will be listed even lower post sale then you are in for a disappointment. Other than the seemingly endless supply of Heljan class 128 DMU, I cannot recall a single item to have a lower price post sale than during the sale. Now I must scratch my head and decide what of my desirable items I really, really need (if any!!!!!!!). My thoughts are that many of the items will revert to the discounted price prior being listed in the sale or possibly for a few items with more than ten instock the price will remain at the sale price, although I highly doubt it.
Dragonfly

Re: Decision time - the sale of the century

Post by Dragonfly »

Agree with all of that.

A couple of things tempted me, including the D16 you mentioned (but, like yourself, I decided I didn't really need it).

The only thing that actually got purchased was the Golden Valley Janus in BP livery, a good half the original price. I'd hazard a guess that this livery has been nowhere near as good a seller as the others. In fact, mine won't stay in that livery very long, destined as it is for WD service.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I grabbed a few bits yesterday to complete part sets I got for presents while the prices are still good

The only other thing was some more of the SECR coaches from Bachman, not because they are good prices (~£50 a pop) but because I know they won’t be around for long having sold out at most places

It comes down to the price being one your happy with or not, worrying about a cheaper price next week may mean you miss out all together.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

I was hoping to get a few items, there was some stuff i did want that sold out, but my old landlord is being a See You Next Tuesday and hasn't returned my deposit nearly two months after we moved out, and so not only did me and the misses not have money to get ourselves anything nice for christmas (yes we were able to provide for the kiddiliwinks thankfully) and I wasn't able to buy any thing in the sale of the century. However, the wifey does say if we ever get the money back we might be able to buy one of those store bought baseboards from Offaly so we can run our 00 on a nice flat clean surface. There seems to be a thing where a brake or composite coach from a rake of coaches from Hornby is for sale at a reduced price, but the corresponding brake or composite coach for that rake is twice the price of the sale item.

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Alexander Court wrote:There seems to be a thing where a brake or composite coach from a rake of coaches from Hornby is for sale at a reduced price, but the corresponding brake or composite coach for that rake is twice the price of the sale item.

Alex.
Yes that caught me out as well :roll: I’ve had to order a preowned alternative that I hope fits in nicely instead of full RRP for the missing element
Hymirl

Post by Hymirl »

Regardless of the price its only a deal if you actually want it. Buying things because its a deal is not a money saver.

I picked up a few coaches that I fancied anyway but avoided padding the loco collection as its not like I'm doing much running at this time anyway. The hornby xmas loco has done more miles around the tree than everything else added together!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Hymirl wrote:Regardless of the price its only a deal if you actually want it.
Sounds like marriage. :lol:

For those of you who don't know who we are talking about. It's Hattons - https://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=375
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I succumbed to the beckoning wail of the sirens and purchased a Heljan Metropolitan livery bo-bo. I will never have "near enough" teak coaches for it to haul but will make do with what I have. A couple of other items are calling but I am trying to block my ears to the temptation. I do not need a Radial but they do look interesting in a quirky manner. If I purchase one it will definitely be from Hornby.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I have had both a Hornby and two Oxford ones. despite the under boiler issue of the Oxford one, it somehow looked more solid and less toy like than the Hornby version to me, and unsurprisingly doesn't leave parts behind in the box either! Running there's not much to choose between them, except the Hornby one will go a bit faster. So I would say go for the one that you find more attractive to you.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I feel the Oxford Radial tank is a good model, on the basis of just one I have 'fiddled with'. Looks like the protoype compared to what photos I had available, measured up well. If there are detail errors, they don't leap out at me, but I really do not know the class at all. It was very easy to eliminate the intrusion of the motor into the under boiler space by removing the flywheel from the drive line (and frankly it was far superior in this respect to such models as the Hornby 8F with a socking great casting garnished with a spinning shiny gear shaft end on view both sides so I feel there was a lot of dogpiling going on with respect to this flaw).

The well chosen 50:1 gear ratio allowed superior slow speed control from a basic DC controller, and a realistic maximum speed for the type. It had the usual trouble of a small model on a crowded chassis with wheels fore and aft of the drivers, that a dip in the track on the layout it was going to operate on could leave it without traction, but a little adjustment to vertical travel of bogie and truck fixed that. (I have built similarly small atlantic tanks from kits and they were a PITA to get right, this was a piece of cake by comparison.) With a competent DCC decoder fitted, performance was all one could ask for.

My full assessment of Oxford Rail waits the N7, much too late for this sale, more's the pity.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Alas, with the looming deadline drawing near and the temptation too great, I opted for a second Heljan Metropolitan/London Transport bo-bo and a Hornby late crest Radial. Both are quirky but appealing designs and purchased more out of interest than need.

Edit: In the final moments I also went for four BR horseboxes.