Trouble at 't mill

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: Trouble at 't mill

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Not this time there was too much to be done but we managed the first night at the Okapuko Ranch. In a brand new lodge half way up the mountain side, cuningly built so that its balcony looked straight down into the reserve, springbok annf warthogs for company at breakfast. The rest of the week it was a safari just negotiating the road back into town. Bit of a disappointment for me the "Old Coffee House" where I could sit on the stoep watching the comings and goings by on the road and the tracks had morphed into an all day bar. A lot of the wood carvers had decamped to the other end of town, to be nearer the by pass traffic. Being able to wander the paths around the reserve all day was a great experience. Had my own pet lizzard that followed me around most of the time which was novel. I think it lived in the hut that hid the pumps for the pool.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Africat was the other highlight for us!.
Ray.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:24 pm

I think this thread may well be the late but winning entry for 'most drift in the fewest posts' in 2018!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 am

Bigmet wrote:I think this thread may well be the late but winning entry for 'most drift in the fewest posts' in 2018!

Clever moderation by Bufferstop, don't lock a contentious thread, just steer the subject as far away from the OP as possible without anyone noticing :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Would I?................

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 pm

Sorry about that,it`s just that i`ve rarely met anybody who`s been to Namibia.Mention Namibia & i get blank looks :)

Ray.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:09 am

I'll remember that bufferstop.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:33 am

windcutter9f wrote:Sorry about that,it`s just that i`ve rarely met anybody who`s been to Namibia. Mention Namibia & i get blank looks.

Drive North from Joburg, turn left after Harare and there you are - allowing for the traversing of 'miles and miles of bloody africa' - as first seen by me in a game lodge on a 1910 map. What's this MMBA dotted all over the map? I innocently asked. So there's three of us on this thread who have been to Namibia...

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:51 am

Bigmet wrote:
windcutter9f wrote:Sorry about that,it`s just that i`ve rarely met anybody who`s been to Namibia. Mention Namibia & i get blank looks.

Drive North from Joburg, turn left after Harare and there you are - allowing for the traversing of 'miles and miles of bloody africa' - as first seen by me in a game lodge on a 1910 map. What's this MMBA dotted all over the map? I innocently asked. So there's three of us on this thread who have been to Namibia...

:) :) :) :) :)

ray.

patrick116

Postby patrick116 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:42 pm

Bigmet wrote:Whatever the dispute is, it is between Bachmann and Hattons and strictly their own business.

With Hattons offering their own model productions on wholesale terms to other retailers and also pursuing an aggressive discount policy, while Bachmann are attempting to cultivate some price maintenance, there is scope enough for disagreement.

I wonder if Bachmann's dealer supply & pricing terms are actually legal in the UK as they would appear to be a breach of The Resale Price Act 1976.

It seems to me that Bachmann (Kadar) HQ are trying to use a USA business model in a very different UK market with very different legal systems.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:12 pm

I doubt that a company of their size would make such a basic error.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Bachmann need to take a long hard look at what happened at Hornby and the utter mess they got themsleves into before they realised they got rid of one of thier biggest assets, in the form of Mr Kohler in 2017.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I think you will find Bachmann do actually know what they are doing despite what is written on here

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:49 pm

You are probably right, but they wouldn't be the first major UK manufacturer not to spot the obvious when almost everyone else did.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”