Trouble at 't mill

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
D605Eagle

Trouble at 't mill

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:43 am

I keep seeing snippets on faceache about an impending court battle between Hattons and Bachmann? Is this silly social media fake news or is something really going on?

GWR_fan

Re: Trouble at 't mill

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:50 am

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Hattons must be Bachmann's largest outlet in the UK. Perhaps in this day of limited production runs the sales from the store are irrelevant.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:05 am

I've just had a nosy on rmweb. It seems that people have not been getting their preorders for Bachmann locos and Hattons are keeping tight lipped about it. However Hattons have plenty of the H2 Atlantics in which were only released a week or two ago? so who knows what is going on!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:22 am

I wonder how many of the pre-orders on the SR Atlantic have gone to shops already with stock. Beachy Head has been released for sometime now, most likely prior the current "dispute".

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 am

There are plenty of alternative manufacturers and retailers. If there is some dispute going on, leave them to sort it out.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Could Bachmanns' (temporary) reduction in production capacity be behind it.?

{ Yes it is me, sitting in a coffee shop in Okahanjia, save you looking it up it's in the middle of Namibia where the railway tracks ( rails 3'6'' apart) split to go north and west. Been here four days not spotted a train yet!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:08 pm

I would suspect Hattons were promised they would get a certain number of models and got only a fraction of that leaving them unable to fulfil orders.

This could get very messy and possibly the worst case scenario would be Hattons ends up not selling Bachmann products.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:53 pm

That would be cutting your nose off to spite your face, cos of big B can't get enough of
'em made Hatton's will run into capacity problems if they try to source their own productions. It seems that in China's communist version of capitalism contracts and leases don't figure as very secure.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:31 am

Bufferstop wrote:Could Bachmanns' (temporary) reduction in production capacity be behind it?...

Doubt it, other outlets have supplies. It sounds to me like a little head butting, most likely over pricing. Never forget Bachmann are under pressure from Kader HQ to match profit with equivalent HO and N in their other markets.

Bufferstop wrote:...sitting in a coffee shop in Okahanjia, save you looking it up it's in the middle of Namibia where the railway tracks ( rails 3'6'' apart) split to go north and west. Been here four days not spotted a train yet!

Never mind trains, just watch the wildlife! Truly outstanding in the wilds of Southern Africa, still locations where it appears 'the hand of man has never set foot'. 8) Loved it.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Seems they have the Atlantics now. Yesterday they were selling the early BR livery version for 28% off, which I believe flies in the face of Bachmann's limited discounting rules (not sure how legal they are anyway!). It's almost like one party is baiting the other?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Seems they have the Atlantics now. Yesterday they were selling the early BR livery version for 28% off, which I believe flies in the face of Bachmann's limited discounting rules (not sure how legal they are anyway!). It's almost like one party is baiting the other?

The store has had the BR version for sometime, it is the Southern version affected and not available due the "trouble". There will most likely be a few disgruntled pre-order customers who do not look elsewhere for the SR version. Better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/66525/Bachman ... etail.aspx

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Umm. What's it all about? Is rather unusual.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 am

Whatever the dispute is, it is between Bachmann and Hattons and strictly their own business.

With Hattons offering their own model productions on wholesale terms to other retailers and also pursuing an aggressive discount policy, while Bachmann are attempting to cultivate some price maintenance, there is scope enough for disagreement.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 pm

@Bigmet - Getting in lots of wildlife spotting, we're staying on a game reserve, and I'm driving Mrs W the 25k into town each day to the education development institute. She reckons the wild life along the road and at the reserve is the antidote to the chaos which seems to be their normal mode of operation. Up to now there's been a pair of passenger coaches parked in one of the loops since we arrived at the weekend, and a "Pick 'n Pay" carrier bag caught on the end of a point blade next to the road crossing, me thinks the only thing that passes along the. line these days is the rake of tankers that are stabled out at the airport.

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:04 am

Bufferstop wrote:Could Bachmanns' (temporary) reduction in production capacity be behind it.?

{ Yes it is me, sitting in a coffee shop in Okahanjia, save you looking it up it's in the middle of Namibia where the railway tracks ( rails 3'6'' apart) split to go north and west. Been here four days not spotted a train yet!

Been to the woodcraft market yet? :) Best holiday we ever had,up to the Etosha & across Namibia finishing in Swakopmund.

Ray.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”