Future Concepts and Traditions.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
dubdee1000

Re: Future Concepts and Traditions.

Postby dubdee1000 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:47 am

Interesting. What may explain some of the things you describe is the feeling you get of buying something new. You part with the cash, along comes the train and your brain gets a little dose of dopamine. And it feels good. Until it fades

Trouble is with dopamine is that it's addictive. You will want more. It's the same compound that all addicts enjoy the feeling of.

I guess those of you who've curtailed your spending have perhaps realised that the short term pleasure of a new loco purchase isn't really very helpful in the longer term. Interesting isn't it? Seems to be reflective of the times we're in - instant gratification

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 am

Model railways are much less 'fun' than they once were. The old triang toys were before my time but the battlespace stuff with exploding wagons, launching rockets and helicopters is fun... no its not prototypical but that wasn't the point. Same as giraffes ducking under bridges... the only product vaguely similar now is the odd 'working' mailcoach.

One of the things that I though the Great Model Railway Challenge did well was to push the modellers to add fun and animations to layouts.

At this point the hobby concentrates on the 'grey pound' ie, older collectors with funds to buy very detailed and often limited edition models. And while thats a valid business plan for now its not one that gets new hobbyists. And you can't blame computers and internet as youtube and blogs add as much as they take away. And young people still like modelling: walk past and Games Workshop this December and they're mostly busy.

But if you compare the quality of a games workshop tank kit to a Dapol loco kit and there is a generational technology gap. Why aren't there modern well moulded railway kits?

Anyway. Thats what I think. :)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:43 am

I pretty much agree with all these sentiments. A new loco gives you a hit for a week or two and then it sits on the layout not doing much, along with all the others. I get as much, or more, fun from creating my own items from what are effectively cast offs.

I'm a reasonably competent modeller, but the fragility, complexity and cost of the more recent models just puts me off. I've even permanently removed detail from some recent models, as I was constantly finding bits all over the place and got fed up with gluing them back on. Just trying to service a modern loco can bring you out in a sweat in case something falls off :-( . When bits do break, getting spares for all these bespoke designs can also be an issue. Fortunately there's plenty of cheap Triang, Hornby etc.. available to play with and I find myself drifting ever more in that direction. I still enjoy my Triang operating mail coach and my, soon to be extended layout, will have the good old operating ore wagon set installed :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Spending my employers money on lots of luverly kit to {play with), uhm.... install and commission, when they'd all bogged off on holiday, satisfied my lifetime need for retail therapy. The pleasure now comes from making, bodging or bashing the things I want!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Just to add something else to the discussion...

These guys are having fun with model railways

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCjSNSTxSC-YZM_i9dqCZLOw

Worth a look

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:38 pm

It's whatever is fun, is what a hobby is about. For me the principal fun is being able to represent the operation of the service timetable that made the pageant that was the steam railway in my home area. I slowly traverse from the first hint of dieselisation, through the years that saw the gradual run down of steam as diesel classes were introduced (and in some cases departed even before steam was finished!) until we get to the point where the East Coast pacifics are about to be withdrawn. Then we reset to the start, and resume. There's some randomness thrown into the operational mix by drawing cards to introduce loco and stock failures, specials various, unusual freight loads, locos off on overhaul, weather disruptions.

One end result is that all purchases have a purpose. It's a traction, rolling stock, track, item, etc. RTR or kit, that is required to fill 'holes' in what is currently on the layout, either using it directly as is, or using it once assembled or modified into something that the operation requires but currently lacks. And if something drops off a model that's fun too. The model has to be taken out of service for fitter's attention and something else has to take its place, and possibly the working has to be modified or occur well out of normal schedule.

This style of operational modelling was I feel once much more popular than it is now. If I didn't enjoy operating the railway to a timetable, then there would be no layout or models. (It's also why I don't bother with anything scenic beyond the railway fence, it cannot be operated.)

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am

I'm sat watching my kit built LNER Sentinel railcar and a Union Mills J26 hauled coal train lap my layout. I could do some end to end work, with shunting, on the Branch but I'm happy, browsing, watching and drinking coffee while listening to the radio.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:04 am

dan8400 wrote:Just to add something else to the discussion...

These guys are having fun with model railways

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCjSNSTxSC-YZM_i9dqCZLOw

Worth a look

Thanks
Dan

I've seen their creations before and they are having fun.

For my layout, the more I am thinking, the more I feel the need for a certain style. I don't want to say too much yet. It is going to be fun. :lol:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 am

Hymirl wrote:Model railways are much less 'fun' than they once were. The old triang toys were before my time but the battlespace stuff with exploding wagons, launching rockets and helicopters is fun... no its not prototypical but that wasn't the point. Same as giraffes ducking under bridges... the only product vaguely similar now is the odd 'working' mailcoach.

One of the things that I though the Great Model Railway Challenge did well was to push the modellers to add fun and animations to layouts.

At this point the hobby concentrates on the 'grey pound' ie, older collectors with funds to buy very detailed and often limited edition models. And while thats a valid business plan for now its not one that gets new hobbyists. And you can't blame computers and internet as youtube and blogs add as much as they take away. And young people still like modelling: walk past and Games Workshop this December and they're mostly busy.

But if you compare the quality of a games workshop tank kit to a Dapol loco kit and there is a generational technology gap. Why aren't there modern well moulded railway kits?

Anyway. Thats what I think. :)

I occasionally visit the Games Workshop in East Kilbride as it is the only local source of paint and glue, I did have a chat with the owner and I posted on another thread about that, I could not understand how he and others could afford prime town centre locations when railway model shops were closing nearly everywhere. There were a few reasons that became apparent - the products that he sells are comparatively cheap compared to model railways so people of all ages can come in a spend a few pounds and get started in the games, the other is that the shop not only sells the stuff but has a display where some of the games are demonstrated and played when there are a few people in (I have never seen a model shop with a layout that is anything other than a display and is invariably not working).
Unless you are a member of a club, railway modelling tends to be a (expensive) solitary hobby which sometimes lacks purpose beyond the creation stage, whereas the gaming fraternity a) is a popular variant of the current appeal of video console games b) Has a social element where like minded individuals come together in a friendly yet competitive atmosphere and c) is affordable.

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:35 am

Apart from the shunting plank/large working diorama portable layouts need a team of operators to set up and run. non portable layouts are either solitary or need to be in a clubroom or other room accessible to a group. Pete Waterman's barn is a good example of this. Even if your interest tends towards shunting and depot operations, having a continuous run where trains can be left to get on with it is a desirable feature. If you have to "drive" a train to complete it's run or circuit, I find I can't handle more than two at a time successfully without some sort of assistance be it human or mechinacal. Peter Denny's mechanical operator based on the principals of Jacquard loom control shows that you don't have to resort to digital electronics for control.
[typing this under attack from an irate moggie, he's spotted the suitcases.]
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”