Future Concepts and Traditions.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

Future Concepts and Traditions.

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Does anyone else feel like they have been left behind in the hobby and have gone back to basics to have some fun? (I have found my fun again but I wanted to enquire to see if it was just me who needed to make a change to rediscover fun).

Dublo

Re: Future Concepts and Traditions.

Postby Dublo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi
I have chosen to leave behind the modern. I have gone back in a time bubble and really having some fun with my layout. My change has been in actually managing to create a railway. Now all I have to do is turn left out of the kitchen door and my slice of a 1950's miniature world awaits.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:25 pm

If I'm understanding this thread right then I'm really considering taking apart and rebuilding my layout ,,I really do find building the layout more fun ,,I've tried to kick start interest by running a loco that hasn't seen daylight for years ,I even bought an extra coach to run with a 1934 Brighton belle but the excitement was short lived ,,,so your not alone ,,mjb

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:46 pm

I feel that with an aging demographic and the continuous output of new models that the hobby now is more about accumulating/collecting rather than using the items we have. In my case the continuous output of new models has left me feeling lethargic about the items as mental saturation point has been reached, rather than feeling excited, I simply pass over any new items with disinterest. Our expectations of how detailed a model should be plus the inevitable surge in new prices has left me feeling blase about any new releases.
Last edited by GWR_fan on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 pm

I had also lost the thrill of modelling in 00 gauge as my modelling standards could not match ready made factory painted products.
In 7mm narrow gauge, the pleasure was restored in that I was modelling again. I find I can enjoy making simple waggons... The thrill of finding something which can be used, like a piece of wood to make a chassis or something like that. It has restored the fun side of the hobby to me.

I find it hard to put things into words.

Going back to basics and simplicity. Will there be a new trend to do this?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Future predictions and trends are an interesting subject. Who would have thought that in todays internet world that the Steampunk fasion would have emerged? While Steampunk maybe not quite thw style I am looking for, the simplicity of all things mechanically based with a simple electrical slant is appealing.
Will we see a trend in this direction with our hobby? Or will there be a greater depth to embrace more and more intricate technology?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I decided to put a limit on acquisitions, on average one new loco per year, I've more wagons than I can possibly use at once, and I've enough rakes of coaches to equip a small heritage line, that occasionally visited by steam specials. I enjoy building small locos, I don't try to compete in detail and finish with the latest RTR, and there's usually two or three little projects on the go at once, currently there's two coaches and a home brewed motor bogie on the go. I use the materials I'm comfortable with, unless something new raises my interest, then I'll give it a try, see what I can do with it. Rule 1 definitely applies, but I try to stay within the bounds of believability. I'm not competing with anyone so I go with what satisfies me.

Re the emergence of steampunk and the interest in the pure mechanical simplicity, I deliberately went with with pushrods for point and signal operation, the only change I might make to that would be to connect them up to a couple of leverframes. If I have a pipedream it's to build a controller which feels like the controls of a steam loco.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:27 pm

And there's me thinking I'm a dinosaur! Now I'm out and proud as the saying goes - I don't want DCC. I don't want a smart phone (taking pictures for posts on here can be a fraught process but using the laptop provides interesting challenges) and breathing new life into older locos that have been bashed in the worst sense of the word is an endless source of satisfaction. And there's a certain something about the rugged simplicity of the two Triang L1s (one is now an E1) and Ivatt mogul I now have that more than makes up for a lack of detail at a price that terrifies.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 am

This crops up on kit modelling forums from time to time, usually in the form of AMS - Advanced Modeller Syndrome. AMS is the inability to build a £10 plastic kit without adding at least £50-worth of resin and photo-etch accessories and spending three months applying a two-colour paint job. Not quite the same as the railway 'modelling' tendency to collect increasingly expensive shiny things, but the same root cause.

The accepted cure is to do exactly what Mountain suggests go back to basics - build something "out of the box". Preferably something horrific like a Matchbox kit, and preferably exactly as you built it when you were a kid - buy it on Saturday morning, build it by lunch time, paint it in the afternoon and put the transfers on before you go to bed.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am

While I don’t use them anymore one thing I did really enjoy doing was dismantling the old triang motors to see how thy worked and service them.

It was really educational, the trouble with the newer stuff is it’s so delicate in comparison so I’m really put off with the worry I will break something

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:59 am

I get little pleasure from buying new items these days - I prefer to build/kit-bash/surgically alter stuff instead. The pleasure comes from the creation more than anything else.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:25 am

It was notable that there was a greater percentage of narrow gauge and the less common scale layouts at this years Warley Exhibition, my guess is that they chose to go that way for the greater hands on activities required.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:11 pm

I must be the odd one out!! :shock: - but I do agree with Bufferstop and GWR.

I enjoy what I'm doing with my modelling, the variety of RTR models is huge (albeit expensive) there are locos made now that were never in existence when I was a lad. Rolling stock is also various, from 12 wheeled dining cars, to Irish modern day coaches, weed exterminator trains, to modern remakes of old time open wagons and Vans. I still think there is enough out there to keep me interested for a while longer.

I spose your enjoyment is what you make it. I like making the card buildings, that's my comfort level, however I'm not that keen on making a loco from scratch, or from a kit, I prefer to buy ready made - each to their own!

My enjoyment also comes from running my selection of many different loco's/coaches & wagons in differing rakes as I see fit, and in future adding lighting, signalling and such.

There must come a time, I suppose, when you finished your layout (I know some will never be completed), but when you've got all the loco's you need and have all the rolling stock your shelves can handle, and there's no more room on the layout for another tree, building, signal gantry, or bus and you've been staring at the same scenery for the duration of the build, I can see that the "lustre" of the whole modelling thing could dim somewhat.

So I think everyone has their own level of enjoyment, and if it has petered out, then what is the harm in changing to something else, to re-ignite that inner spark.
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 pm

I was trying to describe the modelling style I hope to achieve. You know the old railway posters that describe the Welsh narrow gauge railways as "Toy Railway" to attract the potential adventurer to visit? It is something along those lines... A real railway which gives a toylike feel to it. Something to make you smile. If I can do that then I'm happy.

Lots of you have your own unique styles. I'm thinking along the lines of if any modelling style which may catch on in the futre?

I am enjoying reading all of your replies. Thank you.

ikks

Postby ikks » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 am

This thread has really got me thinking, I have a very large collection of mainly locos but rarely do anything with them and on the odd occasion I get them out of their boxes, there are invariably bits in the bottom of the box. I am seriously considering a "return" the HD layouts I had as a boy...they ran well and if they fell off the track they ended nothing fell off but most of all I actually enjoyed operating them.

Mike

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”