Shortest coaches?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Hymirl

Re: Shortest coaches?

Postby Hymirl » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm

So just as a follow up for those interested. I have some measurements after digging a few coaches out the stores and the post from Hattons came! Measuring buffer to buffer.

Ancient hornby mk1 = 26cm
Hornby railroad GWR collett = 24cm
Bachmann mk1 suburban = 24cm
Bachmann 'Ambulance' midland = 23.5
Hornby Gresley Suburban = 21.4cm
Hornby (1989 manufacture) celestory = 19cm
Lima LMS parcel van mere 18cm

Edit: All these have been tested being pushed around radius 1 corners while coupled to another similar coach and no problems found on my tests.

The celestories I have have MK1 bogies, no side steps and fair moulding on the body. And would be relatively easy to reroof if more contemporary looks were required. So might be one for the projects table. One day!
Last edited by Hymirl on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minipix

Postby minipix » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Now that's a bookmarkworthy list! Thanks so much for doing that research and sharing it, I'm sure it'll be valuable to those of us forced into using radius 1 curves.
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm

minipix wrote:Now that's a bookmarkworthy list! Thanks so much for doing that research and sharing it, I'm sure it'll be valuable to those of us forced into using radius 1 curves.

Be aware Minipix, that Bachmann coaches may not go round first radius curves even though they are short. Possibly one could modify them. All the older Lima and Hornby coaches will which is most, if not all the others on the list.
Sticking to older coaches and you won't have a problem. Old Airfix coaches will run well on first radius so Suburban B coaches (Which Hornby later bought the moulds) should be good. They are well detailed as well. I can't comment much about Mainline coaches as they were so difficult to get hold of. They are far easier to get secondhand today then they were when they were new, such was the demand. They should work well.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 pm

minipix wrote:Now that's a bookmarkworthy list! Thanks so much for doing that research and sharing it, I'm sure it'll be valuable to those of us forced into using radius 1 curves.

I have not tested for r1 curves. I'm mostly intetested in them looking better on r2... the decrease in overhang and exposed track at the centre is very noticeable even if its a few cm shorter.

The hornby celestories 100% fine, as is anything made by Lima. That sort of era are pretty good for radius 1.

Mostly you need to look at the couplings as you need the large 'D' to let hooks slide. I would expect the newer Bachman or hornby would risk coupling lock and derail.
If I get the chance I will test and update my list! :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Modern Bachmann coaches (E.g. Mk1's) do need 2nd radius or larger. I did try working on one to ease it so it would run round 1st radius curves, but it was a lot of work, and the real achilles heel in the design were the couplings. The bogies can be eased and made to take tighter curves. The couplings can not. The only way is to abandon the close coupling system with the nem pockets and buy new bogies with proper wide couplings on them. The cost of doing this, on what already is an expensive coach is really not worth the effort. I would buy some later Triang or early Lima Mk1's and update them to flush glazed windows and tweek up the detailing. Not only cheaper to do in the long run, but change the wheels and add some top hat brass bearings and nothing will run nicer! I have some Triang coaches with Romford wheels and top hat brass bearings and they run absolutely beautifully. I don't bother with flush glazing myself, but if you want the model to look better it is the number one upgrade for older coaches, though for me, the running qualities always come first.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Done some testing for you with a coach coupled to another of their own kind and they all traverse Radius 1 without an issue. I was surprised how well it went.

The Colletts where very close to buffers touching didn't bump even bring pushed. And the bachmann coaches are on the limit of their articulation but didn't catch either.

The Gresley suburbans by Hornby are the overal winners out of 'new coaches' as they kept good clearance, had a little more articulation to deal with any track imperfections and are genuinely nice looking and proportioned models (at least to my inexpert eye!). So would recommend over the 2nd hand celestories project!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”