Hornby Decoders not to NRMA standards?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
TheLMSmodeller

Hornby Decoders not to NRMA standards?

Postby TheLMSmodeller » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 am

Hi everyone, was at my local club when somebody went on about Hornby decoders-especially TTS not working on the NCE DCC that my local club has. It seems that TTS sound doesn't work at all, and Hornby decoders (non tts) can be erratic with certain models. People were talking about their new TTS locos having to be re blown to work-or just not to use TTS. IC82 (youtube) touched on this with a Bachmann decoder not working on a Hornby select
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CofaoiQZ_M . To the point. I have found an old DCC sound Hornby duchess (R2989XS) for cheap and am wondering if it's decoder was up to NRM standards and would work on NCE DCC opposed to new TTS?
Last edited by TheLMSmodeller on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Re: Hornby Decoders not to NRM standards?

Postby Bigmet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am

If the model predates the introduction of TTS, it will have an ESU sound decoder, which will not be a problem. Do your research on the model number, and ask the vendor what the decoder is. It's 'caveat emptor' (buyer beware!) with all s/h purchases.

Don't take the NCE gear as a benchmark for compliance either. For reasons known only to the designer this system can rewrite CV4 as a braking simulator which is not very clever for sound decoders which often require a specific set up to allow sounds to play correctly.

As for the opinion of 'somebody' at the club, I would want to test what is claimed for myself. I don't hold Hornby's own brand decoders in any great regard, but they have never failed to work on my Lenz DCC system. They just don't work as well as same price or cheaper decoders from superior brands...

D0260

Re: Hornby Decoders not to NRM standards?

Postby D0260 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

It might work, it might not, You can only try it.
Lets be certain, the NCE DCC is fully DCC NMRA compliant.......
The Hornby DCC chip may not be ...

TheLMSmodeller

Re: Hornby Decoders not to NRMA standards?

Postby TheLMSmodeller » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks Bigmet, I now believe this has the ESU sound decoder, just wanted to check as I want it to work on the club layout, and it seems TTS is a real pain to use on NCE-Most end up just putting a different chip in.

D0260

Postby D0260 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 am

Quote:- ...........TTS is a real pain to use on NCE-Most end up just putting a different chip in. ENDQUOTE

I use NCE and the last loco to have TTS was a Hornby King class... absolutely no problem, so please don't include me in that blatant incorrect assertion.

TheLMSmodeller

Postby TheLMSmodeller » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 am

Sorry D0260, I meant at my club-we run Dc and Dcc at different sessions, and the wiring is very complex. I also know this is a pretty old NCE cab system. The TTS models with issues have been the Mallard & Scotsman, not sure about King/Duchess. The older DCC decoders are also known to be tempremantal on the club layout.
Last edited by TheLMSmodeller on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:45 am

I believe that the R8215 may not have been compliant, but have no issues with the R8249 when used on an NCE system. I also have not had an issue with older TTS decoders from several years ago on my NCE with multiple locomotives tested. Unfortunately, some get a bee in their bonnet using their bias against a product to dissuade others from using the product with false or secondhand misguided information.

The Hornby Select was not compliant so why would one criticise a non-Hornby decoder for not working on a non-compliant system like the elderly Select? What upgrade status was the Select the operator used in the video?
Last edited by GWR_fan on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheLMSmodeller

Postby TheLMSmodeller » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:48 am

GWR_fan, I have heard these locos were brand new hattons ones that didn't work on TTS

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:51 am

TheLMSmodeller wrote:GWR_fan, I have heard these locos were brand new hattons ones that didn't work on TTS

Perhaps you could explain as I was not aware that Hattons made a DCC system, only their own inhouse branded decoders which have not been without their issues. The TTS is a decoder not a DCC system.

TheLMSmodeller

Postby TheLMSmodeller » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am

Im sorry GWR_fan, the people bought these off hattons brand new to use, they were hornby locos, just bought off hattons for a cheaper price. They tested the TTS at home, and it worked fine, it only played up on the club layout.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”