BR blue popularity

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: BR blue popularity

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 am

Don't forget the highlight colour applied to what we now call intercity stock, ie unwashed white around the equally unwashed windows.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Mountain wrote:It did happen in real life. I have a book which shows a Warship in blue pulling a mixed train of blue grey, maroon and a blood and custard coach in the mix. The older liveried coaches did have a neglected look to them. I believe they were all Mk1's.

Definitely not Blood and Custard, it was totally gone by 1964 and Blue and Grey did not appear on "normal" coaches (I am excluding XP64 set) until 1965, what you have possibly seen is a mixture of Maroon, Blue/Grey and chocolate and cream.

Source http://www.bloodandcustard.org/#SixtiesCLC

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:37 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Mountain wrote:It did happen in real life. I have a book which shows a Warship in blue pulling a mixed train of blue grey, maroon and a blood and custard coach in the mix. The older liveried coaches did have a neglected look to them. I believe they were all Mk1's.

Definitely not Blood and Custard, it was totally gone by 1964 and Blue and Grey did not appear on "normal" coaches (I am excluding XP64 set) until 1965, what you have possibly seen is a mixture of Maroon, Blue/Grey and chocolate and cream, as that livery didn't become extinct until 1968

Source http://www.bloodandcustard.org/#SixtiesCLC

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:14 pm

b308 wrote:

If it had blood and custard livery it would probably have been mid or late 60s, I don't remember seeing any B&C liveried coaches any later...

D605Eagle wrote:In the preserved diesel world BR blue is very popular. Its got to the point when you get sick of seeking so many blue locos. I would put money on theres 10 blue diesels for every 1 blue and grey coach, and blue diesels look so stupid pulling blood and custard or older.

Simple reason for that, the owners worked or spotted BR during that era, I know several of them at work who either worked those locos or were spotters... Same as steam preservation, you preserve what you know or were brought up with!

I know this, but the point I'm trying to make is there's no authentically liveried stock for them to pull. There was virtually no maroon stock left if any when tops numbering arrived. Also its causing the rift between steam and diesel departments even wider as the diesel liveries move further and further away from the steam era. I've witnessed this first hand.

MickleoverTestTrack

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:29 am

Riviera trains have two full rakes of blue-grey Mk2 aircons kept at Nemesis Burton.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:18 am

D605Eagle wrote: I know this, but the point I'm trying to make is there's no authentically liveried stock for them to pull.

From what I've seen on all the preserved lines I've visited that isn't a problem, they just stick whatever the loco of the day is (in whatever livery it is in, some genuine, some not!) in front of whatever stock is around (see loco for livery!) and off they go. Authenticity? What's that? ;) It would be easy enough to repaint a few Mk1s in blue/grey but then only a few steamers would be suitable based on "authenticity" and steam is the draw at the moment, not diesel, so the priority is for them... Perhaps in a few years time we'll see a few blue/grey sets knocking around... If it's any consolation I wouldn't mind seeing the odd coach in those colours which looked OK and would make a change from the preponderance of maroon or green! I quite like the look of a mixed livery'd rake!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/6250481076/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/6261620204/

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 am

I watched this and had a twinge of nostalgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxR8Ye2zj4

Jim

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:40 am

That looked very good until you saw that monstrosity on the back, if they'd taken it off it could have gone even faster, not slowed down by the deadweight! ;) :)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 am

b308 wrote:...steam is the draw at the moment, not diesel, ...

Steam will remain the draw forever. For the simple reason that diesel traction will remain in use on the national network for the foreseeable future, there's no romance, it is simply a utility. As a result preserved diesel traction - and potentially electric - is strictly rail enthusiast focussed. And that cannot bring in the necessary volume of cash lfrom family days out to see the fabled puffers on the old railway.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:25 am

I agree steam will be a perennial draw (until they ban it on pollution grounds!), but I wouldn't dismiss diesel quite so quickly... The SVR, my local preserved line, has more than one diesel day and they a extremely well attended. The thing is the modern British system is virtually all multiple units with very few loco hauled and even they are push pulls. The locos that have been preserved all have distinctive sounds (like steam had 2 cyl, 3 cyl, etc., which were also distinctive). Also young children can relate to diesel better than steam, though for nostalgia alone nothing beats steam!

The Snowdon Mountain railway uses diesel for most of their trains, they've found that most people don't bother what is up front (or behind in their case!), they are there for the ride (many Alpine lines I've been on are electric and are not short on passengers)... I know that's an extreme example but going back to the UK main lines I suspect that the majority of the "specials" that run in the UK outside of the West Highland line are diesel rather than steam hauled...

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 am

b308 wrote:That looked very good until you saw that monstrosity on the back, if they'd taken it off it could have gone even faster, not slowed down by the deadweight! ;) :)

At least it is a passable shade of blue and not one of those horrible red sheds!

Jim

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Bigmet wrote:

Steam will remain the draw forever. For the simple reason that diesel traction will remain in use on the national network for the foreseeable future, there's no romance, it is simply a utility. As a result preserved diesel traction - and potentially electric - is strictly rail enthusiast focussed. And that cannot bring in the necessary volume of cash lfrom family days out to see the fabled puffers on the old railway.

Highest figures of visitors to the elr ever was the massive deltic gala some years ago. Any diesel running now, if advertised especially on mainly steam lines puts more than enough bums on seats.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Multiple post

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:09 pm

D605Eagle wrote:
Bigmet wrote:

Steam will remain the draw forever. For the simple reason that diesel traction will remain in use on the national network for the foreseeable future, there's no romance, it is simply a utility. As a result preserved diesel traction - and potentially electric - is strictly rail enthusiast focussed. And that cannot bring in the necessary volume of cash from family days out to see the fabled puffers on the old railway.

Highest figures of visitors to the elr ever was the massive deltic gala some years ago. Any diesel running now, if advertised especially on mainly steam lines puts more than enough bums on seats.

You are arguing against the case you propose!

What supports the availability of preserved lines to run occasional diesel galas? It's because of what they do all the rest of the time, operate steam. Show me a preserved outfit that never runs a steam loco and thrives over the years, and I might begin to believe that diesel is enough of a draw. (I would go to an all Deltic operation preservation line incidentally, Babies and mighty Drones. But that's the only diesel type that has that draw for me.)

MickleoverTestTrack

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Bigmet wrote:diesel traction, there's no romance, it is simply a utility.

For you, there are diesel and electric enthusiasts that find them more than utilitarian. The number of people living that remember steam operating can only go in one direction.*

*Assuming there is no zombie apocalypse.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”