BR blue popularity

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GWR_fan

BR blue popularity

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:38 pm

Once again I decided to sell off some BR blue parcel vans and modern image freight rolling stock on eBay. As per the last time I tried this about a year ago there is no interest downunder in such stock. These are all basically unused as new condition and less than half retail and yet not one watcher and few viewing indicating to me that people are not searching such stuff.

A month or two ago I sold off cheaply a heap of Bachmann bogie tankers and these flew off the shelf. I imagine that container cars would also sell and yet no interest in merry go round hoppers and vans. Last week I picked up locally four OTA waggons in new condition for a song. I felt guilty buying them as the price was much less than half replacement cost as there was only one other bidder on the listing and his interest peaked early (cheaply).

I assumed wrongly that like any other period that there would be interest in the blue period and merry go round scene as these facets of the hobby represent income to the railways. A similar theme with BR blue locomotives. I could sell as many BR green locomotives as I could get and yet a blue locomotive just sits there ignored.

Is the blue scene popular or are there just a few vocal adherents?

Mountain

Re: BR blue popularity

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:05 am

For me there was no easier era to model then the B.R. blue era and it spanned from the very last days of steam right into the early 1990's in some places like Wales.
The easiest time to model B.R. blue has to be the latter half of the late 1970's after the headcode boxes stopped displaying individual headcodes (Which can be such a pain for the B.R. green modeller as few of their trains show plausible head codes for the trains they pull) into the early to mid 1980's when the large logo blue liveries had just started to arrive but before the exclusive greys cams in. Therefore one can mix loco hauled coaching stock with DMU's and all sorts in between. It was before the goods sheds and yards closed. I've seen a class 37 pull a weed killing train which had tatty looking old LNER coaches for the traincrew. Quite often I used to see quite vintage rolling stock from the 1920's to '30's mixing next to modern state of the art HST's and other modern trains. It was quite n interesting time.
One of the amazing scenes to see were the cut down triple headed class 03's pulling their rakes of 50 or so old very rusty unfitted steel bodied coal wagons up and down the permanently flooded former canal which became the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Railway. The drivers and guards would always give us school children a wave as we would watch them from the local bridges. II do believe I learnt how to count by watching those coal wagons pass, and the screaming bearings of their wheels due to the floods washing out the grease from the axleboxes! They would grease them daily I was told.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:33 am

It was obviously an exciting era and yet little to no interest downunder. My favourite livery is the large logo BR blue.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:49 am

I think it's because the hobby here is populated by home grown baby boomers and retired Brits of similar age. Boomers grew up with Hornby and then Triang Trains, reading Look & Learn, Enid Blyon & W.E. Johns when steam and green were still part of life in Britain. Then we came of a certain age and headed off to do other things. The blue era holds little if any nostalgia value in the same way most plastic modellers model WWII armour, aircraft and vessels.

In both cases there is some interest in contemporary kit, but the Blue era in rail....I'm sure there is interest from some quarters, just not in volume.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:22 am

I was thinking along those lines that the ex-pats that migrated back in the 40's, 50's and 60's would not have known the blue period.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:49 am

The BR blue period will likely to become very popular in about ten to twenty years time and here is why. While it was popular when the prototype livery was BR blue, it dipped in popularity when new prototype liveries arrived. Then it regained popularity about 10-15 years later by those who were modern era modellers who gave up trying to keep to the latest thing. They were also onto a good thing as they could buy cheap secondhand models from the ones who wanted to model today's ever changing scene.
Now the ones who grew up in the B.R. blue era as a child have not yet reached retirement. They grew up with the tail end of the baby boon years where classrooms and schools were overcrowded. They have another ten to twenty years before they can retire and when they do the lucky ones will be looking to turn to the great hobby that we have today. Few in the generation are like me ejoying trains as most dont have the time due to job commitments, mortgages or rents to pay and the general thrills of family life or for many single parent life (Which can be even more demanding) or the financially worse still, single parent dads who dont have access to their children and are burdened with bills for children and little or no state support for providing shelter and the things needed for a quality of life they deserve.
Now when this generation reaches retirement age, B.R. blue models are likely to sell and sell and sell! If one wants to invest in the future by buying models (Assuming things stay relatively stable in the UK and the world) one can't go wrong to invest in B.R. blue.
(Though I'm selling mine as I'm enjoying 7mm narrow gauge so much that I've hardly looked at my 00 gauge B.R. blue collection and I'm not really a collector at heart).

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:27 pm

On the description above I grew up with it (my spotting days were mid 60s to late 70s) but I find the most boring era to model, all the same colours and to make matters worse that shade of blue is so dull and everything was so run down.. Shame they never used "electric blue", though, that would have been far nicer!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Not sure I agree as I found it an incredibly exciting time due to the number of differeent types of locomotive and the sheer number of different types of trains that were passing. My 00 gauge collection was aimed at trying to represent examples of all I saw passing through when I was young living in my local village and surrounding area, and I have many locos, DMU's many coaches and wagons and still I hardly scratched the surface. It is this collection along with a few other items I'd bought that I am starting to sell off now as I'm spending so much time with my love for 7mm narrow gauge that I've hardly looked at my 00 gauge items.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Compared with today I'd agree about variety but my early spotting days included steam and there was even more around in those days... It was just the run down nature of BR back then, we hardly saw any stuff ex works except the odd 50 and that colour just seemed to attract dirt and grime... TBH I'm glad that there aren't so many "blue" layouts around these days, at one point in the 90s they were like the GWR branchline layouts of the 60s, you couldn't move for them! ;) :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm

I'd say the late '90's as when I started going all out for B.R. blue in the early '90's it was the complete opposite. RTR models in the livery were scarce. However in the late '90's when I had a well paid railway job the manufacturers were churning out new BR blue models like there was no tomorrow and I ended up buying them! :D Its how I ended up with such a collection.
I'm slowly selling them now though as I dont use them and I can free up some money to invest in 7mm narrow gauge instead. I also could do with the space as when I had my own house all was fine but moving in with my mum about a decade ago meant that all I had was a tight squeeze and we plan to move again in future years to downsize a bit and live closer to transport links etc.

I dont think B.R. blue models have ever not been popular except before they were seen on the prototype, but I do think that there are years when it is saught after and years when it is not.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:18 pm

In the preserved diesel world BR blue is very popular. Its got to the point when you get sick of seeking so many blue locos. I would put money on theres 10 blue diesels for every 1 blue and grey coach, and blue diesels look so stupid pulling blood and custard or older.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm

It did happen in real life. I have a book which shows a Warship in blue pulling a mixed train of blue grey, maroon and a blood and custard coach in the mix. The older liveried coaches did have a neglected look to them. I believe they were all Mk1's.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:18 am

Mountain wrote:It did happen in real life. I have a book which shows a Warship in blue pulling a mixed train of blue grey, maroon and a blood and custard coach in the mix. The older liveried coaches did have a neglected look to them. I believe they were all Mk1's.

If it had blood and custard livery it would probably have been mid or late 60s, I don't remember seeing any B&C liveried coaches any later...

D605Eagle wrote:In the preserved diesel world BR blue is very popular. Its got to the point when you get sick of seeking so many blue locos. I would put money on theres 10 blue diesels for every 1 blue and grey coach, and blue diesels look so stupid pulling blood and custard or older.

Simple reason for that, the owners worked or spotted BR during that era, I know several of them at work who either worked those locos or were spotters... Same as steam preservation, you preserve what you know or were brought up with!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:46 am

About 20 years ago the only blue you'd see on preserved railways were the ones that hadn't had a repaint and were bought in (By then) a very faded BR blue.
The book showed coverage from the late '60's to early '70's I believe.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:46 am

b308 wrote:On the description above I grew up with it (my spotting days were mid 60s to late 70s) but I find the most boring era to model, all the same colours and to make matters worse that shade of blue is so dull and everything was so run down...

My expectation is that BR blue is completely over. The overall scene was so dull compared to what came before it and what happened after that it will not appeal to manufacturers for a start. The livery choices of blue, badly faded blue, horribly rusty, filthy, depressing blue, simply won't stimulate suficient demand.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”