Backscenes.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
dubdee1000

Re: Backscenes.

Postby dubdee1000 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:32 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/I-D-Backscenes-401-Photo-Backscene-15-High-Terrace-House-Backs-10ft-Long-OO/1042205453?iid=392089122668

Is the backscene.

The walling is from the Wills Kit, tweaked and then molded. I then did a load of casts to help it go around corners - if you look at my work in progress in the link below, you can see it being built. Its had a couple of coats of halfords brown primer and a few washes with darker shades and some white for efflorescence. Still work in progress - needs a really good weathering.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:11 pm

I D do a load more backscenes, they look good for those of you who model British!

http://www.art-printers.com/

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Keep up the good work.

captrees

Postby captrees » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 am

Pete wrote:I painted one in the style of a 1950s railway poster, I blocked in the broad areas of colour based on photos from the actual scene. It worked quite nice, I used little tester pots of heritage paints to get the shades I needed. I've painted a few skys too, but never had much luck with buildings, but that's probably more to do with my artistic skills.

P.

This is a great idea, I reckon, and I tried it, but it looks nothing like I wanted, or as good as the posters. Got any pics?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:42 am

Pete wrote: I've painted a few skys too, but never had much luck with buildings,

It's all to do with the viewing angle Pete. The sky is a virtual image that doesn't really exist so it doesn't matter where you look at it from it's going to look the same. Houses, buildings any sort of structure is a 3D object, its appearance will change as you move the viewing angle so to get a 2D representation you draw in perspective and it only works properly from one angle. So try to fix the angle from which the 2D bits can be seen. If those sound like the sort of things you find in a book, the aren't quite, it's what an uncle who was an accomplished amateur artist told me when I asked him how to paint a backscene. It's probably taken me half a lifetime to understand what he meant, but it seems to work. It doesn't really matter if you are painting, using your own photos or cutting bits out of magazines and brochures, wide angle for distant images, bits seen between houses trees etc for the closer stuff, and try never to show the bit where the ground goes from 3D to 2D by using some thing like a wall or hedge or even the hump of a bridge.
Thanks uncle Norm you were spot on.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Pete wrote: I've painted a few skys too, but never had much luck with buildings, but that's probably more to do with my artistic skills.

P.

I think I'm the opposite to you. :D

Drawing buildings, cars trains etc is not an issue for me as it kind of relates to the technical drawing side of things which I was good at. Its the more artistic side of the scenery I'm going to need to practice on. Hopefully I'll have some success even if I have many fun attempts trying!

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:03 am

I can draw buildings, but it's the painting of them to make them 'fit' my scene that I struggle with, they always look artificial, a splurge of countryside is far easier :)

With ref to Bufferstop's comments, I agree you can suffer from the perspective changing, though if you have a long scene careful choice of your vanishing points can alleviate the problem, and if you're good at it have multiple pairs along the scene (this is probably what your uncle was alluding to, (I think most competent artists do it sub-consciously).
My layouts tend to be quite short so not necessarily a huge problem, but as noted by bufferstop above it contributes to the artificial look.

I always try to hide the join of the backscene with the base board with a wall or a hedge or something.

Of course if you're adding a back scene that tends to suggest you're about finished... time to start again!

P.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 am

Pete wrote:
Of course if you're adding a back scene that tends to suggest you're about finished... time to start again!
P.

Gosh! I must have finished my layout ages ago. :lol:

For me, the backscene is one of the early things I do, as it is difficult to get to once anything is put in front of it.

In the picture, the backscene is behind The Royal and William Lockie low relief buildings.
IMG_0367.JPG

The challenge I have with printed backcscenes, lovely as they are, is the joins between each one. This is in the 'fiddle yard', so I am not in a hurry to remedy. Maybe someone has an easy solution. :wink:
IMG_0527.JPG

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

heda

Postby heda » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm not going to contribute to much as my backscenes are Peco, sweet and simple, but what can help to give them a little depth and certainly hide the joins is to download some pictures of trees, resize as required and past them on to the back scene
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:22 pm

One can place trees or a chimney in front of the join. Anything to hide the join. A flying saucer with a beam down to earth... A helicopter with a rope and a man dangling.... A TV mast... A giraffe.... The list goes on.

Postby 4472 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:34 pm

I solved the problem by buying a long sheet of thin plywood that was the length of the layout (8 feet) and getting my talented daughter to paint the countryside based on some sheets I got free with a magazine some years ago. Result is no joins and a lovely rolling countryside.
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 pm

4472 wrote:I solved the problem by buying a long sheet of thin plywood that was the length of the layout (8 feet) and getting my talented daughter to paint the countryside based on some sheets I got free with a magazine some years ago. Result is no joins and a lovely rolling countryside.

It's not recommended to paint direct to the wood, especially plywood as no matter what you do the grain will show through. Better off painting to a smooth surface then attaching it to the plywood.

Mountain wrote: A flying saucer with a beam down to earth... A helicopter with a rope and a man dangling.... A TV mast... A giraffe.... The list goes on.

I have to say I don't agree with that, those sorts of things are eye magnets, which then highlights the join behind it. if your backscene has trees then it's best to use them, anything which doesn't draw the eye, a chimney is OK as long as it's what you'd expect to be there...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Pete wrote: Of course if you're adding a back scene that tends to suggest you're about finished... time to start again!
P.

I started my layout rather late then, :o as the first thing I did was painted the walls "sky" between the baseboard height and the ceiling. I used two matchpots of a very pale blue and an almost dry roller to get a hazy effect.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Maybe it's just me then, its always the last thing for me :)

Completely with you on using matchpots, they are ideal.

P.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:11 am

Not just you, I tend to do them near the end as well, Mountain! The reason I do them that way is so I can match my photos to the scene I've created, I could do it the other way round (at the beginning) but I just find it easier to do near the end!

As I said earlier the key thing with any backscene is to ensure that it is scenery that you'd expect to see behind the model you have created. Sky papers are a useful temporary backscene but if you think about the Real Thing have you even looked at a station and then beyond it and only seen sky? Unless you are close to it and looking up I don't think so, there's always some ground in view!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”