The Great Model Railway Challenge

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mahoganydog

Re: The Great Model Railway Challenge

Postby mahoganydog » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Buelligan wrote:
footplat47 wrote:
Buelligan wrote:Thanks, maybe I missed it in the programme. I don’t hear much of it as the kids are asking endless questions all the way through.

Record it,,,,,,,,,,, or turn the kids off :P :P ..................................John

That is with recording it, I watch it once with the kids so they can see what people do and how you can make a layout look, then I watch again with my wife who sits quietly until I try watching something, then doesn't stop talking. I can't face watching a 3rd time!

My advice....invest in some duct tape.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

NedFlanders

Ratings? - when/where do they come out?

Postby NedFlanders » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi all,

Seeing as last year the series performed well enough to be renewed and extended I am interested to find to how its getting on this year thus far relative to how it was doing last year.

How do TV ratings get published etc?

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Buelligan wrote:That is with recording it, I watch it once with the kids so they can see what people do and how you can make a layout look, then I watch again with my wife who sits quietly until I try watching something, then doesn't stop talking. I can't face watching a 3rd time!

I fell asleep halfway through the first time and had to rewatch it to find out how it ended! In fairness, we had just got back from a weekend away with our 10 month old so incredibly tired! Nothing against the show :lol:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:31 pm

As I have been travelling on business over the past couple of weeks I just caught up with the series over the last couple of evenings, please to .ay that in the first three episodes I managed to agree with the judges and pick the winnerfor each,. I particularly liked the winning layout of episode 3, The Railmen of Kent were worthy winners and their layout was probably the best yet that I have seen on any of the shows, a proper model railway layout that didn't rely on outlandish gimmicks to score points, although I did agree with the judges comment about the exposed connector block - tut tut!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:43 pm

I enjoyed it and the right layout was selected I think but I also think there were other near worthy efforts. Noticed the ladies did not even get a mention in the judging in fact all through the program they were hardly mensioned. I thought they made a good one as well. Just because their boat did not work to well. What do they expect in three days. Like the program and it promotes the hobby well. I would like to see more of the models and less of the faces.
Never enough time is there.........John

Postby 4472 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm

It's on tonight then another episode on Saturday, followed by a 3rd next Saturday
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Flip sake 5 keep rearranging the schedule making it earlier and earlier, I missed last weeks episode because stuff was clashing and I'd already missed half by the time I got home and then had to sort out dinner, this week I will probably miss it because it is going to be on too early, if the final is on the 26th(?) then I might be able to watch that at least as I need the day off to take the rest of the family to killarney to catch a train to the mother in laws so won't be in work that evening hopefully. Why do they keep changing it though?

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Alexander Court wrote: Why do they keep changing it though?

It's what happens when you employ the village idiot to write the schedule. History tells us NOT to do this because it can kill off a series especially if they clash it with something that is more popular.

Maybe there isn't going to be a third series?
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:03 pm

mahoganydog wrote:
Alexander Court wrote: Why do they keep changing it though?

It's what happens when you employ the village idiot to write the schedule. History tells us NOT to do this because it can kill off a series especially if they clash it with something that is more popular.

Maybe there isn't going to be a third series?

It has happened with other 'popular programmes'. In the end people did not know what day or time the programme was on; therefore lost interest.
Robot Wars was a classic at being 'messed around'.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Alexander Court wrote:Flip sake 5 keep rearranging the schedule making it earlier and earlier, I missed last weeks episode because stuff was clashing and I'd already missed half by the time I got home and then had to sort out dinner, this week I will probably miss it because it is going to be on too early, if the final is on the 26th(?) then I might be able to watch that at least as I need the day off to take the rest of the family to killarney to catch a train to the mother in laws so won't be in work that evening hopefully. Why do they keep changing it though?

Alexander

I think the week where it was on Friday and Saturday caught a few people out too. Can't you get it on +1 or on catchup?

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Buelligan wrote:
Alexander Court wrote:Flip sake 5 keep rearranging the schedule making it earlier and earlier, I missed last weeks episode because stuff was clashing and I'd already missed half by the time I got home and then had to sort out dinner, this week I will probably miss it because it is going to be on too early, if the final is on the 26th(?) then I might be able to watch that at least as I need the day off to take the rest of the family to killarney to catch a train to the mother in laws so won't be in work that evening hopefully. Why do they keep changing it though?

Alexander

I think the week where it was on Friday and Saturday caught a few people out too. Can't you get it on +1 or on catchup?

As I live in the republic of Ireland there is no channel.5 available, so no catch up, no my5, I always have to watch it on +1 due to my hours being roughly 3pm to 9pm/9.30pm and even then I have to go unofficially through the skybox services to get channel 5+1 because of it not being available to Irish customers, I therefore cannot pause or record the channel either.

Alexander

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:56 am

TBH they may struggle to get enough people for more than one or two more series. The time commitment is very large and not really suitable for people who are not retired or self employed. I looked into it and you need at least 5 days for the filming (3 for the actual and one day each side for the travelling), then there's the planning and making of the pre builds. It's a heck of a lot of work and time! Even though I only work part time I couldn't have done it unless I used up my holidays and there's not too many people (especially those with families) that are prepared to do that. You also need 5 (preferably more) people for the team.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”