The Great Model Railway Challenge

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
b308

Re: The Great Model Railway Challenge

Postby b308 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 am

Alexander Court wrote:Have you never been to Norfolk?

Yes, and it's not flat. If you look you'll see that most fields have undulations, not big, but you can see them. And that's before you see the drainage ditches and the different levels for the roads and railways over the surrounding land... I'm sorry but to me a field that is made from a piece of flat board (or, even worse, is just the baseboard where the track is on exactly the same level) just looks totally unrealistic, no matter where it's based. Nature doesn't do perfectly flat. :)

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am

alex3410 wrote:I can understand that, it still would have been nice just to show a small bit, I am thinking of the young kid and parent watching it thinking 'I want to try that', just to nudge the interest a bit more.

Honestly after seeing the grass mat in use i am really considering trying it for my layout, it looks ideal for a base to then add more detail to and i was actually impressed with how good it looked given the time.

I agree, but I believe it was down to time restraints more than anything else, 45 mins is not very long!

Regarding grassmat, I think where they went wrong is that they didn't dampen the mat enough before laying. I use watered down PVA to glue mine down, that way it soaks into the mat making it more pliable and allowing you to smooth out any creases.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Did anyone watch "Walking lost railways" which is straight afterwards? It was rather interesting and featured a rather nice model railway of the route being walked that week.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Hymirl wrote:Did anyone watch "Walking lost railways" which is straight afterwards? It was rather interesting and featured a rather nice model railway of the route being walked that week.

Indeed!
And then went looking for one at the weekend which is now The Downs Link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downs_Link
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 am

Clear winners again, really fun to watch them all take shape

sjgarth

Postby sjgarth » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:30 am

Better this week.
The scratch built challenge was better with the provided objects more realistic.
No prima Donna captains either.
Snippets of advice such as don't build scenary before the track, check the gap between tracks, especially on corners, etc.
Yours
Steve

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:00 am

The team leader, of Railway Video Division is SDJR7F88 on Youtube https://youtu.be/0nSFiGyfTGA Not surprisingly their winning display reflects elements of his own modeling activities.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:51 pm

HarryR wrote:The team leader, of Railway Video Division is SDJR7F88 on Youtube https://youtu.be/0nSFiGyfTGA Not surprisingly their winning display reflects elements of his own modeling activities.

Now the team name makes sense!

I don't think i quite understand the rules on how much you can prepare. His behind the scenes video shows a board with a fair amount of track laid on it....

It was a cool layout though.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:31 pm

I suspect the rules were not drafted well enough.

I had a friend in London whose job was to draw up parliamentary bills. Not for policy, but the actual phrasing.
He used to say "What I have to do is to make sure that the legislation cannot be misunderstood **no matter how hard people try.** " (my emphasis.)

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:17 pm

To be fair to the producers model railways were an unknown quantity and there will always be people trying to gain an advantage. Missenden pushed it too far, though. It's noticeable that no-one else so far has pushed the boundaries so everyone else must have read it the way it was intended. No doubt if they have a second series the rules will be tighter.

Your friend should have tried drafting the rules for Formula 1 motor racing, i recon even he would be beaten by the teams who have become experts at "bending" them!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Emettman, I agree, as I was nearly involved in the show... but declined as I thought it would be a bad idea for me personally, as 3 days is just not enough to build anything decent... I suspect the Missenden lot knew that...

I asked for some rules and a timescale how long to build and what the show layout would be and what would be involved... they didn't appear to have much of a clue, being guided by some kind of experts who seem to have no idea about modelling...

When I did get some info it was very vague... including rules and decided to pull out of it as it went from being about an individual to a group of people building, to that I said go and talk to model clubs then.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Just to clarify matters and stop speculation, here's the rules from a post on RMWeb (they do have their uses!):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=3330239

One other thing, it is perfectly possible to produce a decent layout within the timescales laid down by the rules, the two winners so far have confirmed that. The thing is is to use the K.I.S.S. method, which both winners did. TBH four of the six layouts I've seen so far are better than many of the ones I see exhibited at exhibitions. Perfection is the least of my worries, i just prefer a reasonable representation of what i am trying to model.

Just out of interest who were these experts with no clue about modelling, Matt? The "experts" on the programme (the judges) were just that, experts.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:32 am

b308 wrote:Just to clarify matters and stop speculation, here's the rules from a post on RMWeb (they do have their uses!):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=3330239

One other thing, it is perfectly possible to produce a decent layout within the timescales laid down by the rules, the two winners so far have confirmed that. The thing is is to use the K.I.S.S. method, which both winners did. TBH four of the six layouts I've seen so far are better than many of the ones I see exhibited at exhibitions. Perfection is the least of my worries, i just prefer a reasonable representation of what i am trying to model.

Just out of interest who were these experts with no clue about modelling, Matt? The "experts" on the programme (the judges) were just that, experts.

I do not know who the researchers or advisers were.... but they did lead the program makers up the garden path I feel, when they changed their approach to groups, and them telling me our advisers told us everyone models in groups... well that's not true or accurate some of the best modellers some layouts don't even see the light of day... so sadly I don't know who they are but again I don't think they know the hobby that well, however I am only using the term the company used with me, our research experts said..... which again I didn't agree with.

The judges were only contacted a couple of weeks before the show started recording.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 am

The bake-off theme is based on individuals, and that's the way they'd have initially looked to do it. It would then have become clear that for the format to work within the model railway theme, and within the 24 hour timescale, one person working on their own wouldn't have been able to do it. By then they'd have also spoken to more people and seen the "club" and "society" set-up within Model Railways. Hence the change of tack. It's interesting to note that the Strangers team (winners of episode 1) are individual modellers brought together by the company for the programme, from what I can gather they'd never met before they got together to plan the layout!

From what I've seen on the RMWeb thread, where there are several people who took part contributing to the thread, they developed a much better idea on how the programme could be done over time, which is how these programmes are developed. It sound similar to the Great Glen challenge, those of us who saw the early ideas that the production company had were very critical of them, but as they developed the idea further what could or could not be done within the timescale was firmed out and the end result was the success.

Obviously from what we've seen so far they successfully developed the initial idea (Bake-Off format using model railways instead of cake) and have made it into a good programme.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 am

Shhhh. Don't say anymore..... I missed it so will have to watch the repeat on Wednesday. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”