Trainsets.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

Trainsets.

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Trainsets in 00 gauge are plentiful, and also N gauge has a few. But what about some of the other scales and gauges out there?
Would such an item tempt you to try a different scale or gauge if it was available?

End2end

Re: Trainsets.

Postby End2end » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:51 pm

I was looking at larger scale sets recently.
O gauge sets seem to be more expensive than G gauge sets and the same with all that goes with them.
I kept looking at the garden. :lol: She's having none of it. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm

I would be tempted to buy a 1.76 narrow gauge just to collect such as the Welsh highland and the festinog railway,,,I seen them in the shop at the railway station in Porthmadog ,,,very nice ,and the price ,,,I wouldn't change scale altogether,my wife would kill me ,,I've spent far to much on oo scale ,,,,mjb

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:58 pm

End2end wrote:.
I kept looking at the garden. :lol: She's having none of it. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end

If she is having none of it, does that mean you will be building a layout in the garden ON YOUR OWN? :?: :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:55 pm

I bought a Fleischmann Magic Train set a few years back, a little 0-4-0 loco, two coaches, an oval of Fleiscmann track and a controller that could power a small nation :)

I'm not sure I really thought of it as a change of scale, I just liked whole package.

P.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Those Magic Trains seem tempting, but I have the feeling that they are wider then my loading gauge? Are the coaches wider the Peco coaches?

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:06 pm

A train pack might, but the "basic oval" bundled with it in any new gauge might well not appeal unless it was a most definite bargain.

Long times past the Eggberbahn OO9 sets caught me, and the Jouef Decauville set too.
(annoying thing is I'd know how to make them run well, now.)

I was tempted by the Czech O gauge ETS tinplate when it first came out... It was superb value then, but it was lack of space not money that put me off.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 pm

End2end wrote:I kept looking at the garden. :lol: She's having none of it. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end

There are cheap ways of getting into the garden with larger scale trains, but not by the buy ready-to-run route.

I'm horrified how expensive the conventional LGB seems to have become.
At a conservative estimate were I to try and replace the track in my garden, including using second hand where available,
I'd be looking at £2,500 - £3,000 pounds.
It didn't seem anything like that "hit" when I put my first layout down 15 years ago.
Similarly loco prices seem to have increased much more than inflation, but that is just my impression.

A little something I put together for my local day-care centre.
Budget: £100.

elford_004_opt.jpg
elford_004_opt.jpg (111.77 KiB) Viewed 468 times

(The plan was to get people to build a model village to fill it out... then came cuts.)

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:59 pm

I had a relatively complex outdoor G scale railway (You-tube - Gscalenut) that served me well for over ten years, however, nature and the environment convinced me that indoors was simpler. I started off on the right foot with stainless steel rail and quality electrics with redundancy built in to counter any electrical issues. It was not cheap. Track alone cost more than $20,000.00 and electrics around $5,000.00. Then one has to add locomotives and rolling stock (I wont divulge how much was spent there). My wife morally supported the venture. All started with a couple of inexpensive starter sets. The Germans are cunning in that they underprice the contents of their starter sets to get you hooked and then you graduate to the real price of goods when you expand your empire.

Would I do it again - no way!!!!!!!!!!!

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:47 am

Mountain wrote:Those Magic Trains seem tempting, but I have the feeling that they are wider then my loading gauge? Are the coaches wider the Peco coaches?

They are to scale (Oe 1:45) but the coaches are too short, remember that they are 760mm gauge prototypes and therefore the gauge is correct, unlike 2ft gauge prototypes used on O-16.5! It's academic anyhow as they are no longer made...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 am

Its the width rather then the length as I actually need short coaches but I dont want them too wide. The widest I use are Peco coaches with brake van tickets.
I also use Smallbrook Studio and also scratchbuilt coaches which are (Or going to be) ending up a similar size. One of my coaches used to be a Faller 0 gauge coach which went through some major slimming and shortening work to suit my loading gauge.
Attachments
IMG_20171208_152615.jpg
IMG_20180204_102402.jpg

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”