The Main Questions To Solve Regarding Portable Layouts.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

The Main Questions To Solve Regarding Portable Layouts.

Postby Mountain » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:38 am

One is how to make the legs. (I've solved that one).
Another is how best to join boards together and join track at the boards edges... (I've almost solved that. Nearly there. (Just need to build bridge rails if that's a term I can use)).

How to attach backscenes? (I do have a plan here which may work. I have an added issue here in that my backscenes can't just be bolted onto the back of the layout as it will be operated from the back).

How to prevent the boards from becoming too heavy. (I'm working on that! :mrgreen: ).

How to fit the boards into the car? (My boards are small enough length and width wize to fit most cars, but I will have to make some sort of rack after I've dont the scenery to stop one board from resting on the scenery of another board).

How best to tackle uneven floors? (Not even thought of this other then borrow or bring some books of various thicknesses?)

Any other questions? (Not sure yet! :lol: ).

Re: The Main Questions To Solve Regarding Portable Layouts.

Postby 4472 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:52 am

Uneven floors
1. Adjustable feet
2. Beer mats
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:57 am

Mountain wrote:How best to tackle uneven floors? (Not even thought of this other then borrow or bring some books of various thicknesses?)

I bough adjustable baseboard feet direct from a web seller. (they do sell on ebay but more expensive)
https://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk ... FAB102.htm
or
https://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk ... FAB103.htm

My shopping list from Station Road Baseboards including bolts to bolt the boards together was as follows:

FAB102 - Medium Bracket Foot 100mm Screw (24 of) £1.99 each
FFH080 Wing Nut M8 (12 of) £0.20 each
FFW080 Penny Washer M8 (24 of) £0.06 each
FFS860 Set Bolt M8 x 60mm (12 of) £0.35 each
Delivery £8.76

Total Cost = £64.56

Just for completness, here is the Station Road Baseboards EBAY listing - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Medium-Bra ... SwL5pZflR-

Some chap on ebay is selling some too but He only has 6 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/model-railwa ... Swz-Zbfek1

Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Have you looked at the whole transport / set up / break down / transport cycle?

The racking of the layout sections in the vehicle is a start.

Be careful of the load, combined weight of racking, layout, layout equipment and stock, driver and passenger(s) must not take the vehicle over maximum specified all up weight.

Oh dear, the racking sits on top of the spare tyre and tools for jacking and replacing the wheel with a puncture. (The puncture happens on a desolate stretch of the M xx in driving rain. But you are mega fit and determined and have a plastic sheet and cord to tie on weather protection over the exposed layout.)

On arrival, it's a 100 yard walk with two flights of steps between the nearest vehicle parking and the layout allocated space in the hall (Did I mention that the driving rain has now become snow, and there's ice underneath the lying snow.)

There's only enough floor space available for the fully erected layout as the gangways and operator areas have to be clear for safety and exhibitor movement at all times. So the first piece of the layout that comes in has to be erected on arrival, and subsequent pieces bolt on.

But erection has to go on hold because the power main in your allocated area loses supply and isn't rectifiable, and you need to get the 70 m mains cable that you have in reserve run around to get to the nearest available power point before access is obstructed.

While you are sorting that out the adjacent layout 'Swinmonster' has been slightly mis-sited, and the final three feet is now standing where the end of your layout was to go. Show organiser decrees that at 70 feet long Swinmonster is immovable, so you had better be the one to move.

Having finally carefully set up and levelled the layout on erection the previous evening, on arrival for opening the layout is no longer standing level and stable, the entire floor has moved under combination of the imposed load and the building's movement due to the recent temperature change. Are you ever glad that you used easily adjusted levelling devices on the leg ends

You level up, and the floor moves again when the public comes in. Are you ever glad that you used easily adjusted levelling devices on the leg ends, once again.

That's a good show...

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:03 pm

It's funny with discussions about portable layouts as everyone has their own views which can be wildly differing. For instance, I know one person who always uses dowels to line up the boards but another who always allows some slack in the holes for the nuts and bolts allowing some adjustment! Total opposites!!

Re legs, Mountain, how do you do them? I use trestles at present but on the new one am considering legs!

I looked at a "rack" for the boards but felt it took up too much space in the car, reducing the size of the boards I could use. I bolt two boards together to give stability instead.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:00 pm

I've tackled most of these, with different answers for different layouts...
...and also for different aims or grades of portability. A layout for getting out and playing with at home and a layout that has to survive regular car trips to exhibitions might turn out to be rather different on baseboards, for example.

My first exhibition layout had heavy chipboards and 2x1 construction, hinged locking legs with adjustable feet. joins by bolt and alignment dowels.
Served for 14+ years.
My last exhibition layout had lightweight baseboards and no legs. Joins solely by track clips.

In both cases the boards were 4ft long, which was fine in my modest cars.
In the first case the boards bolted together with end pieces in pairs, face in, to give two "crates" for safe handling.
In the last the baseboards were flat and just stacked, all buildings, walls etc. being removable.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:07 pm

I like to keep the rear seats up, hence that old adage "4x2 will fit in most cars" doesn't apply! The width of the boot most medium sized cars (Golf class) is about a metre so all my boards are 3ft or thereabouts. When you have to fit a folding wheelchair and a three people in amongst the layout it concentrates the mind somewhat!

Rule 1: Always measure the interior of any new car BEFORE purchasing!

Rule 2: Just because it looks bigger (i.e. a SUV) doesn't mean to say it is bigger inside. (Most SUVs are smaller inside than their estate counterpart!)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Trestles are the most popular method and understandably so as they are simple and reliable.
How did I make my legs? Some pictures may explain more. The main board has two sets of legs. This also supports one end of the second board so the second board only needs one set of legs.
The photos were taken at different times so the "Piggy back" boards legs have been modified since to use less material and also to avoid the potential for feet to kick the sideways leg by accident as it seems vulnerable to this. I have shown two photos of how the piggyback board was as they show the principle the best.
Basically the legs fold out from under the layout and then fold again to support themselves.
Attachments
IMG_20171028_102111.jpg
IMG_20171028_102344.jpg
IMG_20171028_102320.jpg
IMG_20180803_164227.jpg
IMG_20180824_155703.jpg

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks Mountain!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:16 pm

b308 wrote:Thanks Mountain!

You are most welcome.
I have more photos of the design on the Llwyndrissi Halt thread in the "Layouts under construction" section.

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:52 am

The dowel/adjustable argument for baseboard joins tends to depend on how stable your baseboard material is. Unsealed MDF can increase/decrease in thickness by a few millimetres in which case the adjustable interface works best as you will probably need to reset the joints two or three times a day. If using well sealed plywood there will be no discernible movement so dowels will be excellent.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”