Track identification...

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Emettman

Re: Track identification...

Postby Emettman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm using Anyrail: i found, for me, it was the easiest to learn, the most instinctive.

After a few plays I invested in the paid version, and have never regretted it.
Chronically ill, sometimes it's the only playing with trains that I can do, and I seem to have an eye for it.

The colour is only suggested electrical sections, it doesn't appear on the final result!

TTE8.jpg

8 R609's...
I had a bit of a surprise there.
Starting from the now grey picture above, I can work five of them into the outer oval without making anything else too terrible, leaving three, and one cut in half would give two 608's which would tidily serve in the central sidings.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Emettman wrote:I'm using Anyrail: i found, for me, it was the easiest to learn, the most instinctive.

After a few plays I invested in the paid version, and have never regretted it.
Chronically ill, sometimes it's the only playing with trains that I can do, and I seem to have an eye for it.

The colour is only suggested electrical sections, it doesn't appear on the final result!

TTE8.jpg

8 R609's...
I had a bit of a surprise there.
Starting from the now grey picture above, I can work five of them into the outer oval without making anything else too terrible, leaving three, and one cut in half would give two 608's which would tidily serve in the central sidings.

Chris

Sorry to hear about your illness, but the practise seems to have worked well for you on anyrail!

Thanks for that last design, showed him that and now that it's not all different colours he loves it. Put a little bit of track together today and gave him a barely running tank engine to have a little play with and he had great fun going round and round and into the siding. Unfortunately his older brother won't just leave him alone to play and interferes all the time.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Sounds good.

On that last plan there is another option: the elongated connecting track can just as well pass South of the short platform, so that this now serves the inner loop and the connecting track.

It is possible to take a point off the bottom right curve of the return loop without making it too tight, thus clearing the siding points away from what would then be a stretch of platform straight.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Quick thread revival. I finally got around to making the base board on little castors for him to pull out from under the bed. Unfortunately I had to make it a little smaller than planned, as I'd not actually measured how much room is between his bed and the chest of drawers on the opposite wall, and the legs of the bed aren't as far apart as I thought. So new measurements to work with are a board 110cm wide and 189cm long, not too much different to the original sizes so shouldn't cause too much of an issue. He's also going to have limited access around the board to switch points, and I don't have the money to be sorting them all out so they're remotely operated. In view of that I'm going to need to try and keep most of the point accessible from only 2 sides, 1 long side and 1 end.

Now for an impatient wait for Christmas to come so I can actually get on with laying some track for him and running trains!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”