Southern Region EMU

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.

Southern Region EMU

Postby 4472 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:41 pm

I have a Hornby 2-BIL number 2142 and it looks a bit lonely. I would like to add 2 extra coaches, but which ones would be suitable. I could add another 2-BIL or 2-HAL set but as I am purely analogue and have no intentions to go to DCC would 2 motors on a 4 car set work. I have seen sets advertised with the motor disabled/removed but I am not competent or confident enough to do that. Are there any coaches that would match my existing set. Also would they be suitable to connect up with minimal modifications
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

mjb1961

Re: Southern Region EMU

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi ,,,I have if you were interested a Bachmann class 411 ,4CEP with small yellow panels,only one motor and interior lights ,,,it's absolutely as new ,never been run ,only a brief test ,,the three coaches that make up the set have never been removed,the box/boxes also excellent ,,,Google Bachmann 31-426A to see what they are and look like ,,,if you are interested I'll be asking £100 plus post @£10 in the uk ,,,the latest releases of these from Bachmann are RRP £300,,,,,,,martin

RFS

Postby RFS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:43 pm

The 2-BIL and 2-HAL are fixed 2-car units and adding any extra coaches would simply not look right. You should have no problem adding a second unit even on DC. The motors are identical and therefore well matched, plus the current consumption for just 2 cars is quite low. The last additional 2-BIL I bought cost me £59 - not much more than a couple of unpowered coaches. You should easily find another unit by shopping around, or on Ebay.
Robert Smith

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 am

I agree with RFS: buy another BIL or HAL unit at a bargain price and you should find they run perfectly well together. For the best results, run the two motor ends coupled together, with the driving trailers at the outer ends of the pair.

The 4 CEP offered by Martin is a nice unit and probably runs even better than the Hornby units, and has the added bonus of lighting. However, 4 CEPs and 2 BILs or HALs could not work together in real life as the control systems and brake setup were incompatible with each other.
Last edited by SRman on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4472 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 am

Looks like I will now look for some bargains on eBay. Thanks for the advice
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Just for fun (please, no one take this seriously), I thought I'd have a go at inserting a couple of coaches into a 2 HAL unit. Then, thinking further, I thought to myself, the last two 4 LAV units were built to the pre-war Bulleid style, with the driving motor coaches being very similar to the 2 HAL DMBS coaches, so I took the motorised driving caches from two of my green 2 HAL units, and added two of the standard corridor Maunsell coaches, an SK and a CK, orienting them so only the CK's corridor side showed. For some reason the green on the SK is a little lighter, even though it is from the same (loco-hauled) set as the CK.

Of course this is still inaccurate in a large number of ways: there should be no corridor connections within the unit, the centre cars should be 62' 6" long, not 59' long, and there should be no toilets or side corridor in the all-second (white windows are a dead giveaway!), and the first class sections are wrong or absent (there should be a first class compartment in the trailer second, making it a composite too). There should also not be the black triangle on the front face of the driving car, seeing as those denoted the van end on 2- or 3-car units.

So, after the long preamble, here is the impressionist version of a Bulleid-style 4 LAV.

4 LAV Impersonation Using 2 HALs by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”