Hornby r4871 Brighton Belle Coach Pack

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mjb1961

Hornby r4871 Brighton Belle Coach Pack

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:47 am

Hi ,,,,many of you may already know that Hornby have released a three coach pack for the Brighton Belle ,,anyway what I'm asking is ,I have the 1934 motorised set which are in the umber and cream colours,,would these new releases be a match for them as I'm thinking they are more for the 1960s umber and cream motorised set ,,,,any advice would be great ,or has anyone bought these to go with the 1934 set ,,,,look forward to hearing from you ,,,,,,thanks mjb

SRman

Re: Hornby r4871 Brighton Belle Coach Pack

Postby SRman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 pm

They aren't entirely suitable for the 1934 set, depending on how much accuracy you want. The catalogue artwork shows the smaller Pullman crest, so that is good, but the 2nd (or 3rd) class car only has "Car No 85", whereas for the 1934 set it should really have a longer panel saying "Car No 85 Third Class". If you can live with that inaccuracy, and with the possible mismatch of unit number, then they would not look out of place.

It would be possible to renumber and rename either the three trailer cars to match the motor cars' unit number, or you could redo the unit and car numbers on the motor cars to match the trailers.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

SRman wrote:They aren't entirely suitable for the 1934 set, depending on how much accuracy you want. The catalogue artwork shows the smaller Pullman crest, so that is good, but the 2nd (or 3rd) class car only has "Car No 85", whereas for the 1934 set it should really have a longer panel saying "Car No 85 Third Class". If you can live with that inaccuracy, and with the possible mismatch of unit number, then they would not look out of place.

It would be possible to renumber and rename either the three trailer cars to match the motor cars' unit number, or you could redo the unit and car numbers on the motor cars to match the trailers.

THANKYOU SRman,,,,what about the roof colour ,,I can live with mismatch of numbers etc but would prefere the colours to match ,,,,thanks again Martin ,,,,
PS ,,,,,are you the SRman in Australia who bought a merchant navy class off me a couple of years ago :D :D

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 am

mjb1961 wrote:
THANKYOU SRman,,,,what about the roof colour ,,I can live with mismatch of numbers etc but would prefere the colours to match ,,,,thanks again Martin ,,,,
PS ,,,,,are you the SRman in Australia who bought a merchant navy class off me a couple of years ago :D :D

Hi Martin, I am indeed the SRman in Oz. Your MN has found a good 'forever' home here! I tend not to sell anything like this.:)

In answer to the roof colour question, I'm not sure what colour the roof was on the 1934 set - a couple of illustrations look like it has silver roofs. Again, looking at the artwork for the new centre cars, it is not clear whether they are white or silver. The roofs are probably the easiest part of the vehicles to repaint, though, if you want to get them matching all the way through.

I seem to recall a couple of images and videos showing the real 1960s Belle with weathered silver roofs.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:01 am

Thankyou SRman ,,,,I'll investigate,,,the 1934 set I have ,have a white/off white roof,,,the trailer cars look like white as well ,but I've seen some images where they look silver ,also some retailers descriptions state they are era 6 and another era 4 ,,,so I don't know ,,,martin :D

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am

I have the 2012 (?) release 1934 Brighton Belle Train Pack and matching three coaches released in 1934 livery issued to complete the five coach set. I can confirm all the roofs are (off) white, the same shade as Hornby Pullman coach white roofs.
Last edited by Bigglesof266 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am

double post - deleted

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:22 am

Bigglesof266 wrote:I have the 2012 (?) release 1934 Brighton Belle Train Pack and matching three coaches released in 1934 livery issued to complete the five coach set. I can confirm all the roofs are (off) white, the same shade as Hornby Pullman coach white roofs.

Thankyou biggles ,,,,mjb

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:21 am

Warning: I have just found out that the new coach pack (and the new, matching driving motor cars) have NEM coupling pockets and don't have the multi-pin and socket electrical connections.

What this means is that to use the older pullman driving cars, you'll have to rip out the couplings and add NEM pockets to match, or rig some other form of coupling the items together. Apparently, the new cars are wired to pick up power directly from the track for the lighting now, and each is self contained. That also means tha to get the lights working in the unpowered driving car, you'll have to wire pickups from the wheels to the lighting (shouldn't be too difficult) .

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:48 am

SRman wrote:Warning: I have just found out that the new coach pack (and the new, matching driving motor cars) have NEM coupling pockets and don't have the multi-pin and socket electrical connections.

What this means is that to use the older pullman driving cars, you'll have to rip out the couplings and add NEM pockets to match, or rig some other form of coupling the items together. Apparently, the new cars are wired to pick up power directly from the track for the lighting now, and each is self contained. That also means tha to get the lights working in the unpowered driving car, you'll have to wire pickups from the wheels to the lighting (shouldn't be too difficult) .

Ar well,,,,that's the end of that idea ,,,,thankyou for pointing that out ,I'll just leave it as it is ,I'm not going to start modifying things ,,,,,martin

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:29 am

Makes me doubly glad I lashed out on all three coaches immediately they first released at close to full SRP even from my reliable supplier who usually did prices better than that. He read the market too.

I thought it weird at the time that Hornby choose to release the matching coaches individually rather than as a 1934 coach pack. Rather than wait hoping the price would fall, I bought them all quickly, realising the inevitible that one of the three would be sure to rapidly become unavailable, with a long wait between drinks to pick it up again if at all possible. Sure enough, the coaches sold out in record time everywhere, much faster than the train pack driving cars with one of the three completely sold out shortly after release leaving many with a four carriage train for sure.

Moving along six years, and we've not seen the 1934 livery re-release TMK. Perhaps next year?

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”