A question !

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Dublo

A question !

Post by Dublo »

Hello all

I have a question does anyone know if it is possible to run Trix Twin locomotives on Hornby Dublo 3 rail without major rebuilding ?

Thanks
mahoganydog

Re: A question !

Post by mahoganydog »

Hi Dublo,

I think you can with the later ones but the earlier have course wheels that will cause problems through the points.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Before you go any further. In my HD 3 rail collection I have six TTR wagons. They look very much like Hornby Dublo tinplate wagons with the same couplings except they have loads and here is where the difficulties begin. Their wheels are slightly smaller and are plastic. The gauge is narrower by about 1 to 2 mm, but this isn't difficult to change by the look of it. The wheel flanges are thicker and much deeper then Hornby Dublo 3 rail track will take, so you need to turn each wheel in a lathe. I have not done this with mine as yet. I was rather hoping I'd find a Trix Twin collector who could buy them off me to save me converting them. :lol:
The general answer is yes,but with work (Referring to wagons and coaches). I wouldn't like to consider converting a loco.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The rolling stock, would be OK with a change of wheels. Locos would require some extensive work to change the wheels to HD standards. Given the age of them I would be reluctant to attempt it. You would also need to do something about the AC/DC motors if they are to run off standard DC controllers.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is much easier to convert a standard 2 rail model to run on three rail. For some reason I've seen a few Lima GWR pannier tanks (94xx) converted to three rail. Did someone specialize in converting this model at one time?
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Are you sure it was a LIMA pannier tank? Lima didn't appear on the scene until Hornby Dublo was history. It's more likely to be a Graham Farish model that has been converted to 3 rail, it's a particularly easy conversion especially if you have a spare HD third rail pickup assembly. I wasn't aware of the GF model at the time but I've recently seen two or three of them offered on Ebay.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

No, they were definitely Lima. I've recently seen a Farish pannier on a Trix Twin chassis. Yes, these Lima locos were converted years after HD were produced. I think I've seen three Lima panniers so far over the years converted.
windcutter9f

Post by windcutter9f »

Yes,later Trix can be run on HD 3rail,Transpennine units,EM1s,Brittanias,Cl.V etc.providing they have scale or convertible wheels & with a slight mod.to the p/up shoes with a drawing pin head.Here`s one of my Transpennine units running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzWm2awWCY

Ray.